SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 11-11-2006, 08:52 PM
Sage User

Is Power Mgmt that difficult?

Sage5 would let the system to "hibernate" after some amount of idle time. It wasn't ideal as a few hibernate cycles and the system would become trashed. Periodic power cycling solved this by (probably) cleaning up memory.
But with Sage6 it somehow prevents the hibernate from happening. I've looked at all the services and they all seem "quiescent", but no power off. And it definitely no longer powers on automagically.
It would seem pretty trivial to set the "power on" time to be some number of minutes before the next recording. And "power off" if ("not recording" & "not watching" + some number of minutes.) It can't be that difficult, can it? [Granted I'm from the unix/linux world where the OS is not motivated by greed and control... ;-)] I've looked at the add-on packages but they're all pretty old, and somewhat hackish. Can't Sage have this capability built-in?

Uh, is there a question in there? ;-)
Old 11-11-2006, 08:57 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsailor
It wasn't ideal as a few hibernate cycles and the system would become trashed.
I forgot, the coolest "feature" of hibernation is if you had the "sync to sage server time" option set, then upon wakeup from hibernation, the system would resume with the shutdown time! Of course it messed up the recordings a bit... ;-)

Cheers.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:24 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsailor
But with Sage6 it somehow prevents the hibernate from happening. I've looked at all the services and they all seem "quiescent", but no power off.
IIRC, the reason that Sage6 isn't hibernating is that since it is beta, it is always writing to the debug log, and that prevents the hibernation. The default for Sage5 is to have the debug log disabled so it would hibernate, but since Sage6 is in beta, the debug log defaults to enabled ( I dunno if it can be disabled). I always have the debug log enabled and don't hibernate, so I have no first hand knowledge on it, just saw it posted on the forum.

edit: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...59&postcount=7

Last edited by ke6guj; 11-11-2006 at 09:36 PM.
Old 11-12-2006, 12:03 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via AIM to kricker Send a message via MSN to kricker
Hmmm my system will at least enter S3 standby no problem, I haven't tried Hibernation. Maybe you can try S3 standby for now and at least save some power.