SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 11-07-2006, 08:28 AM
Sage Expert

never ending search for better Picture Quality

First, thanks to every one out here. Through all the replys, etc...I have improved the picture quality significantly...Mostly through changes to the color calibration on the capture card and through tweaks using Hauppauge Tweaks.

Now, next to tackle one frustrating area. Sports....

When I watch a football game and the picture is shot from a distance, the picture looks fuzzy. It seems to be more the background (people in the stands, ground, stadium, etc...) Any close ups on the play are very good, just from a distance it is fuzzy. Ice Hockey is the worst of the pictures...(I think part of that is the strength of the channel that our local NHL hockey team is broadcast on.) Seems like the White of the ice is fuzzy and overpowers everthing else...so all is fuzzy. or blurred..

Any suggestions where to go to tweak some more to improve this..

I'm using a PVR 150 and a 500 card with Nvidia 6200TC output.

Thanks,

Gary Ellis
Old 11-07-2006, 09:12 AM
SageTVaholic

First I'd make sure you're using the latest nVidia decoders, and then that you have hardware accelleration enabled.

You might also want to consider a more powerful video card, the 6200TC is kind of limited in it's "PureVideo" functionality IIRC. Something like a 6600 might give you better deinterlacing, which should improve detail.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:57 AM
Sage Expert

Thanks..I have the latest drivers and the hardware accelleration enabled..

I've been looking at video cards and realize I need something better. Although, the output from a DVD is outstanding, even if its action...

I want to upgrade to a higher end card that will take me well into the HD/QAM arena, when the tuner cards for HD get better...

So, which card takes me there and accomplishes the better deinterlacing you were talking about?

I'm willing to pay the extra $100 for the right card...and I don't do gaming, so I don't need that..I have PCI-e, not AGP..

Thanks,

Gary
Old 11-07-2006, 12:10 PM
Sage Advanced User

http://uk.nzone.com/object/nzone_pvhd_build_uk.html
Old 11-07-2006, 01:16 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyellis
I've been looking at video cards and realize I need something better. Although, the output from a DVD is outstanding, even if its action...
DVDs are relatively easy, because they're generally progressive.

Quote:
So, which card takes me there and accomplishes the better deinterlacing you were talking about?

I'm willing to pay the extra $100 for the right card...and I don't do gaming, so I don't need that..I have PCI-e, not AGP..
If you've got PCIe, look at the 7 series, a 7300 should do SD quite well, a 7600GT will serve you well now, and for HD when you go there. 7300 should do HD well, just not quite as well as the 7600GT.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:55 PM
SageTVaholic

Not doubting anyone because others know a lot more about this stuff than I do, but I don't really know what a 7xxx cards will get you that the 6200 doesn't when it comes to SD.

The 6200 does per pixel adaptive deinterlacing like the higher end models do. Of course I don't know if there is any actual difference between the deinterlacing when compared to higher end models. It is the same "type" of deinterlacing though.

Also despite what the nvidia website says the 6200 does in fact do IVTC and Bad Edit Detection for SD. I have both an agp and pci-e version of the 6200 and they both do everything my 6600gt does feature wise for SD.

If there are other differences in the cards that affect SD quality maybe someone more knowledgable can explain them. I seem to recall some cards used higher quality scaling than others (or something like that), but I don't recall which models did what.

I just hate to see you buy a new card to get additional SD PureVideo features that your current card already has.

Last edited by blade; 11-07-2006 at 05:43 PM.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:21 PM
Sage Advanced User

Agreed, you don't need a new video card unless you start displaying HD content.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:13 PM
Sage Icon

for sports, increase the recording quality at least to "Standard DVD" or to the max if you really want better picture quality.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:44 PM
SageTVaholic

I forgot to mention it before, but also make sure you're running in smart mode instead of automatic. If you experience the "flicker" bug with smart you'll either have to live with it or switch back.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:53 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade
Also despite what the nvidia website says the 6200 does in fact do IVTC and Bad Edit Detection for SD. I have both an agp and pci-e version of the 6200 and they both do everything my 6600gt does feature wise for SD.
Not doubting you, but how did you deterimine that?
Old 11-07-2006, 10:17 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
Not doubting you, but how did you deterimine that?
When using the Nvidia decoder in smart mode on analog cable captures from my PVR500 the decoder switches between film and video. Video plays at 60 fps and film 24. I've confirmed the actual rates using FRAPS. When using automatic it runs at 60fps all the time with all of my captures.

That is what I thought IVTC and bad edit detection did, but wasn't positive. I asked here on the forums awhile back and was told that is the behavior exhibited when those two features are working. Both of my 6200s switch back and forth just like my 6600gt does.

It wouldn't be the first time I was wrong, but at least that's what I've been told those two features do.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:11 AM
SageTVaholic

OK, just curious, wanted to make sure you weren't basing it on playing as film on DVDs