SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 11-30-2006, 10:46 AM
Sage Advanced User

analog/digital/hd usage with multpile mvps.

hello all! well i was checking out insight's digital package for IN (46060) and it looks like they have a very solid lineup.

i've been considering buying an hdhomerun to go along (or replace) one of my pvr 500's. i had a few questions regarding digital records and how well they play over mvps. i'll itemize them as to help with individual answers. thanks!

1. if i use the homerun and record non HD shows from the digital lineup, will they play on an mvp the same as analog records with no transcoding?

2. i noticed that the major network (abc/nbc/cbs/fox) are only available in HD format and not non-HD digital. Is this typical? The vast majority of my recordings are on these channels and my recordings are continuously accessed from 4 wired mvp's through the house. i doubt my system can handle mutiple transcodings to watch programs on the mvp's.

3. would i be better off to continue recording show in non-HD analog format for mvp access?
Old 11-30-2006, 11:43 AM
Sage Fanatic

#1 makes a pretty good assumption that your digital lineup will be unencrypted QAM? if this is the case you're one lucky dude!

the mvp will still have to transcode but with the resolution being lower than HD it wont be as taxing.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:06 PM
Sage Icon

Don't know how it works over there, but here in the UK all my digital feeds (SD, DVBT etc.) are straight MPG feeds. Standard MPG files do not need transcoding to the MVPs.
unRAID Server: Intel Core i5 7600K, 48GB DDR4, 2x512GB PCIe M.2 Cache Pool, 2x10TB SATA3 Parity Drive, 3x8TB SATA Array, 1x hdHomeRun DVB-T2 Quattro, IPTV via xTeVe, unRAID 6.8.3, tvHeadEnd for recording back end, Emby
Clients: 3 Nvidia Shields, 3 FireTV, 3 Win10 Pro PC Clients
Old 11-30-2006, 08:50 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GbrNole
#1 makes a pretty good assumption that your digital lineup will be unencrypted QAM? if this is the case you're one lucky dude!

the mvp will still have to transcode but with the resolution being lower than HD it wont be as taxing.
oh, that's right. i guess i do need to find out if the digital lineup is unencryted or not. i'll have to find out how to do that. i know that i have been able to record hd via firewire through my set top box...
Old 12-02-2006, 04:24 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jryan15
oh, that's right. i guess i do need to find out if the digital lineup is unencryted or not. i'll have to find out how to do that. i know that i have been able to record hd via firewire through my set top box...
If you can record it via firewire, then it's not encrypted.

thanks,
mike
Old 12-02-2006, 05:05 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesm
If you can record it via firewire, then it's not encrypted.

thanks,
mike
That wouldn't be entirely acurate. Non 5C'd firewire status does not neccessarily eqaul unencrypted QAM. For example, from my cable company's HD STB I can record everything via firewire, except for PPV and on-demand. I get all my analogs, all SD digital, and all the premium channels in SD and HD that I pay for.

With my QAM tuner in my TV, I only get a few SD digital channels and my local HD channels. NO premiums at all.