SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 11-08-2006, 03:49 PM
Sage User

Multiple extenders, TVs, and Tuner Cards

What I was wondering was this.

If I, say, have a motherboard with 2 ethernet ports,
that has 2 dual TV-tuners in 2 PCI slots,
and have 2 media extenders connected to a TV each.

Is it possible to have each extender directly connected to separate ethernet ports and have SageTV media center specify eg. Tuner Card A is going to transfer its data to ethernet port A, and Tuner Card B is going to transfer its data to ethernet port B.

I am presuming that the video/audio is transferred over the ethernet cable to the extender, and the extender has all the connections for the TV and audio system.

The idea is that there would be the option of watching each TV separately and recording another channel simultaneously. So basically 4 channels being accessed at the same time.
Thoughts?
Old 11-08-2006, 04:27 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by theKramer
What I was wondering was this.

If I, say, have a motherboard with 2 ethernet ports,
that has 2 dual TV-tuners in 2 PCI slots,
and have 2 media extenders connected to a TV each.

Is it possible to have each extender directly connected to separate ethernet ports
You'll have to look but I believe the extenders need a DHCP server, so if you can setup a DHCP server on your PC, then you should be able to do that. A router is probably easier though.

Quote:
and have SageTV media center specify eg. Tuner Card A is going to transfer its data to ethernet port A, and Tuner Card B is going to transfer its data to ethernet port B.
Nope, recording and playback are completely separate. Tuners are dynamically allocated on a need basis, to scheduled recordings (manuals and favorites) and then to LiveTV.

Quote:
I am presuming that the video/audio is transferred over the ethernet cable to the extender, and the extender has all the connections for the TV and audio system.
Yup, the MPEG is streamed to the extender where it is decoded and output over the MVP's A/V connections.

Quote:
The idea is that there would be the option of watching each TV separately and recording another channel simultaneously. So basically 4 channels being accessed at the same time.
Thoughts?
That's the way it works. With 2x dual-tuners, 4 channels can be recorded at a time. Those recordings can be any combination of Favorites, IR, Manual Recorings, and Live TV. You could, with 4 extenders, watch 4 channels live simultaneously.

With your current setup, you can watch 2 live channels, and record two more, or record 4 live channels and watch two recordings, or anything inbetween.