SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 12-06-2006, 05:59 PM

MVP Choppy Video, Had to cut Ethernet Speed

I reloaded Windows XP because of some other issues and decided to upgrade from V4 of sage to V6 beta. My MVP used to work flawlessly, now after the upgrade I had choppy video and audio on the MVP. The only way I could get it to work was to cut my server Ethernet to 10mb half duplex. Not sure why this is since before it worked at full 100 (using auto). I'm using a Netgear RP614v2 Router. I hate to leave this back at 10 since I have a remote NAS for backups. Any thoughts where else I might look to fix this?

Thanks.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:38 PM
Sage Icon

going to half duplex to make it better seems counter-intuitive, eh?

Maybe that Netgear router is misbehaving.
I like netgear switches but their routers have terrible firmware as a rule, IMO.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:42 AM
Sage Icon

Have you tried forcing 100 full instead of auto? I used to have a problem waaay back when using Matt's original MVP plugin where i had to do exactly what you did. But after Sage's integration it hasn't been an issue.
Juc
Server: Athlon 2000XP; 1GB Kingston Ram; 250GB Seagate; 160GB Seagate; 160GB Western Digital; Lite-on DVD player; Hauppauge Rosyln; Hauppauge PVR-150; ATI AIW 7500; Actisys 200L; running stock v5 .stv

Client: MVP Extender running SageMC
Old 12-07-2006, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUC
Have you tried forcing 100 full instead of auto? I used to have a problem waaay back when using Matt's original MVP plugin where i had to do exactly what you did. But after Sage's integration it hasn't been an issue.
Juc
No, but I'll give that a shot. Thanks.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:10 PM

Tried it, no luck. Had to go back to 10 and half.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:11 PM
Sage

Have you tried using the built-in MVP support with SageTV? That shouldn't have the problems you're describing here. (I'm guessing you're using the plugin instead since you were using it in V4)
Old 12-07-2006, 05:14 PM
Sage Icon

hhmmm....up to date drivers for your ethernet? maybe try uninstalling and reinstalling. Or disabling and reenabling? Is this an onboard NIC? if not-try switching slots if you have any available. Of course--this isn't getting to the reason this is happening now and not before. Do you have a spare NIC? might be worth a shot to try it out.
Server: Athlon 2000XP; 1GB Kingston Ram; 250GB Seagate; 160GB Seagate; 160GB Western Digital; Lite-on DVD player; Hauppauge Rosyln; Hauppauge PVR-150; ATI AIW 7500; Actisys 200L; running stock v5 .stv

Old 12-07-2006, 05:15 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex
Have you tried using the built-in MVP support with SageTV? That shouldn't have the problems you're describing here. (I'm guessing you're using the plugin instead since you were using it in V4)

Woa!! didn't even pick up on that. I would think he would be using the built in support though.....or should be! Do you have an extender license?

Old 12-07-2006, 10:39 PM
Sage User

I don't know if I have the same problems, but my video is pretty choppytoo. It is only chopper for my recorded shows, but watching live TV (which is recorded on the hard drive while I am watching) and impported video it is perfect. This is confusing me. I thought it had somehting to do with Comskip. These problems seemed to happen soon after I installed it.

Now I have restored the computer from before i setup Sage, reintalled and still the same problem. Though I noticed it was not a clean install since all my recordings schedule and favorites and license were stll on there.

Any suggestions for the MVP problem?

Andy
Old 12-08-2006, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex
I'm using the built-in support, not the plugin. I originally started with the plug in, but then switched when it became built in. Both worked flawlessly before, not sure now why it's not. The Ethernet is built-in. I'll be checking if there is a new driver available.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:11 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via AIM to Diginerd Send a message via Yahoo to Diginerd
Ok guys something really important in here...

NEVER EVER EVER force 100/Full duplex as your Ethernet settings on you PC unless you are connecting to a managed switch that has had the port you are connecting to nailled to 100 full also.

If you explicitly set your speed to 100 full and you plug into an unmanaged switch / router (as most domestic gear is) you'll get a duplex mismatch as your PC won't be sending or responding to FLPs (Fast Link Pulses) which lets the switch work ou if you are running at full or half duplex.

A duplex mismatch manifests as really crummy performance, a speed mismatch = no connection at all.