SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 12-05-2006, 02:08 PM
Sage Advanced User

Sage vs MCE clients

I've been using Sage for so long now, I can't imagine switching to MCE - however, I'm very tempted due to the ability to use the xbox360 as an HD extender on MCE. But, with prior MCE you could not use a second computer as a client (unlike sage) - has that changed ? Have anyone been able to make MCE clients run on regular computers? Will it change with Vista?

I have two spots I need/want to keep as a computer rather than a extender - the kitchen and the living room.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:56 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds23
It has not changed, and no word on it changing in Vista. There has not even been speculation on it (with Vista) as far as I know, so I highly doubt you will see a PC based extender with MCE/Vista anytime soon. It is a major negative in my book, and is one of the reasons I switched to Sage way back when. I even bought a 360 when they came out to act as an extender and it has sit collecting dust for many months now, I did not like it as an extender at all. My daughter blows the dust off it every once in a while to play a game. -jds
What didn't you like about the 360 as an extender? I'm seriously thinking of switching. Since adding HD tuners (HDHomeRun) and upgrading my CRTs to LCDs, I really want to stream HD throughout the house. MCE is so damn pretty too!
Old 03-12-2007, 05:52 PM
Sage Advanced User

This is one of the reasons I'm considering switching from MCE to Sage.

I use the Xbox360 as an extender, and it works great, but the fact that I can't us a computer as an extender is really annoying.

I'm considering switching to Sage and buying an extender to hook to the TV in my living room, then using Placeshifter on my Mac (primary machine) to watch recorded shows and stuff.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:59 PM
Sage Icon

Why bother with extenders? If you have the money - get a shuttle computer. I got these AOpens from newegg and they are just great little machines. At least with a "real" computer I know I won't hit a "dead end."

I am thinking about going HD at some point. But, here's the thing, I have DirecTV which has some HD channels. I'm just not sure if there is a reasonably priced tuner card yet that will stream HD. I can't really use OTA because where I live - the reception is really bad.

I set up my server really nice where I have four SD STB's and I use the com ports to change the channel (rather than IR). Ideally, I think our dream would be to just have DirecTV HD dual tuner cards that could plug right into the computer without any STB's at all.

Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Mike
Old 03-12-2007, 07:50 PM
Sage Fanatic

Hi,

Quote:
Ideally, I think our dream would be to just have DirecTV HD dual tuner cards that could plug right into the computer without any STB's at all.
I keep hoping (likely in vain) for the same thing. Last I heard the card was built and undergoing internal testing (not from a reliable source). If they ever make this available I am afraid that it will be restricted only to oem's selling entire machines just like the ATI ocur. I have not given up hope, but I don't think the odds are good.

If the R5000 folks would mod an mpeg4 capable D* box I would be all over that.

Jesse
HD300 X1
Old 03-12-2007, 08:40 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolio View Post
I've been using Sage for so long now, I can't imagine switching to MCE - however, I'm very tempted due to the ability to use the xbox360 as an HD extender on MCE. But, with prior MCE you could not use a second computer as a client (unlike sage) - has that changed ?
Nope.

Quote:
Have anyone been able to make MCE clients run on regular computers?
There are no MCE clients, only extenders.

Quote:
Will it change with Vista?
Doesn't look like it will.

Quote:
I have two spots I need/want to keep as a computer rather than a extender - the kitchen and the living room.
Sage is supposed to have an HD extender coming out in Q2, they showed it at CES. Based on what (little) we know, it should smoke the 360 as an extender. Half the price, full support for DVDs (just like the MVP but with HD output), should support MPEG-4, H.264, VC-1/WM9. Basically all the functionality of the MVP but without the transcoding for non-MPEG-2 and with HD outputs.

Looks like it might be able to replace my HTPC, looking forward to playing with one.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:00 AM
Sage Advanced User

MCE & X360 extenders are not all they are cracked up to be .. slightly sluggish .. and lots of problems playing ripped dvds .. sage is much more reliable

And the TV recording of the MCE is barebones at best .. compared to the feature rich Sage anyway
Old 03-13-2007, 03:22 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1961 View Post
Why bother with extenders?
Low power, low noise, no setup, great picture, cheap.

I'm about to add 2 more MVPs, less than 100 quid, no way I would be doing that with PCs...
unRAID Server: Intel Core i5 7600K, 48GB DDR4, 2x512GB PCIe M.2 Cache Pool, 2x10TB SATA3 Parity Drive, 3x8TB SATA Array, 1x hdHomeRun DVB-T2 Quattro, IPTV via xTeVe, unRAID 6.8.3, tvHeadEnd for recording back end, Emby
Clients: 3 Nvidia Shields, 3 FireTV, 3 Win10 Pro PC Clients
Old 03-15-2007, 02:05 PM
Sage Advanced User

Yeah.. just ordered an MVP yesterday for less than $100..

Can't get a PC (well one that would run Sage well) for that.

Plus with a small, quiet box the WAF will be much higher than setting up a PC in the living room, no matter how small.