SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Placeshifter
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Placeshifter Discussion related to the SageTV Placeshifter application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Placeshifter software application should be posted here.

Old 12-04-2006, 05:08 PM
Sage User

Placeshifter Feature Request: Remember username/password

I would like to request the option to remember the username and password per connections for auto-login(like the connection settings per connection request).
Old 12-25-2006, 04:10 PM
Sage User

Does nobody else want this?
Old 12-25-2006, 04:19 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmann
Does nobody else want this?
I would like this feature.
Old 12-25-2006, 04:38 PM
Sage Expert

I would also like the option to do advanced settings for different connections; for example, I use one stream speed when my laptop is on my local network, and another when I'm streaming across the internet. AFAIK, the settings are global.
Old 12-26-2006, 08:43 AM
Sage Aficionado

I'd like this as well.
Old 12-26-2006, 03:33 PM
Sage Advanced User

I;d like to have this feature. im the only one using my laptop, it would be nice to not have to type this in every time i connect.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:10 PM
SageTVaholic

Love to have the feature to save passwords, would really ease my slacking off time at work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainswor99
I would also like the option to do advanced settings for different connections; for example, I use one stream speed when my laptop is on my local network, and another when I'm streaming across the internet. AFAIK, the settings are global.
I set up a connection for remote connection in placeshifter using my remote domain name, and it uses the dynamic bandwidth settings, but when i am on a local network, it autodetets my sagetv server on the local network and displays a second option in the servers list, and when it is used, it uses local network settings (which don't transcode).

At least it used to, I haven't tried using placeshifter on my laptop at home in a while...

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 01-09-2007, 12:19 AM
Sage User

It would probably be better to have the Placeshifter STV just use an optional numeric password so that I could hit "1 2 3" instead of having to get on the floor to type the username and password into my laptop.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:00 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy
Love to have the feature to save passwords, would really ease my slacking off time at work!

I set up a connection for remote connection in placeshifter using my remote domain name, and it uses the dynamic bandwidth settings, but when i am on a local network, it autodetets my sagetv server on the local network and displays a second option in the servers list, and when it is used, it uses local network settings (which don't transcode).

At least it used to, I haven't tried using placeshifter on my laptop at home in a while...

I don't think it works like that; I could be wrong. I think if you have dynamic bandwidth set, it autodetects the bandwidth available for all of your connections. On your local network, this results in minimal or no transcoding; on the internet, it transcodes appropriately.

However, if you have dynamic bandwidth turned off (as I do; it didn't work well for me), and you use a fixed bandwidth reduction, it applies those settings to all your connections. When I'm at home, I have to remember to turn transcoding off for my home network; on the road, I have to turn it back on.

I realize that the solution would be to use dynamic bandwidth, but it doesn't work as well as advertised for me.

Stu
Old 01-17-2007, 09:35 PM
Sage User

I would love to have this feature. I would like to use placeshifter in my car computer (for passengers of course) and right now, the only thing stopping me is that there is no way for me to enter the username and password. There is only a touchscreen, no keyboard. Another alternative would be the ability to enter the username/password from the command line when starting the program.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:05 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainswor99
However, if you have dynamic bandwidth turned off (as I do; it didn't work well for me), and you use a fixed bandwidth reduction, it applies those settings to all your connections. When I'm at home, I have to remember to turn transcoding off for my home network; on the road, I have to turn it back on.
When you are on your home network, does Placeshifter automatically find your server, or do you set it up manually? If it automatically finds it, it should not use your settings, and just play the files without transcoding. Works for me this way at least.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:52 AM
Sage Expert

Dunno.

In my setup, it doesn't seem to matter; I tried it on both my main workstation and my laptop. If I specify a bitrate, it applies to all connections, regardless of whether the placeshifter client discovers it or I specify it manually. I'm running 6.0.19, if that matters.

Stu
Old 01-25-2007, 09:30 AM
Sage Aficionado

I would like to see the username/password input fixed. If the connection is even the slightest bit laggy, Placeshifter starts dropping input when I enter my login. I have to slow my typing to 1/4 speed and watch each character appear to ensure that the entire username/password is entered.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:29 PM
Sage User

I know this is an old thread, but I have the latest version and it looks like it still doesn't have a way to save the login username/password. I don't want to have to login every time I want to use Placeshifter from my laptop. Is this feature still going to be added?
Old 11-22-2007, 10:17 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by orrd View Post
I know this is an old thread, but I have the latest version and it looks like it still doesn't have a way to save the login username/password. I don't want to have to login every time I want to use Placeshifter from my laptop. Is this feature still going to be added?
I really hope it gets added. Even just a commandline wouldbe good enough. Let us specify the server, user, and password from command line. This would allow for embedding sage easier into my car. :-)

Old 02-29-2008, 02:46 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
I really hope it gets added. Even just a commandline wouldbe good enough. Let us specify the server, user, and password from command line. This would allow for embedding sage easier into my car. :-)
This is exactly the reason I want this feature as well. I have a car computer and use sagetv to let my passengers watch tv. Right now I use an autoit script to automate the login, but this is less than ideal. Could we PLEASE have a way to store the login information locally? Pretty please?
Old 03-03-2008, 07:10 PM
Sage Advanced User

Yes, this would be a "great" feature/option!!