SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 11-14-2006, 05:10 PM
Sage User

Unhappy aspect ratio issues

Searching and reading older posts, I get the feeling that there have been many questions (and answers) regarding aspect ratio, but the threads I hit didn't seem to match up with what I am seeing. So:

I have HTPC running sage server -> DVI -> Samsung DLP 50" 16x9.
SageMC 16x9 UI
content - I have SD TV recordings and hard drive based DVD's ripped with DVD Shrink.
All content and UI seems to display great on the server/Samsung DLP with aspect ratio set to "source". TV recordings show up 4x3 with black bars on the sides...DVD's that are 16x9 fill the screen. Perfect.

Second room is MVP -> S-video -> Toshiba LCD 27" 16x9
No matter what I try I can't seem to get either TV shows or DVD playback from the server to show the correct aspect ratio. In some cases, the TV SD recording playback is cropped (or zoomed)...in other cases, the DVD playback looks "stretchy" on the sides, like you are looking through a fisheye lens. I've tried tinkering with the aspect ratio setting under the SageMC settings menu, I've tried going back to the original sage STV and tinkering with aspect ratio to make the circle look like a circle....but to no avail. I haven't seen the TV recordings or the DVD playback look correct yet. The Toshiba TV has "pic size" settings (normal, theater wide, theater wide 2, etc.) but regardless of what I set this too, the signal from the MVP is already cropped/zoomed. And from what I can tell, the UI is cropped as well.

I'm totally lost on how to fix this. I don't really understand the aspect ratio stuff to start with...anyone got any ideas? Based on the above info, what *should* work as far as the MVP/Toshiba setup? Any more info needed?
Old 11-14-2006, 06:11 PM
Sage Aficionado

What version of SageTV are you running? The beta has a lot of improvement in this area, everything actually displays properly on a 4:3 TV now, can't comment on how it works with a 16:9 TV. But if you are running 5.X or older, its probably not going to display properly.
Old 11-18-2006, 06:49 PM
Sage User

You should be able to remove the black bars by right-clicking and selecting aspect ratios from the menu and select 4:3 when watching 4:3 content. (16:9 when watching 16:9 content. I am running Sage v6, so this may be a new feature.) This should stretch the image. I have to do this on my 42" plasma when watching 4:3 content. Otherwise...the pillarbox look! It's not that big of a deal, but you paid for 42" of screen so you might as well get it.

I would assume the MVP would be a similar issue, but I am not sure how to switch aspect ratios on these.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:26 PM
Sage Aficionado

Have a look at http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14146. This stv allows you to 'fix' those video's that do not give the correct ratio. Well, better read the thread, it has some good links to more ratio info.

As you are as me using MC16x9, I'll already tell you that you'll need to change the .stv in .xml (the latest MC16x9 only allows .xml uploads). I did it, it works.

The only item I'm not sure of is your TV set options. I'm in Europe, and as the world does not make things simple by using one approach/standard , there are differences (e.g., Europe uses scart to connect MVP to TV). My (non HD but still 16x9) TV has a ratio option "automatic", which basically has the TV react on the ratio signal it receives (and which this stv can control). Not sure if you got that.

What jredwine2857 suggest is I believe basically instead of you each time changing your HDTV selected ratio, change SageTV's ratio 'signal' (and if that works, the stv should in my opinion also work for you).

Wel, you can always give it a try - fairly simple and quick to install. If you do and it works, do let me know if this also did it for your UI (I just can't get that one in 16x9 mode )