SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 12-20-2006, 08:51 AM
Sage Icon

Are these correct when Sage is installed on the D:\ drive?

-------------------------------------------------------

do
dim taskname
taskname="nothing"
strComputer = "."
Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:" _
& "{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")
Set colProcessList = objWMIService.ExecQuery _
("Select * from Win32_Process Where Name = 'SageTV.exe'")
For Each objProcess in colProcessList
taskname=objprocess.name

Next
if taskname="SageTV.exe" then
'Do Nothing Continue Checking
else
'Restart Sage Continue Checking
Set objShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
objShell.Run "D:\Program Files\SageTV\SageTV\restartsage.bat",0,True
end if

WScript.sleep(60 * 1000)
loop
------------------------------------------------------
D:
cd "D:\Program Files\SageTV\SageTV"
start SageTv.exe -startup
------------------------------------------------------

Thanks,

P

Edit: RestartSage.BAT will be in the SageTV directory.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:26 PM
Sage Icon

Yep, all looks good to me! Test before relying on it...
unRAID Server: Intel Core i5 7600K, 48GB DDR4, 2x512GB PCIe M.2 Cache Pool, 2x10TB SATA3 Parity Drive, 3x8TB SATA Array, 1x hdHomeRun DVB-T2 Quattro, IPTV via xTeVe, unRAID 6.8.3, tvHeadEnd for recording back end, Emby
Clients: 3 Nvidia Shields, 3 FireTV, 3 Win10 Pro PC Clients
Old 12-20-2006, 06:27 PM
Sage Icon

Will do, thanks!

P
Old 12-20-2006, 10:05 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulinigo
I don't run in service mode and I defrag regularly, yet I still get a spinning sage icon from time to time. I never had a problem with sluggishness or temporary freezes in version 5.
Maybe a silly question for the caliber of people here, but just in case, how much memory do you have? I had been using a system with only 256 Mb and saw the spinning icon a lot (version 5.04). After increasing to 1 Gb memory, no more spinning icon.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:08 AM
Sage Icon

1 Gig now...moving to 2 Gigs with a new build soon.

P
Old 12-21-2006, 02:19 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade
I'm not having any problems with spinning logos or response time. V6 seems to be as quick as 5 was for me.
At one point, roughly the same time I started using the v6 beta, I did some general "cleanup" on the system running SageTV, and foolishly installed or updated Symantec Antivirus. From that point onwards there were many spinning icon waits, or even times when I'd get the "connection to sagetv server lost... reconnecting" message. This even with the Symantec "auto-protect" supposedly switched off.

I thought I knew better than to mix antivirus software with this type of application, but for some reason I did, and that was the problem. Since removing SAV, everything has been lightning fast again.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtallan
... installed or updated Symantec Antivirus. From that point onwards there were many spinning icon waits, or even times when I'd get the "connection to sagetv server lost... reconnecting" message. This even with the Symantec "auto-protect" supposedly switched off.

I thought I knew better than to mix antivirus software with this type of application, but for some reason I did, and that was the problem. Since removing SAV, everything has been lightning fast again.
You can use AntiVirus software with SageTV, but it is best to exclude at least the recording and import dirs from auto scanning so it doesn't interfere with playback.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:14 PM
Sage Icon

For me, your PVR should be dedicated to that function. It will be connected to the net but should be firewalled, not used for email, and surfing only safe sites. Most AV programs (especially Symantec and McAfee) are resource hogs and best not installed on a PVR machine.

Just be careful out there!
unRAID Server: Intel Core i5 7600K, 48GB DDR4, 2x512GB PCIe M.2 Cache Pool, 2x10TB SATA3 Parity Drive, 3x8TB SATA Array, 1x hdHomeRun DVB-T2 Quattro, IPTV via xTeVe, unRAID 6.8.3, tvHeadEnd for recording back end, Emby
Clients: 3 Nvidia Shields, 3 FireTV, 3 Win10 Pro PC Clients
Old 12-22-2006, 07:03 PM
Sage User

I have a gig of pc3200 and an AMD 2600. I use AVG antivirus. All the same stuff I had when using version 5. But after installing version 6... it is sometimes sluggish. I even tried completely removing sage and doing a fresh install.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:38 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulinigo
I have a gig of pc3200 and an AMD 2600. I use AVG antivirus. All the same stuff I had when using version 5. But after installing version 6... it is sometimes sluggish. I even tried completely removing sage and doing a fresh install.
Fresh install-uninstall and delete the Sage directory and only putting back your wiz.bin file? I would do that and make sure to reconfigure from scratch-don't save your .properties file. Also try using the version of java that comes with Sage and update with the latest directX components and video drivers for your card.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 12-23-2006, 07:49 AM
Sage User

That is exactly how I did the fresh install. I am going to look into the java and directx ideas when I get some free time though. That may be the problem. Thanks.

EDIT: 2/20/07, Works perfect after a reformat/restore and fresh install.

Last edited by raulinigo; 02-21-2007 at 09:09 PM.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:39 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtallan
At one point, roughly the same time I started using the v6 beta, I did some general "cleanup" on the system running SageTV, and foolishly installed or updated Symantec Antivirus. From that point onwards there were many spinning icon waits, or even times when I'd get the "connection to sagetv server lost... reconnecting" message. This even with the Symantec "auto-protect" supposedly switched off.

I'm not picking on anyone in particular but I see this type of post all over the Internet in different forums and yet the madness continues.

Note to anyone using Symantec Antivirus - This isn't just common with SAGETV. Symantec causes problems with all kinds of other applications and general eats so much CPU that you'd think scanning for viruses was more important than any other system function. I have succesfully run SageTV v5/6 with both Kaspersky AV(put SageTV.exe in as an excluded process) and Grisoft AVG(with no modifications.)

It amazes me that the average consumer keeps relying on the relics of the AV industry Norton and McAfee when very robust solutions exist from other more agile and adept developers.

After all you don't run Microsoft Media Center do you? You're familiar with looking for alternatives.

Try these -
(ALL FREE)
Grisoft AVG
Avast Home Edition
FreeAV
(COMMERCIAL but one of the best detection rates and far less invasive than the "big" boys.")
Kaspersky AV

Friends don't let friends use Norton AV.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:11 PM
Sage Advanced User

Give Nod32 AntiVirus a go http://www.eset.com/
Not free but one of the best out there. Also has a Small footprint and not a resource hog.
This post will tell you how to set it up for peace of mind. http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=37509

Last edited by ozfiles; 01-21-2007 at 04:14 PM.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:38 PM
Sage Advanced User

Unhappy

I tried Sage 6.0 and damn did I have problem. The spinning wheel's drove me nuts. In addition, I could never get TVGuide to work.

After a couple of days, I gave up and restored my ghost image. Works great with V5.