SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 12-01-2006, 10:15 AM
Sage Aficionado

All I want for Christmas is an MVP...

I would prefer an HD version but SD will be okay for now...

I have been checking the SageTV online store to buy one, but lately the site always says they are out of stock on the MVP (both wired and wireless). I want the wired version for sure, but am wondering if this is a sign that an HD extender is on the (near) horizon or if they are waiting for an an even newer upgraded version of the MVP??

I know I'm getting an HDTV LCD TV for Christmas but I'll be damned if I'm going to watch "live" tv on it... I need an extender for it (it'll be in the bedroom, my sage server is in the living room).

So has anybody heard anything about the supply status of MVPs or maybe an HD extender coming out from the SageTV guys soon? I know I can buy an MVP from the "other" companies, but I want to give my money to the SageTV guys... even if I have to wait a bit. Heck, this will be my first HDTV so it will be kinda cool to join the HDTV/QAM crowd and try out OTA stuff.
Future plans: 1 more HVR2250, 1 Ceton CC 4-way tuner, 10TB diskspace
Issues: 1 PVR250 not working, system board?
Old 12-01-2006, 10:25 AM
Sage Aficionado

Check PCAlchemy.com. That's where I purchased my MVP. They gave great service, and they sometimes run specials. I highly recommend them.

HTPC: AMD ASUS M2N-E Socket AM2 Motherboard; Athlon 64 3200+ Orleans 2.0GHz; 2GB RAM; eVGA 256MB Geforce 7300LE; 1x40GB IDE HDD (OS), 2xSeagate Barracuda 320GB SATA HDD (Recordings); Antec Overture II Case; Windows XP Pro SP2; SageTV v6.5
STV: SageMC
Video sources: Currently, none. I'm using SageTV for Music, Photos, and Video playback.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:14 PM
Sage Fanatic

nope - i want a damn HD extender!

something is going to have to come out soon or i know i'll end up getting an xbox 360 and be suckered down that damn MCE path...
Old 12-01-2006, 12:42 PM
Sage Icon

lol--good timing. I just PM'ed jeff today asking him the same question! Don't expect a serious reply but thought we need to keep ribbing them every once in a while to keep them on their toes...
Juc
Server: Athlon 2000XP; 1GB Kingston Ram; 250GB Seagate; 160GB Seagate; 160GB Western Digital; Lite-on DVD player; Hauppauge Rosyln; Hauppauge PVR-150; ATI AIW 7500; Actisys 200L; running stock v5 .stv

Client: MVP Extender running SageMC
Old 12-01-2006, 01:24 PM
Sage Icon

Last I heard it was going to be a Buffalo Linktheater, but that's been since around the first of the year (Marchish?). I would have definitely thought they'd have it out by now, and really wish they at least announce what they are going to use, so we can snap 'em up and hoard 'em .
Old 12-01-2006, 03:03 PM
Sage Fanatic

i want my new HDdddddd!!!!!!!!!!! (extender)
Old 12-01-2006, 10:30 PM
Sage Expert

I don't have HD yet. But will get it in about 2 weeks, and will be a patient cableco dvr customer for a short while.

I want an hd extender too!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-02-2006, 06:15 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarr
Check PCAlchemy.com. That's where I purchased my MVP. They gave great service, and they sometimes run specials. I highly recommend them.
I too am waiting for the MVP to be re-stocked. I sent an e-mail, but no confirmation response was received. Since I do not know if my e-mail was received, I have been checking the site every day to find out if the MVP is in stock. It would be nice if there was some general calendar date when the item would be restocked on the web site.

I found a Hauppauge MediaMVP, Model 1000 on PCAlchemy. Is that the model that you purchased? The software is then purchased directly from SageTV? If the software is purchased separately, is it difficult to install the software on the MediaMVP?

Dave
Old 12-02-2006, 06:47 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan
The software is then purchased directly from SageTV?
You can purchase the license from pcalcheamy. The license from them is actually cheaper than if you buy it directly from Sage.

Quote:
If the software is purchased separately, is it difficult to install the software on the MediaMVP?
No software is installed on the MediaMVP it is installed on the server. Purchasing a MVP from one place and the license from the other isn't any different than purchasing the bundle from Sage. The only advantage of the Sage bundle is the price assuming you don't find the license and MVP cheaper somewhere else.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:16 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by GbrNole
nope - i want a damn HD extender!
Ditto.

Also waiting for H.264 playback.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:18 AM
Sage Aficionado

You are not actually purcahsing "software" but a license key to enable the software (which is included in your SageTV distribution that you have installed on your server.) You are simply purchasing a license key number to "register" the MVP on the server. Once you purchase the license key, you need to click Start > Programs > SageTV and select the "register client" function. (I forget the exact wording, but you should be able to figure that out.) Once that's done, it's just a matter of the MVP finding the server.

