SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 12-07-2006, 03:50 PM
Sage Icon

No, the IMDB is not required to be able to create and read .my files. The only reason you would need it is to save .my files from IMDB. You can still create .my files from past/future airings from inside Sage.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:14 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd_maniac
IMDB for movies is awesome but I actually think I would find manual creation better than going through IMDB for episodes.
First go to the episode in Sage.
then do an IMDB search which always defaults to movie results, so...
then do a manual search
then click the TV show (If it finds it)
then goto episodes and find the right one.
Then finally find out that you did all this for nothing as the overview is either blank or populated with the generic description of the series and not the episode overview.
Then do the same for them all.
Indeed for a movie this works well and most of the data is filled correctly in IMDB. IMDB does have an episode field for TV shows but I think that they are lacking in that department. Perhaps in a year or so we won't be having this debate though.

Irregardless, I definitely agree with you that having the data locally makes alot more sense than having to do this search each time. Sometimes I like flipping thru the plot quickly to see which episode I'm looking for. Infact, if there was a button in the File Info Screen that would allow me to go to the next episode, or to the previous episode... wouldn't that be too cool!!

In addition, having an overall summary of the series would be nice as well.

But first we need an easy way to get the TV.com data

I am wondering if it would actaully be better to approach it another way?
If someone has a folder say \\ImportedVideos\TV and has subfolders for each series like say 24. IE:\\ImportedVideos\TV\24 then would it be possible to create something like a .my file for the parent series folder?
Ex:
\\ImportedVideos\TV\24\24.my
Like I stated above, all shows on tv.com have a printable episode guide that could easily be saved as a text file. This would be much easier to create than any other Sage way could be. And would be easier for someone to find a particular episode through the one guide rather than searching through the folder and opening the details of each until they found it.

The create and read .my files works excellent for shows recorded in Sage but I think this would solve the needs of downloaders and dvd rippers of TV shows.

Possible anyone?[/QUOTE]
Old 12-08-2006, 03:36 PM
SageTVaholic

You might want to look at this:
http://tvdb.zsori.com/
Old 12-11-2006, 06:29 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
But first we need an easy way to get the TV.com data
If someone can do a parent folder .my file equivalent then just saving the episode guide from tv.com should be all that needs to be done.

Quote:
You might want to look at this:
http://tvdb.zsori.com/
Looks promising but how long before it's useable?
Old 12-11-2006, 07:05 PM
SageTVaholic

As near as I can tell, it's usable now, it would just require someone to make a plugin for Sage.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:32 PM
Sage Icon

I tried searching for about 10 shows with no results...

Edit:
Nevermind I found the "shows by first letter" down bottom

Last edited by dvd_maniac; 12-11-2006 at 07:34 PM.
Old 12-17-2006, 03:42 PM
Sage Advanced User

Just a bump for this and another note that that database is definitely fully working now - other apps are using it.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:22 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necro
Just a bump for this and another note that that database is definitely fully working now - other apps are using it.
Checked thru a few shows, some are more detailed than TV.com and others are not. To be able to pull out all of this data would rock!

Belg
Old 01-19-2007, 08:39 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgrath
Checked thru a few shows, some are more detailed than TV.com and others are not. To be able to pull out all of this data would rock!

Belg

Anyone working on a TV.com or zsori.com plugin?

Belg
Old 01-24-2007, 10:58 AM
Sage Expert

How does one go about setting up an RSS feed from TV.com to extract episode info?

I created an excel template here http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23016

I would like to be able to feed it show information in XML form directly off TV.com.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:43 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy99
How does one go about setting up an RSS feed from TV.com to extract episode info?

I created an excel template here http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23016

I would like to be able to feed it show information in XML form directly off TV.com.
If you want .xml files, i think you're better off going here; http://tvdb.zsori.com/ as tv.com doesn't supply their info off rss.

http://search.cpan.org/~tigris/WWW-TV-0.04/ , has some beta way to get the info from tv.com in .xml format, although i've never tried it.

It would be really nice if there were more options, for viewing tv-shows through Sage.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:58 AM
Sage User

Has anyone taken a look into this recently? It's been a few months and seems that nobody is making much progres...

I personally feel this the only aspect of SageTV that is missing to make it a complete HT solution. Currently to view imported media I use my XBOX with XBMC so that I can use their built in TV.com and ZSORI import tools.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:04 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armondole View Post
Has anyone taken a look into this recently? It's been a few months and seems that nobody is making much progres...

