SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 11-23-2006, 12:54 AM
Sage Advanced User

blu-ray/hd-dvd support

Haven't seen a lot of discussion about this... Just wondering if/when Sage will support software playback of blu-ray/hddvd now that internal drives (at least blu-ray; I'm not sure if internal hd-dvd drives are out) are somewhat affordable.

I've had a look at a friend's blu-ray playback with the included PowerDVD player and it's pretty astonishing.

Anyway, I'm sure there are all sorts of licensing issues, but given that Nvidia has PurevideoHD out in beta, players are more and more available, and the list of HDCP compliant cards is growing, I wouldn't think this would be that hard.

Anybody here doing blu-ray/hddvd yet (outside of Sage)?

cheers,
Dave
Old 11-23-2006, 07:55 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfitz43
Haven't seen a lot of discussion about this... Just wondering if/when Sage will support software playback of blu-ray/hddvd now that internal drives (at least blu-ray; I'm not sure if internal hd-dvd drives are out) are somewhat affordable.

I've had a look at a friend's blu-ray playback with the included PowerDVD player and it's pretty astonishing.

Anyway, I'm sure there are all sorts of licensing issues, but given that Nvidia has PurevideoHD out in beta, players are more and more available, and the list of HDCP compliant cards is growing, I wouldn't think this would be that hard.

Anybody here doing blu-ray/hddvd yet (outside of Sage)?

cheers,
Dave
+1 this could even be a paid option...
Old 11-23-2006, 10:25 PM
Sage Expert

He had a disc actualy playing back in a PC? I thought that wasnt going to be possible w/o Windows Vista. Shows how much mis-information there is out there about those formats.

Sage might have trouble getting a liscense for playback due to their client and placeshifitng tech.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:58 AM
Sage Advanced User

Yeah, this is very much possible right now. My friend has the Sony BluRay burner, which came with PowerDVD version supporting bluray. Just need an HDCP compliant video card, and hello 1080p. Pretty sweet. Hopefully, it won't take Sage too long to incorporate this.

I hadn't thought of the licensing issues WRT client/placeshifting, etc. Could definitely complicate things.

I'd be willing to pay for this, if it came to that.

cheers,
Dave
Old 11-25-2006, 09:51 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I hadn't thought of the licensing issues WRT client/placeshifting, etc. Could definitely complicate things.
I don't think this would be a problem; basic DVD playback is not supported by Placeshifter. Clients would play the disc locally, just like any other DVD player.

Personally, I'm skeptical about HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. I have a feeling it'll be much like the transition from the early single-layer/dual-sided DVD's to the modern single-sided/dual-layered DVD's. The early discs contained just the movie (typically one version per side). The later ones retained the same video quality and simply stuffed menus, trailers, and special features into the remaining space.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:20 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Yeah, this is very much possible right now. My friend has the Sony BluRay burner, which came with PowerDVD version supporting bluray. Just need an HDCP compliant video card, and hello 1080p. Pretty sweet. Hopefully, it won't take Sage too long to incorporate this.
It will take a very, very long time for Sage to integrate HD DVD/Blu-ray playback, they'd have to rearchitect the entire media engine to get it to work. Sage is built on DirectShow, and using filters/decoders for playback.

It's not possible (not allowed) to use DShow for AACS protected content. There's one piece you're missing in the requirements: COPP. COPP is not possible/available through DShow. COPP requires a direct connection between the playback software and the video card drivers.

Maybe with Vista and PVP OPM, but until then, we're SOL except for PowerDVD 6.5/6.6 or Japanese WinDVD 8. Neither of which are available in the US.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:40 AM
Sage Expert

I belive Blu-ray/HD-DVD discs are already coming with extras. However Blu-ray was supposed to have some super fancy menu systems that I dont think are totally together yet.

The big problem is... TWO formats. Most studios are now releasing on HD-DVD or on both formats, very few just on Blu-ray (exception being Sony owned studios). My guess is HD-DVD wins, but thats just a guess.

IMO their content proctection schemes are invasive and unfair. There are already ways for profesional pirates to get around these (SDI boards and such, and I read an article on someone who figured out how to take BMP image of every frame, difficult and time consuming yes, but that makes it possible to strip all protection). But we, the average consumers get screwed. I dont think the player would even work with one of my TV's if all the protection systems on a disc are being used, no HDCP. So I have to throw out a $1000 TV to watch a movie, and get 2 very expensive players for every TV?!
Old 11-25-2006, 10:54 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobosrul
I belive Blu-ray/HD-DVD discs are already coming with extras. However Blu-ray was supposed to have some super fancy menu systems that I dont think are totally together yet.

The big problem is... TWO formats. Most studios are now releasing on HD-DVD or on both formats, very few just on Blu-ray (exception being Sony owned studios). My guess is HD-DVD wins, but thats just a guess.
Well, at the moment (off the top of my head):
HD DVD
  • Warner
  • Paramount
  • Universal*

Blu-ray
  • Sony*
  • MGM*
  • Fox*
  • Disney*
  • Warner
  • Paramount

Plus some indies. That said, HD DVD has almost twice as many releases as Blu-ray at this point, and also the three of "HD DVD's studios" collections dwarf most of the Blu-ray studios collections.

At this point, as far a studio support is concerned, it's really unimportant. Most movies are not available on either format, most won't be available on either for a good while, and HD DVD has more releases out, and continues to put more out than Blu-ray.

What will really be interesting is to see what happens in the next month or two. The commonly accepted premise is that Blu-ray exclusive studios (and CE companies) are that way, primarilly because Sony convinced them that Blu-ray would score a quick kill with 2 million PS3s flooding the market, originally in Spring, and most recently 1 million by the end of the year.

However there have been reports that Sony got less than 200,000 PS3 (I've read 125,000-175,000) to shelves on launch day, and most I know don't expect many more this year.

On the other hand, Microsoft reportedly shipped 250,000 HD DVD players for it's launch (I have yet to see sales/shippment numbers for that). So at the very least MS nullified the PS3 as a BD player, and it looks like probably turned the tables on it (all HD DVD Players are used for HD movies, vs unknown % of PS3s).

Combine that with the much higher sales of HD DVDs than BDs and the much higher attach rates of HD DVD vs BDs, and I wonder how long studios will remain exclusive to BD when there's money to be made on HD DVD.

Oh, and the second generation of HD DVD players is imminent, while the first gen of Blu-ray hasn't even fully launched yet.

Quote:
IMO their content proctection schemes are invasive and unfair.
That's why the only HD DVD I own, is King Kong, which came with my 360 HD DVD Player.

Quote:
There are already ways for profesional pirates to get around these (SDI boards and such, and I read an article on someone who figured out how to take BMP image of every frame, difficult and time consuming yes, but that makes it possible to strip all protection). But we, the average consumers get screwed. I dont think the player would even work with one of my TV's if all the protection systems on a disc are being used, no HDCP. So I have to throw out a $1000 TV to watch a movie, and get 2 very expensive players for every TV?!
Well firstly, for at least the next few years, you should be able to use component (no ICT).

Second, I would expect HD DVD/Blu-ray to be only connected to the primary TV, there's not really any point connecting them to anything else.
Old 11-25-2006, 11:31 AM
SageTVaholic

I'm so glad I don't care about this stuff. It sucks to be an early adopter and have your side lose out. I've been stuck with some fairly useless technology in the past because of format wars.