SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 12-07-2006, 12:49 PM
Sage Advanced User

Moving back to 5.0

What features would you miss most moving back to 5.0?

I can't stand the sluggishness of 6.0 anymore. The nonworking service mode and constant spinning "wait" icons - just killing me.

1. Transcoding - great feature but all my HD => SD transcoding the sound is complete off by a few seconds so worthless.

2. Google video - i don't use it

Anything else really?

thanks
Old 12-07-2006, 10:14 PM
Sage Advanced User

DVD support on the media extender. Won't do with out it now.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:08 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolio
What features would you miss most moving back to 5.0?
Very fast scrolling in libraries with thumbnails, improved music/video library with quick-search, integrated compression (I only have SDTV)
Old 12-09-2006, 09:09 PM
Sage User

"constant spinning "wait" icons - just killing me"

Is everyone experiencing this? I thought it was just me! What's the deal?
Old 12-09-2006, 11:23 PM
SageTVaholic

I'm not having any problems with spinning logos or response time. V6 seems to be as quick as 5 was for me.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:34 AM
Sage User

"constant spinning "wait" icons - just killing me"

Same Here, sometimes it can take 5-15 seconds when i press STOP (SAge TV Recordings),to return to the menu. (Video Thumbnail Generation on V6.0?)

Im kinda `stuck between a rock and a hard place`, i really like the Media Abilities of V6.0,but i prefer V5.0 more responsive UI.

Im gonna stick with V5.0 for now,and checkout later releases.

Saying that though,im very happy with the progress of V6.0,the new Media Library is excellent,also playback formats seem to be fully catered for,these are the only two areas that im personally interested in for my Sage Setup.
Abit AN-AM2HD | AMD5000+ | 2048MB DDR2-800 | ATI-3650 | 3TB Storage | Sage 6.4.8/Meedio 1.41 | XP 32BIT | FireDTV S2 | WinTV-NOVA-S+ | USB-UIRT/MX-500 Remote | Antec Fusion Case | Zalman Reserator 1 V2 | 1GB NIC`s

Last edited by Hades; 12-10-2006 at 02:45 AM.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:48 AM
Sage Fanatic

the only slowness I've had with v6 is with the MVP, when it would take ages to move between/down menus, but then I disabled the disk space usage bar at the top, as mentioned by a lot of people, and its now fine.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:55 AM
SageTVaholic

I have two types of slowness with v6 that I didn't have with v5:

1) stuttering video

2) long, pregnant pauses during video playback

Both of these mostly affect HDTV, but I'm also seeing the occaisional stutter in SDTV.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:15 AM
Sage Advanced User

The reason I am sticking with v6 is that they fixed the mpeg4 AR issue with the MVP. And to use the latest versions of sageMC...

Because I have changed the ver of comskip and added a HDhomerun, I cant really tell if the hangs and random oddness are due to the beta, or the new stuff.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:40 AM
SageTVaholic

How many of you experiencing slugishness are running service mode? I think there is still a problem there. Try running Sage as a normal application and see if that helps.

I gave up on service mode long ago. I just used TweakUI to make sure my system logs on automatically and have not had a problem since.

The only benefit I can see with service mode is that it will automatically restart if Sage crashes. I've been using the system very heavily for over a year and have had exactly one unexplained crash. (I did crash or hang the system a few times but in each case it was while I was "tweaking" something or another.) So for me I see no value to service mode.

And to answer the OP: MVP support is much better in v6. I'll never go back to v5.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.

Last edited by tmiranda; 12-10-2006 at 09:42 AM.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:13 AM
Sage Icon

I am sticking with v6 because I already paid 30 bucks for it.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:06 PM
Sage Icon

Just did the upgrade to the first RC, 1 server, three clients and 1 MVP. Everything looks ok, clients seem faster now, no problem with the MVP.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:47 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda
The only benefit I can see with service mode is that it will automatically restart if Sage crashes.
I have a little vbscript that runs on startup and checks every minute if Sage is running. If it finds it's not, it restarts it. The whole thing runs better when not using service mode...
unRAID Server: Intel Core i5 7600K, 48GB DDR4, 2x512GB PCIe M.2 Cache Pool, 2x10TB SATA3 Parity Drive, 3x8TB SATA Array, 1x hdHomeRun DVB-T2 Quattro, IPTV via xTeVe, unRAID 6.8.3, tvHeadEnd for recording back end, Emby
Clients: 3 Nvidia Shields, 3 FireTV, 3 Win10 Pro PC Clients
Old 12-17-2006, 02:13 PM
Sage Aficionado

Version 6 seems to have stepped on my video playback settings, turning on 3D and VMR9. I had to adjust this in setup to get my video to run fast again. The "Advanced" settings were making sluggish performance and stuttering on my Radeon card.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:35 PM
Sage Aficionado

Guys, try running Defrag on your drives. You will be surprised how much problems you will solve.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:35 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda
How many of you experiencing slugishness are running service mode? I think there is still a problem there. Try running Sage as a normal application and see if that helps.