I personally feel this the only aspect of SageTV that is missing to make it a complete HT solution. Currently to view imported media I use my XBOX with XBMC so that I can use their built in TV.com and ZSORI import tools.
Well I've cracked the nut and succeeded in being able to auto-generate my files using data from TV.com. I need to debug a bit and add .properties support before I submit the tool for public usage.

Now that the ground work is done, I'll eventually look into updating the my file to include blog entries and other stuff that can be scrapped from TV.com.

Last edited by roxy99; 06-21-2007 at 01:08 PM.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:24 PM
Sage Icon

Hey Roxy,

That's great news.

One question...Is the tool designed only to import one episode at a time or can it create the .my file(s) for an entire series or season?

I hope this is the holy imported videos grail I've been waiting for.

I and I'm sure others here appreciate your hard work...
Old 06-21-2007, 02:17 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd_maniac View Post
Hey Roxy,

That's great news.

One question...Is the tool designed only to import one episode at a time or can it create the .my file(s) for an entire series or season?

I hope this is the holy imported videos grail I've been waiting for.

I and I'm sure others here appreciate your hard work...

Thanks for the kind words. I would have advanced faster except I had to learn how to program first. As well RL gets in the way sometimes.

The way it works is you will execute the tool with a parameter. The parameter will be the directory which you would like the tool to scan for avi files that don't have associated .my files.

So for instance you would save the tool to
c:\program files\MyGenerator\GenerateMy.exe

Then you create a shortcut with target as: c:\program files\MyGenerator\GenerateMy.exe <scan path>
Where <scan path> is the root path for your video import folder.

The tool looks at the path and lists any non-matched .avi & .my pairs. Then creates an .my automatically from TV.com for all unmatched avi.

One caveat is that you need to name your avi files in the format:

Showtitle-Episodename(-???).avi (You can have other characters in (-???) eg Showtitle-Episodename-S02Ep12.avi or just leave it blank).

Last edited by roxy99; 06-21-2007 at 02:21 PM.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:36 PM
Sage Icon

I have well over 5000 titles in my Video Import directory so this would probably be less practical for me than most others here.
I keep the names of the episodes with the following naming conventions:
1x01 Pilot
1x02 Up where we belong
1x03 She said NO!!
etc...
I have them in a folder with the Series name and then each season in the series. EX:
T:\TV\Action\24\1\1X01 1200AM100AM.mp4
It would be cool if there was a way to search for a series and save a whole season to the current folder you are in, then I would just have to manually rename either the metadata files or the original video file.
Probably not something that is needed for most here though so I would not expect it to happen But still seems like a great tool to add to this fantastic program.
Quote:
The tool looks at the path and lists any non-matched .avi & .my pairs. Then creates an .my automatically from TV.com for all unmatched avi.
By the way, does this only work for avi files?
Old 06-21-2007, 02:46 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
By the way, does this only work for avi files?
I had the same question.

Aloha,
Mike
Old 06-21-2007, 07:54 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy99 View Post
One caveat is that you need to name your avi files in the format:

Showtitle-Episodename(-???).avi (You can have other characters in (-???) eg Showtitle-Episodename-S02Ep12.avi or just leave it blank).
Is this just because this is the format you use, or is it impossible to use a different format with the way you've programmed this tool? Is there a chance that you will be able to make the format a feature other users can modify?

From my personal experience, most downloaded TV shows use these formats:

(SERIES NAME).(S##E##).(EPISODE NAME).(DETAILS).AVI
eg. 24.S01E08.07.00.am-08.00.am.AC3.DVDRip WS XviD-FOV.avi

OR;

(SERIES NAME).(S##E##).(DETAILS).AVI
eg. heroes.s01e09.hdtv-lol.avi
Old 06-21-2007, 09:23 PM
Sage Icon

There are so many people(teams) that upload stuff that it would be impossible for any tool to account for them all. The only way I see this working for people with ALOT of non-sage recordings is to d/l whole seasons and have some itelligence built-in to try to rename the metadata files to the video name...
Old 06-22-2007, 06:20 AM
Sage User

Quote:
There are so many people(teams) that upload stuff that it would be impossible for any tool to account for them all. The only way I see this working for people with ALOT of non-sage recordings is to d/l whole seasons and have some itelligence built-in to try to rename the metadata files to the video name...
I suppose this is point I was tryring to make. You're right, there are too many types, so I was suggesting to have a method in the application that would allow the user to change what filenames/formats the program would look for... instead of forcing the user to rename possibly hundreds of files with another tool.

Last edited by Armondole; 06-25-2007 at 08:36 AM.