SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 11-23-2006, 03:20 PM
Sage User

MVP not connecting via wireless

I am running sage beta 6. I have nielms dynamic menus installed on the server. That is the only non-stock stvi i have.

I first tried using the new Belkin N1 WAP, but the mvp kicked back an error stating it could connect to the wifi ap, but could NOT get an ip from dhcp. (It wouldn't let me get past the WIFI config.)

So, I switched back to my older Microsoft G AP. I was able to then get the MVP to at least pull an ip. But then once I hit GO, it goes to loading application, then to a black screen where it just sits.

I have then rebooted the MVP and it comes up with the MVP splashscreen, gets to the fourth bar and just hangs. It eventually reboots, and does the same thing over and over.

I do not see a file in the clients directory for the mac address of the wifi mvp. I have enabled logging and can see the first time after hitting go that Sage does see the request from the mvp. It shows the dongle.bin, etc.. It then shows many "tftp timeout".

Anyone have any luck getting these wifi MVP's to work with Sage 6 beta?

My sage.proiperties file lists the miniserver/gateway-192.168.0.1 which is not my correct gateway. (It should be 10.79.0.1) I have changed this setting and restarted the sage service. (I am running in service mode.) It changes the ip back to 192.168.0.1. Every time!! Not sure if this is the cause or not.

I would like to use a MIMO router. Anyone have any working setups with these that can recommend a MIMO WAP? (I have read in other posts that the Belkin N1 does NOT work with MVP's and can attest this is true. )

How about the Belkin Pre-N. These have great range, but I am not sure if they work with the MVP's, as they seem to be very picky.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 11-23-2006, 03:23 PM
Sage Icon

I have a Netgear Pre-N, works beautifully, but both my MVPs are wired. Sorry!

BTW, all my experience with Belkin routers is that they last barely past their warranties...
unRAID Server: Intel Core i5 7600K, 48GB DDR4, 2x512GB PCIe M.2 Cache Pool, 2x10TB SATA3 Parity Drive, 3x8TB SATA Array, 1x hdHomeRun DVB-T2 Quattro, IPTV via xTeVe, unRAID 6.8.3, tvHeadEnd for recording back end, Emby
Clients: 3 Nvidia Shields, 3 FireTV, 3 Win10 Pro PC Clients
Old 11-23-2006, 07:32 PM
Sage User

Bump...Anyone able to get the new rev 2.05 MVP to work with Sage??? It seems a lot of people are having this issue with rev 2.05 of the MVP.
Old 11-23-2006, 08:00 PM
Sage User

Update--I have successfully connected the mvp to the mediamvp server with no problem. It connected quickly and easily. The wmvp is in the same location, so it is not a case of moving the mvp closer to the WAP. This leads me to believe it is an issue with SAGE. The server details are below and it is an intel board. (I have disabled the offload options on the intel nic.) It is a clean fresh install and the hardware is brand new. The server is dedicated to sage only. The java version is 1.4.2_11. Anyone having luck getting the wmvp to work with sage 6 beta???

Last edited by jredwine2857; 11-23-2006 at 08:04 PM.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:39 PM
Sage User

Another update---I was able to finally save the miniserver/gateway setting to point to my gateway router of 10.79.0.1. Apparently sage save the sage.properties file when stopping the service. I had to first stop the sage service, then make the changes to the sage.properties file, then start the sage service.

Unfortunately it made no difference.
MVP still does not work.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:31 AM
Sage Icon

i've been playing around w/ v6 on the laptop so I don't accidentally hose my v5 setup (WAF thing, you know). if i have v6 running when I cycle the power on the MVP (wired) it'll almost always grab v6 instead of v5. i had to disable the server in v6 so the mvp would behave. that being said...

i use a linux computer as a firewall/router/etc and have the MAC of the mvp programmed in it to be given the same IP (static). seems to have eliminated any connection issues I had when I first got the MVP. you're probably right about it being an issue w/ Sage's communication to the MVP when it's first powered up. Hauppauge's MVP software, as far as I can tell, has DHCP code built in and it works w/o a glitch 99+% of the time. Most of the info passed around the board seems to indicate it's a timing or data structure issue.

clear as mud now?

P.S. the laptop is on wifi 54g, but that shouldn't be relevant to your situation since my MVP gets its IP from a wired connection.

Clients: HD300 x2; HD200 x2; Placeshifter

Service: EPB Fiber (1Gb); OTA (we "cut the cord"); Netflix, Hulu, etc.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:05 PM
Sage User

Update- Thanks for the info everyone. I have managed to get my wmvp working...sort of.. I replaced my WAP with a linksys wrt300n. I had to move dhcp from my windows 2003 server to the linksys(which sucks because I run a domain and only use the wrt300n as an AP) but it now at least connects. So to make a long story short, these damn wmvp's are VERY particular about what is doing the dhcp and what hardware is running in between it.

And of course the linksys hands out the gateway of itself, and it does not allow you to add a default route to point to the correct gateway. So all of my wireless clients now have to be statically assigned.

I also have to stand on my head while holding a #2 pencil with the eraser pointed to the north!!! WOW what pain in the a$$!

And now the video and sound are so choppy even in standard mode, its not even viewable.

I have the MIMO wrt300n and my laptop has an excellent signal to the WAP full bars in windows, but my wmvp only has 2 bars, although the signal is at 54mbps.

So far I have to say these wmvps are NOT worth it.

I'll keep on truckin'!
Old 11-24-2006, 11:14 PM
Sage User

This is a copy of the email I sent to Tech Support.

Update--I finally got the MVP to work.

Here are the steps I took:

1. Purchased new wrt300n.
2. Could connect to wifi AP, but could not pull ip.
3. Changed to g only mode on AP.
4. Could get ip now, but MVP booted to black screen and froze, upon further reboots, it would get to the fourth block, hang, reboot, and continue this cycle endlessly.
5. Moved DHCP to linksys, worked good, but video playback was very choppy.
6. Linksys would not let me specify the correct gateway, so I moved DHCP to netscreen router. (This had nothing to do with performance, just did not want to have to statically assign all ip's on network.)
7. Purchased wireless bridge and connected it to wired port of MVP.
8. Playback is very very good now.

It seems the wireless mvp's have a very poor wifi card in them. My laptop which has a g built-in had a perfect signal while right next to the wmvp. The mvp however only had two bars!!! The WAP was only 20ft away!!

I'd suggest dropping the wireless mvp's and going with a combo of wireless bridge and wired mvp. Not too much more (still reasonable for an extender)and the performance is actually useable.

So one down and one more new one to go.

I purchased the pvr500 as a bundle. I am running one directtv receiver to the svideo and it looks very good. I am running another to the coax on channel 3 or 4 (tried both) and the picture quality is horrible. I have verified the output to a tv is good. I have read several forums on which these cards have a bad tuner in them. Do I need to get this card replaced, or is there another fix?