SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 11-01-2006, 06:30 PM
Sage Advanced User

Problems setting up Media Extender for the 1st time

I have a HTPC running Sage 5.04 (Windows) as a service and I have 2 Extender/Placeshifter licenses and 2 wired MediaMVPs. I've activated the licenses and enabled Placeshifter and Server in SageTV. My network is setup with static IPs so I 'm trying to use my MediaMVP(s) with static IPs. The MediaMVP I'm trying to use is a E1 model. My network configuration is the following: The HTPC has a wired connection to a Belkin 54G wireless router. The MediaMVP has a wired connection to another Belkin 54G wireless router set up to act as a bridge.

The static IP of my HTPC is 192.168.1.20. The static IP of the router the HTPC is connected to is 192.168.1.40. The static IP of the router connected to the MediaMVP and configured as a bridge is 192.168.1.50. The MAC address of the MediaMVP is: 00:0D:FE:00:79:40 and I want to give the MediaMVP a static IP of 192.168.1.51. I entered the following line :

miniserver/clients=MVP/00:0D:FE:00:79:40/192.168.1.51

in the Sage.properties file after I stopped the service. After restarting the service this was the line I found in Sage.properties

miniserver/clients=MVP/00\:0D\:FE\:00\:79\:40/192.168.1.51

I performed the physical hookup of the MediaMVP as outlined in the Sage manual and then plugged in the MediaMVP. I got the MediaMVP splash screen. but the Sage interface never came up. I'm able to ping the router being used as a bridge from my other computers with no problems.

I dont know what the problem is. Can anyone help? Thanks.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:57 PM
Sage Icon

doesn't the MVP do a DHCP to get an IP from your router, then does a bootp to the tftp server within Sage? I didn't think it did a DHCP involving Sage.

You sound router-savy, so you know that you can likely use your router's DHCP server's fixed DHCP - where you tell your router what IP to give out to a given MAC address.
Old 11-05-2006, 04:33 AM
Sage Aficionado

I had similar experience. I wanted to connect my MVP directly to my HTPC (so not via LAN but cross-cable), it did work with the Hauppauge service but not with the SageTV service. I got as input from Sage to try to set an MVP IP address in the properties - as you did - and observed an identical 'change' of property setting. At end it didn't work (yet I hope).

As I understand today, the MVP does initially a boot request for an IP. The Hauppauge software has a limited DHCP functionality build in, and does give the MVP an IP - the SageTV client doesn't. I understand that some have given the MVP a 'fixed' IP via their DHCP (MAC based IP setting).

(Note: after obtaining the IP the MVP downloads the SageTV package and boots on it, again performing a boot request for an IP)