SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 11-28-2006, 02:06 AM
Sage User

Quiet playback of imported DVDs

Since noticing that audio didn't work for imported DVDs in 6.0.14 and replacing the DShowPlayer.dll file, I have noticed that these files now playback with very low volume. Music and TV playback to correct volume levels and so this porblem would appear to be specific to imported DVDs.

Having just upgraded to 6.0.15, I have noticed that the problem is very much still there.

The symptoms are present whether I playback on the SageTV Server PC or on an MVP client.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Tristan
Old 11-29-2006, 09:56 AM
Sage User

If you play a DVD directly, do you have the same audio problem?

I know that low volume on DVDs is a pretty common issue with a lot of people (including myself) but I think it has to do with the way DVDs encode the digital sound for 5 channels or more (Dolby Digital, etc).
Yamaha HTR-5920 | Energy Take 5.1 | Samsung LN32D450 via HDMI | Winegard Square Shooter

Last edited by chughes; 11-29-2006 at 06:29 PM.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:39 AM
SageTVaholic

If you install the latest AC3 Filter, you can increase the master gain as well as the gains for separate channels in the configuration app. The last I checked, you don't get the configuration app with the AC3 Filter that is included in sage. Then just set your DVD audio decoder to AC3 Filter and you should be good to go. Note that I had to back off from the maximum gain slightly because I noticed some sound artifacts/distortion. Hope this helps.

Aloha,
Mike
Old 11-30-2006, 01:45 AM
Sage User

I have 2 follow up questions:

1. Would the AC3 Filter also have an impact on DVDs watched through an MVP?

2. Where do I get a new AC3 Filter from?

Many thanks,
Tristan
Old 11-30-2006, 02:11 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsheal
I have 2 follow up questions:

1. Would the AC3 Filter also have an impact on DVDs watched through an MVP?
No, it would only affect playback with AC3 Filter used as the audio decoder on the server or a PC client. The MVP uses a hardware decoder. DVD's tend to have a lower mean volume than TV. I have always noticed this no matter what player I used (stand alone or software).

Quote:
2. Where do I get a new AC3 Filter from?

Many thanks,
Tristan
Here: AC3 Filter

Aloha,
Mike

Last edited by MeInMaui; 11-30-2006 at 02:13 AM.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:03 AM
Sage Icon

This has been asked a surprising number of times lately:

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...ight=ac3filter

Maybe a sticky is in order?

Either turning off the Normalize Audio matrix or upping the gain in the AC3Filter control panel will remedy this.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:03 AM
Sage User

Hi,

Many thanks for all the responses. However, I use MVP Clients to playback, and so if changing the AC3 filter will not change audio performance for these, is there anything else I can do to increase the volume of imported DVDs?

Cheers,
Tristan
Old 12-01-2006, 01:15 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsheal
Hi,

Many thanks for all the responses. However, I use MVP Clients to playback, and so if changing the AC3 filter will not change audio performance for these, is there anything else I can do to increase the volume of imported DVDs?

Cheers,
Tristan
The only way I can think you might change it would be to transcode the videos with increased volume levels. I don't know how to do that. Video redo might have that capability, but I'm just guessing. You might also be able to adjust the audio levels when converting to Xvid or Divx, but keep in mind that your server would have to transcode those back to mpeg2 on the fly for the MVP to play them back. This requires a fairly powerful server. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Aloha,
Mike
Old 01-02-2007, 11:19 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInMaui
... Video redo might have that capability, but I'm just guessing...

Aloha,
Mike
VidoeRedo has the capability of adjusting the audio level without re-encoding the video portion of your file. Open the file in VRD, then click on Tools->Adjust Audio. You can play the file while you adjust the level and then save the new file.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:00 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInMaui
If you install the latest AC3 Filter, you can increase the master gain as well as the gains for separate channels in the configuration app. The last I checked, you don't get the configuration app with the AC3 Filter that is included in sage. Then just set your DVD audio decoder to AC3 Filter and you should be good to go. Note that I had to back off from the maximum gain slightly because I noticed some sound artifacts/distortion. Hope this helps.

Aloha,
Mike
Mike -

When I upgraded from V2.8 to V5 I now see two seperate AC3 Filter audio selections in the detailed setup... Do you know which I choose?

The second issue is no matter what I do not see the audio going through AC3 Filter in the config utility (the levels aren't moving) since I have upgrade and adjusting the gain has no affect....?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!!
Old 01-03-2007, 04:30 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
VidoeRedo has the capability of adjusting the audio level without re-encoding the video portion of your file. Open the file in VRD, then click on Tools->Adjust Audio. You can play the file while you adjust the level and then save the new file.
I don't think that is correct.
In my version of VideoRedo you can only adjust audio sync, but not the volume.
You can adjust the volume of the playback in VideoRedo, but that does not affect the saved file.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:02 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan smit
I don't think that is correct.
In my version of VideoRedo you can only adjust audio sync, but not the volume.
You can adjust the volume of the playback in VideoRedo, but that does not affect the saved file.
You must be running an old version of VRD. I don't recall when the feature was added, but upgrade the to the latest and you will see the option. BTW-I am running 2.5.3.501.

Quote:
From the VRD Help File:
"Audio Synchronization and Output Volume

You can use this dialog to alter the synchronization between audio and video streams. This might be necessary if the original program is out of sync. You can also adjust the volume of the output file. This is different from the audio level adjustment in the main display which only affects playback volume. Any volume adjustment is heard during playback and will be adjusted in the output file.

The Output Volume will be modifed when you save your file and the audio properties will also be modified from the original file. You can select MPEG audio and bit rate or LPCM/WAV audio during output file save by pressing the Options button."
Old 01-04-2007, 03:22 AM
Sage Advanced User

Yes, I was running an old version (2.2.1) and wasn't aware of that.
Thank you for pointing that out to me!

jan