SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 11-15-2006, 08:56 AM
Sage Expert

Problem with volume control since installing ac3filter

Hiya

I've had 6 beta running fine for some time.

About a week ago, I bought an optical cable to get 5.1 output from my PC (Shuttle SN95G5) into my amp (Sony DAV S550) Initially, I couldn't get 5.1 output through Sage (although it worked through PowerDVD etc) I stumbled across this thread :

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20347

and that appears to have resolved the issue (Although I couldn't find those mplayer options in Sage.properties, I ended up editing SageClient.properties)

Since then, the volume control (45 button Hauppauge remote) doesn't have eny effect (the slider moves but the volume stays the same) on live TV, recorded TV or imported videos (It does work for Music) Even when I press the mute button the volume bar goes red but sound remains at the same level

I tried reverting audio renderer and audio decoder back to default but its made no effect. I've not removed ac3filter via control panel (I'll try that tonight - but ideally I'd like 5.1 for imported videos and DVDs etc)

I also found a thread last night (but can't find it now) which talked about changing media_player_uses_system_volume - I have it set to true, but wonder if this is still applicable as Sage 6 now uses mplayer

Finally, although I'm using latest SageMC, I see the same problem with the default STV

Thanks

Tim
Old 11-15-2006, 11:29 AM
SageTVaholic

If you're using SPDIF passthrough, then the onscreen volume control has no effect. That's by design. The expectation is that in passthrough mode, your receiver handles AC3 decoding and volume control.

AC3Filter does have a mode in which it can decode, transform, and then re-encode the AC3 audio stream. In that mode the gain controls on the AC3Filter control panel will work, but SageTV's volume control still won't (since Sage still thinks you're in passthough mode).
Old 11-15-2006, 12:01 PM
Sage Expert

Even though I've set the decoder/renderer back to default ? I guess I should try removing AC3filter to see if thats the trigger.

I guess I then need to see if the Sony can be programmed to received the IR signal from the Hauppauge remote :-)

Cheers

Tim
Old 11-20-2006, 03:44 AM
Sage Expert

Final follow up on this (in case someone stumbles across this thread in the future)

You can configure ac3filter to *not* passthrough mpeg2 and PCM and only passthrough AC3 and DTS. This means the volume control in Sage works for live & recorded TV (thus maintaining WAF) and only needs controlling on the amp for DVD rips and DVDs in 5.1

Cheers

Tim