I gave up on service mode long ago. I just used TweakUI to make sure my system logs on automatically and have not had a problem since.

The only benefit I can see with service mode is that it will automatically restart if Sage crashes. I've been using the system very heavily for over a year and have had exactly one unexplained crash. (I did crash or hang the system a few times but in each case it was while I was "tweaking" something or another.) So for me I see no value to service mode.

And to answer the OP: MVP support is much better in v6. I'll never go back to v5.
Does the service still recover if it crashes/fails like it does in service mode?

HP Media Center m390n, P4 2.4GHz, NVidia GeForce 5600 FX, Hauppauge PVR-250 PCI II, NVIDIA PureVideo Decoder, Microsoft Windows Media Center PC 2005, 1GB RAM, (2) 600MB HD, Motorola DCT5000 STB, USB-UIRT, Time-Warner Digital Cable
Old 12-18-2006, 01:36 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgillyon
I have a little vbscript that runs on startup and checks every minute if Sage is running. If it finds it's not, it restarts it. The whole thing runs better when not using service mode...
Nice! Can you share?

HP Media Center m390n, P4 2.4GHz, NVidia GeForce 5600 FX, Hauppauge PVR-250 PCI II, NVIDIA PureVideo Decoder, Microsoft Windows Media Center PC 2005, 1GB RAM, (2) 600MB HD, Motorola DCT5000 STB, USB-UIRT, Time-Warner Digital Cable
Old 12-18-2006, 03:29 PM
Sage Icon

Sure, sorry I can't credit the person who passed it to me, because I've forgotten! Maybe naplayer?

Put this in (say) checksage.vbs:
Code:
do
dim taskname
taskname="nothing"
strComputer = "."
Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:" _
& "{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")
Set colProcessList = objWMIService.ExecQuery _
("Select * from Win32_Process Where Name = 'SageTV.exe'")
For Each objProcess in colProcessList
taskname=objprocess.name

Next
if taskname="SageTV.exe" then
'Do Nothing Continue Checking
else
'Restart Sage Continue Checking
Set objShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
objShell.Run "C:\XviD\restartsage.bat",0,True
end if

WScript.sleep(60 * 1000)
loop
Run at startup, runs forever. The 60 in "WScript.sleep(60 * 1000)" is seconds, so if you want 5 minutes make it 300 etc.

restartsage.bat looks like:
Code:
C:
cd "C:\Program Files\SageTV\SageTV"
start SageTv.exe -startup
Run a batch file with this if you want to stop the script running:
Code:
tskill wscript /a
HTH!
unRAID Server: Intel Core i5 7600K, 48GB DDR4, 2x512GB PCIe M.2 Cache Pool, 2x10TB SATA3 Parity Drive, 3x8TB SATA Array, 1x hdHomeRun DVB-T2 Quattro, IPTV via xTeVe, unRAID 6.8.3, tvHeadEnd for recording back end, Emby
Clients: 3 Nvidia Shields, 3 FireTV, 3 Win10 Pro PC Clients
Old 12-18-2006, 05:26 PM
Sage User

I don't run in service mode and I defrag regularly, yet I still get a spinning sage icon from time to time. I never had a problem with sluggishness or temporary freezes in version 5.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:53 PM
Sage Icon

I have almost no problems at all with speed. No differences that I can detect from v5 to v6.

I run Sage in service mode on one computer and I do not use that computer to run Sage as a client. It's just a dedicatedfile server running XP Pro that basically sits in the closet and also picks up all my faxes electronically.

The only place where I find Sage to be somewhat slow (but this was also the case in V5) is when viewing pictures in the photo library (especially high res photos). It seems like a lot of programs have this problem and even windows explorer. The only program that is quick to view high res jpg files that I have found is Adobe. So, to resolve this issue, I easily went into Adobe batch mode and converted all my photos to the resolution that approximates my monitors (1366x768) and kept a backup of the high res photos for printing on my local workstation. Even after converting the photos to a much smaller resolution and also smaller jpg files, I think Sage support could/should be able to drastically improve the scrolling of photos.

(EDITED: almost forgot - no, I would never go back to v5. I love being able to play mp4 files directly in Sage without having to use GermSage to go to an external media player. I don't use the internal Sage mp4 utility but rather use a much better two pass utility. Also, I store all my permanent mp4 files on one drive on my file server, the C drive, and temporary files on the D drive so fragmentation has not been much of an issue. Also, cluster size is 64K of course).

Perhaps there are other problems with your workstations which is taking up resources causing Sage to be slow. No problems with my setup except for viewing photos which can lag a little.

Mike

Last edited by mike1961; 12-18-2006 at 06:55 PM.