SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Placeshifter
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Placeshifter Discussion related to the SageTV Placeshifter application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Placeshifter software application should be posted here.

Old 11-25-2006, 12:45 PM
Sage User

Placeshifter keeps disconnecting

Placeshifter keeps disconnecting while I'm watching videos. It seems to happen more often while watching imported videos. I don't think this is a network issue...video playback is fine, with no stuttering or pauses, it just suddenly kicks me out to the Servers Manager screen and I have to log in again. I get through about 10 minutes of video and it happens again.

Please don't respond with some network troubleshooting crap...the network is fine. Why isn't Placeshifter more resilient? Why does it just die for no reason?
Old 01-31-2007, 03:46 AM
Sage User

Same issue - Placeshifter disconnects

I get the same issue - Placeshifter disconnects every 10 mins when watching imported video. Have not noticed it disconnecting while doing any other activity.

Running on LAN - solid network reliability, so this is clearly some other issue.

Am surprised to find only this other case of such an issue reporting.

Anyone else facing this issue ? Any suggestions ?
Old 02-02-2007, 10:05 AM
Sage User

ME too

I also have noticed that I will get disconnected after about 10 to 15 of video playback. Anyone have ideas of why this might be happening.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:46 AM
Administrator

I suggest contacting support or filing a bug report so SageTV can follow up on it to see what might be happening.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 02-04-2007, 06:10 PM
Sage User

Send a message via AIM to shardinite Send a message via MSN to shardinite Send a message via Yahoo to shardinite
Same problem but while viewing live TV

I work for the local Telco in the ISP support division. Wanted the team to be able to watch the Superbowl today while working so I'm running the PlaceShifter off a machine tied into the announcment screens we have around the department. Works fine except so far it has kicked me back to the connect screen @ 1:24pm, 1:37pm, 1:57pm, and most recently at 2:07pm.

I'll be submitting a bug report, but I thought I would post this here to validate the problem.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:13 PM

I am experiencing the same disconnect issues as the posters above. I'll be watching tv for about 10 minutes without any network issues at all and then all of a sudden I'm kicked back to the server selection screen.

My sagetv media center is running on Vista Ultimate 64bit edition and my placeshifter client is running on a MacBook Pro running OS X 10.4.8.

I'll be submitting a bug report as well.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:22 AM
Sage Icon

I use it when I'm on the road and sometimes when mine messes up it'll take out the MVP at home too. WAF went way down the other day when I was showing off for the guys at work and PS went wacky. She was in the middle of her soaps when it locked the MVP here.

Clients: HD300 x2; HD200 x2; Placeshifter

Service: EPB Fiber (1Gb); OTA (we "cut the cord"); Netflix, Hulu, etc.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:53 AM
Sage Icon

I get this all the time when connecting over the Internet (not from a local LAN). The amount of time before the Mac Placeshifter client hangs range anywhere from 2 minutes to about 12.

I'm using v6.3.5 on the Mac and v6.3.10 on the Windows server.

According to the log on the sever, the "MiniClient" on the Mac simply hangs and so the server gives up after a time. No clearer indication is given to the problem. I don't think there is a way to turn on logging on the Mac. I'll have to check on that.

I hope that the new version of Placeshifter for Mac, whenever it comes out. will fix it.
Client: HD300, Asus Pundit P1-AH1, AMD 3800+ X2 CPU, 1 GB RAM, 6150 graphics, ArcSoft decoders
Backup: Synology
SageTV version: FINAL
Old 05-04-2008, 09:30 PM
Sage User

Any news on this issue?

Did you hear back from Tech Support?
Old 05-05-2008, 06:35 AM
Sage Icon

Mine stopped acting up on its own.

Clients: HD300 x2; HD200 x2; Placeshifter

Service: EPB Fiber (1Gb); OTA (we "cut the cord"); Netflix, Hulu, etc.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:44 AM
Sage Advanced User

I've had this problem off and on also. Its more common when I am travelling- seems to me to be a hick-up in the internet delivery of the data packets.

I also seems that it improved when I updated my video driver on my laptop.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:00 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via MSN to enterpryse
I had similar problems then reduced the transcoding quality to standard and things came good.

Could it be buffers filling up on the MVP until it bombs out?

Old 06-04-2008, 05:32 AM
Sage Aficionado

I have a similar problem. However, I can make it happen at will. Open up place shifter and watch something in full screen. Alt Tab or windows key and do something on the desktop. A couple of minutes later, it will drop the connection. If you don't do anything with the desk top, it will drop the connection after an hour or so. Could it be that some thing on the desktop updates every hour or so which is triggering this problem?
Old 06-05-2008, 11:05 AM

Me too

I am also having problems when using placeshifter remotely over the internet. I've tried changing video quality settings to where it's almost unwatchable and I've also monitored my host comuter to see if it just didn't have the processing power to keep up. Neither seems the problem. My net speeds should also not be affected since I keep my bandwidth settings on placeshifter set well below the network capacity.

Please please fix this Sage.