SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV International User Forums > SageTV Canada
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Canada SageTV and SageTV Recorder Users from Canada - This forum is for you to post about specific issues using SageTV software in Canada.

Old 10-28-2003, 07:01 PM
Sage Aficionado

Roll Call for Canadians - Guide listings for Canada

Well guys and gals, one incentive to Frey to add Canadian listings to the SageTV product is to convince them that there's enough of us out there willing to buy SageTV licences to make it worth their while. So I've started this thread to gauge the numbers of Canadians who either already have SageTV (and are using xmltv to get listings) or would buy SageTV if it offered Canadian listings.

So let's show them that it makes good business sense to support us Canadians. Sign on to this thread.

Disclaimer: I am not affliated with Frey Technologies at all except as a happy user. However it is in my interest and the interest of all Canadians who use or want to use SageTV to have them support Canadian listings. So, the more people who sign on to the thread, the greater will be the strength of the message to Frey.

Cheers
Lester
English Proverb. Collected in: George Herbert, Jacula Prudentum (1651).
Old 10-28-2003, 07:52 PM
Sage Advanced User

Great idea Lester,

I started a similar thread on the SnapStream PVS forum a few weeks ago and while it certainly was not the only thing that made Canadian listings happen (Canadian listings were part of the long term plan, there was a fairly steady stream of users asking for it for months, the Dev team was very supportive and wanted to make it happen, etc.), I think the response from Canadian users made it loud and clear that it was a worthwhile investment.

Since then, the interest has only increased and the SnapStream folks are really trying to promote and leverage the fact that Canadian listings are now available.

For my part, I am fairly happy with SnapStream (no, don't hate me) but I would love to see Sage support Canadian listings. That is the show stopper for me !

I already use a PVR 250 board and use almost exclusively the MPEG format. So it would not be much of a leap to switch over to Sage.

And, I keep on longing for some of the features that Sage already supports, like multi-tuner, multi-listings, intelligent recordings, etc.

That combined with what seems to be coming down the pipes with Sage 2, I could make the switch, if only for Canadian listings...

So, come on fellow Canadians, lets make it loud and clear to the Sage team that it is worthwhile for them to include Canadian listings !!!!

Last edited by Berg; 10-28-2003 at 10:07 PM.
Old 10-28-2003, 08:16 PM
Sage Expert

Add my voice.
Old 10-29-2003, 02:17 PM
Sage Advanced User

OK, I can't deal with this

Quote from HTPCNews.com about today's interview with the Big Cheese, Dan ...

Quote:
I have one thing to say... Sage 2.0 is going to redefine the HTPC Market.

SageTV WILL indeed have client software that will run on the Hauppauge MediaMVP! You will be able to pull up the guide; you'll be able to setup recordings, watch TV, and everything else you can do via Sage TV!!!
So, now that I really, really want to try out Sage, can we get some sense of when, if ever, we could get Canadian listings,
Pleeeaasssseeee !

Old 10-29-2003, 02:37 PM
Sage Aficionado

Well with only three of us signed up to this thread so far, it doesn't send a very convincing message to Frey. Where are all the Canadians?

Lester
English Proverb. Collected in: George Herbert, Jacula Prudentum (1651).
Old 10-29-2003, 03:22 PM
Sage User

Count me in also. Canada EPG support is all I'm waiting for to make the plunge to Sage

Myro
Old 10-29-2003, 09:36 PM

I would pay today for the program if they supported Canadian TV Guide!
Old 10-29-2003, 09:40 PM
Sage Expert

Not to sidetrack the thread, but to the posters stating they would pay for SageTV "if there was a Canadian guide":

You should really try the XMLTV data: it's pretty damn good on it's own. Not having Sage specific giode data should in no affect your decision in buying SageTV.
Old 10-30-2003, 11:20 AM
Sage Aficionado

Ditto... Proud owner of several Sage, SageClient and SageRecorder licenses...
Old 10-31-2003, 12:52 PM
Sage User

Count me in.

Bring on the Canadian listings!
Old 11-02-2003, 12:54 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally posted by Grungy Remnant
Count me in.

Bring on the Canadian listings!
Ditto........
Old 11-03-2003, 12:27 AM
Sage Advanced User

I use SageTV with XMLTV. Quite happy with it.
Old 11-05-2003, 03:18 PM

Smile

Count me in as another Canadian/potential SageTV user. I've been leaning towards SnapStream because of their recent addition of Canadian TV listings. I'm trying to create a wife-friendly PC-PVR and those listings are a must for what I want.

I'll be happy to hear if olyar15 would post what their TV source is [ie. cable, Satellite, etc] and any other info XMLTV, like a FAQ or other learning guide.

Quote:
Originally posted by olyar15
I use SageTV with XMLTV. Quite happy with it.
Old 11-05-2003, 07:49 PM
Sage User

Yes, Canadian listings please. I'm using XMLTV of course, but would much rather see the full zap2it type listings.

Slightly OT and no flames please: Would it be possible for 'other' countries like Australia, UK, Germany, etc, to have data available on a pay-per-month basis? My thinking here is that that in these countries there IS no other real PVR alternative (where ReplayTV and Tivo isn't even sold), SageTV could get sales IF it had reliable integrated listings. I know if I lived in Finland or somewhere that had no XMLTV, I'd be willing to pay some $$ each month to the only game in town PVR product.

Clearly I'd love to see free listings, particularly for Canada. But if I had a choice of a premium providers pay per month listings for a small fee or NO listings, I'd be prepared to pay the small fee.

Who knows - if Frey did this and it generated enough sales volume, we'd probably end up with free listings anyway
Old 11-07-2003, 10:30 AM

Count me in. I can drink from that trough!! XMLTV, OK; fully integrated solution, better.
Old 11-18-2003, 09:57 PM
Sage User

The lack of Canadian listings is the show stopper for me right now. Hopefully when they are available, digital cable listings will be provided as well.
Old 11-25-2003, 04:58 PM
Sage User

Hi everyone, sorry for not posting sooner, lots going on! I hope to fill you guys in on where we are at with Canadian EPG support for our product. I will put together a comprehensive post this weekend.

Thanks for your patience,

Craig.
Old 12-01-2003, 06:15 PM
Sage User

Ahh, sorry guys, I'm going to be a few days late here! I'll keep you posted (literally)

Craig.
Old 12-01-2003, 11:18 PM
Sage User

Sounds intriguing. I hope the Canadian EPG will be free of charge like the US version. Although the fact that you are from a seperate company from Frey makes that seem pretty unlikely...
Old 12-02-2003, 11:39 PM
Sage User

ready to buy

if only the cdn listings were available!