SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 11-07-2006, 04:30 AM
Sage User

Angry Using MVPs on network with more than 1 SageTV server?

First off I have three MVPs in the house. They all have different firmware versions (1.0, 2.04 and 2.05).

If I run all Hauppauge servers, each MVP will bootup, get an IP from the DHCP and then call to a server. It then seems to load a new version of the firmware and reboots. If I hit OK when prompted after the reboot, I can choose which server on the network the MVP will connect to and it does connect to the chosen server. This works with each MVP.

If I run all SageTV servers, only the 2.05 MVP is actually able to choose which SageTV server to connect to. The 2.04 MVP let's you "choose" a server but then connects to whichever server responds first (which is usually the wrong one). With the 1.0, it connects to whichever server responds first (you get no choice at all).

If I run a Hauppauge server and two SageTV servers, all MVPs connect with the Hauppauge server first and then will let you choose which server you want to connect to. Trying to connect to a Hauppauge server works just fine while trying to connect to a SageTV server results in a "Failed To Connect To GUI Server" message.

I guess what I am really asking is this:

"When will SageTV fully support multiple MVPs and multiple SageTV servers on the same network?"

I guess until they do, I see no reason to upgrade to 6.0!!!
Old 11-07-2006, 05:09 AM
SageTVaholic

Let's try this a different way. You are trying to connect 3 MVPs to 2 different servers? Here's what I'd do.
  1. Assign MVPs reserved DHCP in your router
  2. Add a firewall restriction which denies the IPs of the MVPs you want to disallow on the server

FWIW - I am not an expert in MVP ROM versions, but the server to connect to seems like an issue to raise with Hauppauge as the firmware from Sage isn't loaded by then.

HIH

B
Old 11-07-2006, 07:22 PM
Sage User

2 Of the 3 MVPs need to connect to either of the SageTV server depending upon whom is using it.

The Hauppauge software works perfectly with all my MVPs. I just don't like the Hauppauge's user interface.

The problem is that SageTV does not load any software for choosing the correct server. SageTV just "assumes" that the MVP talking to it wants an user interface and sends it one. SageTV doesn't even consider the possibility that the user doesn't want the content (shows, music, etc.) on that particular server.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:25 PM
Sage Aficionado

I need to figure out how to update the firmware so I can choose a Sage server.

I only have one MVP at the moment, but am trying to convert over to a Linux server (as soon as they fix the timecode/ff/rew bug, I can do it). If I connect to the Linux server, I can't ff/rew any imported videos (ie, the bug), but if I am rebooting the PC at the time (it's Windows - what can you do?), I need it running.

Anyway, if my MVP connects to the wrong one, I just restart sage on that one and the MVP connects to the other.

Obviously, the ideal solution would be for the MVP to present to me a list of the servers it found (like the Placeshifter client does) and allow me to choose.

I guess I wasn't any help, here, so here's an idea:

if your servers are Windows, then this might work.
I know you said that 2 of the MVPs need to connect to either server, but here's an idea that should allow 1 to connect to either and 2 to connect to one.

you have 3 placeshifter MVP licenses. register one with each server uniquely (lic 1 with server 1 and lic 2 with server 2), then register the 3rd with both.

Then, shutdown ser2 and boot the MVP that needs to connect to ser1.
Then, boot the MVP that lets you choose, and choose ser1.
Then, start ser2 and boot the MVP that needs to connect to ser2

Then, you should be able to boot the MVP that can choose and then choose either MVP!

If you need 2 MVPs to connect to either, then get a 4th MVP and hope that it lets you choose!

I'm sure there are other things you can do with filtering to force one or the other to connect to only a particular server and using the Licensing limitations, you should be able to allow the others to pick and choose.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:27 PM
Sage Aficionado

Or, another idea....

Why not import videos between the 2 servers?

create a new dir in front of the server1 files called, "server1" and make it a network share.

Do the same for "server2"

Then, on both servers, import 'server1' and 'server2' folders.

With Sage v6, MediaCenter->ImportedVideos will take you to the top level folder and all you would see would be, "server1" and "server2" directories. You can then choose and follow the tree to what you want.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:37 PM
Sage User

Apparently SageTV doesn't support multiple MVPs with more than 1 server.

My question: How can I use each of my MVPs with the two SageTV servers?

Michael,

Unfortunately that is not supported at this time. You could put one of the
servers behind another router and use an MVP inside that router as well. But
you can't select which one you use.

Thanks,

George Oms
SageTV, LLC