Note that the license is a device-independent, concurrent license meaning, for example, that if you have only one license registered but have three MVP's, as long as any 2 MVP's are physically turned off, the remaining one will work.

Likewise, the license is also a placeshifter license, so if you leave on vacation, you can turn off your MVP, and it will free up a license to use with PlaceShifter.

HTPC: AMD ASUS M2N-E Socket AM2 Motherboard; Athlon 64 3200+ Orleans 2.0GHz; 2GB RAM; eVGA 256MB Geforce 7300LE; 1x40GB IDE HDD (OS), 2xSeagate Barracuda 320GB SATA HDD (Recordings); Antec Overture II Case; Windows XP Pro SP2; SageTV v6.5
STV: SageMC
Video sources: Currently, none. I'm using SageTV for Music, Photos, and Video playback.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:33 PM
Sage Icon

I just purchased the wired Hauupage MVP and MVP license key from PC Alchemy. I would have purchased it from SageTV if the item was in stock, or at least bothered to put a message on the web site approximately when the item would be re-stocked. I never received a confirmation response from SageTV sales that my name was added to a MVP notification list.

Thanks for letting me know about PCAchemy and the MVP key info.

Dave
Old 12-05-2006, 02:01 PM
Sage Expert

I'm also am somewhat patiently waiting for an HD extender....

"patiently" in small letters

I am suprised that SageTV hasn't done that. Most everything seems to be "first class" and innovative. I would have thought an HD extender would have been out by now for Sage...Seems obvious that's where the market is headed.

A year ago, I would not have believed that I would have an HD TV in my bedroom, but last week, I bought one for there.

I would asume the delay is SageTV making sure everything is "right."

my 2 cents,

Gary Ellis
Old 12-05-2006, 03:57 PM
Sage Fanatic

Sage write the software and they use other peoples hardware to do what they want. I would think that when an HD extender product appears on the market they would jump at getting Sage to work with it as they know theres a big demand for one.

I've got 2 wired MVP's on order at the moment, can't seem to get them from anywhere, hope they turn up before christmas
Old 12-05-2006, 04:59 PM
Sage Aficionado

I just ordered one (from an online store in canada) as a christmas present to me, apparently it was the last one they had....I snatched it when they said they had stock. Is there big demand for these, or is it just that they stopped making them?
Old 12-05-2006, 05:04 PM
Sage Fanatic

I think theres a big demand from lots of Sage users
Old 12-05-2006, 06:02 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by heffe2001
Last I heard it was going to be a Buffalo Linktheater, but that's been since around the first of the year (Marchish?). I would have definitely thought they'd have it out by now, and really wish they at least announce what they are going to use, so we can snap 'em up and hoard 'em .
Nobody notice this? They ARE working on it, not sure what the holdup is. I honestly think they are seriously dropping the ball here by not releasing a HD extender...

I've got 2 HD TV's as of now, and another on the way for our bedroom, I'd LOVE to drop in a couple HD extenders, instead of having to put PC's in every room...
Old 12-05-2006, 06:58 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc
Sage write the software and they use other peoples hardware to do what they want. I would think that when an HD extender product appears on the market they would jump at getting Sage to work with it as they know theres a big demand for one.

I've got 2 wired MVP's on order at the moment, can't seem to get them from anywhere, hope they turn up before christmas
I would think the PS3 would make a nice HD Extender when, or if a real video driver under Linux is available. I'd think the current Linux version would be fairly easy to get working under the PS3, I guess people are already running MythTV on the PS3.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:39 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarr
My Hauppage MVP arrived yesterday from PCAlchemy. This was my first purchase from PCAlchemy, and will not be the last - they have excellent service.

After opening up my router ports between the MVP, SageTV server, and turning off the Hauppage service, I was able to successfully connect to the GUI server. Having never used a MVP before, I did not know exactly how the MVP GUI would look - it is the same as the SageTV server.

I checked the SageTV store again. It still does not say the estimated time when the MVP would be in stock! No e-mail response was ever received that I was put on the MVP notification list. I would rather purchase the MVP from SageTV to give them my business, but the lack of customer service about when the MVP would be restocked, and lack of a confirmation e-mail that I was on the MVP notification list is very annoying.

Jbarr, thank you for the PCAlchemy recommendation!

Dave
Old 12-12-2006, 08:09 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelofDeth
I would think the PS3 would make a nice HD Extender when, or if a real video driver under Linux is available. I'd think the current Linux version would be fairly easy to get working under the PS3, I guess people are already running MythTV on the PS3.
Having just checked the price of a PS3 and not being a gamer, its a little expensive to be used solely as an extender, but if you have one already then it would make a nice addition