SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 12-07-2006, 07:33 PM
Sage Expert

FF / RW don't work for AVI files

I used my new 6.0.14 to convert some recorded files from MPG to AVI...worked great and gives me same quality at 1/2 the space. On my main computer to the TV, the FF and RW work fine for these AVI files, but on my 2 MVP's the smooth FF and RW do not seem to work...so, what do I do to make the FF and RW work on AVI files on my MVP's?

Thank you,

Gary Ellis
Old 12-07-2006, 09:21 PM
Administrator

The first thing to do would be to update your v6.0.14 installation to the latest beta. If it still doesn't work, file a bug report.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:18 AM
Sage User

I have had this exact same problem. As long as I leave recordings in any MPEG2 format and quality RW/FF work great on my MVP. As soon as I convert to any other MPEG4 or MPEG4 in AVI format/quality I cannot RW/FF on my MVP at all.

I have the same RW/FF problem when watching downloaded or self-encoded XVID in AVI files from the imported video section.
Clone, Intel 945GTP, Intel Pentium D @ 2.8GHz, 1GB DDR2 RAM, 1x80GB SATA (OS, App), 2x200GB SATA (Recording), 1xDVD R/RW, 1xDVD/CD Combo w/10-in-1 Card Reader, Intel On-Board IGD, 1xPVR500MCE, 1xPVR150, Windows XP Pro (SP2), MCE Remote/Receiver and 2xIR Blaster
---
SageTV Media Center v6.0.19.120, SageTV PlaceShifter v6.0.19, J2SE 1.5.0-11
---
MediaMVP to RCA 61" DLP (1080i, 16:9), MediaMVP to RCA 27" (480i, 4:3), Logitech Harmony 880
---
FreeNAS v0.671, ClarkConnect Community Edition v4.x
Old 12-08-2006, 08:23 AM
Sage Expert

Exactly my problem....

I find that I can FF on x4 speed...(kind of jerky, but it works)

On higher FF speed, the timer goes to zero, but I actually think it is Fast forwarding at a higher speed, because when I click on "play" the time line moves much further forward...

I'm going to upgrade to the latest beta of software and see if that helps...

Gary
Old 12-13-2006, 07:27 AM
Sage Expert

FF for AVI files

My MVP has the normal "smooth FF/RW"..when I play an AVI file through to the MVP, the FF/RW jumps around on the time line and neither seem to work effectively.

I am using Divx for my AVI's. Should I change that? (somebody said something about XVID..but I didn't understand the difference..)

is there some other way to fix the FF/RW on the MVP to handle the AVI's?

I need to convert my MPEG's to save space...

Thanks,

Gary Ellis
Old 12-14-2006, 08:31 AM
Sage Expert

I upgraded to .016RC1...and still same problems with FF/RW...Since these are AVI files trying to play across my MVP, I read some of the other comments on the forum and see that others have had problems doing this. Somebody said maybe Xvid instead of Divx would help...Anybody have comments on that, since I don't even know what that means or how to do it.

Thanks,

Gary Ellis
Old 12-14-2006, 03:52 PM
Sage

Smooth FF/REW of transcoded material doesn't work very well on the MVP. Mainly because the transcoder needs to run so much faster than normal which it generally doesn't have enough CPU to do. With the original MPEG2 content it could just send it over the network and drop what it needed to.

Generally, if you want to preserve the ability to do smooth FF/REW you should keep the content in MPEG2 format. (this is true for many media players)
Old 12-14-2006, 09:10 PM
Sage Expert

Thanks..now that makes sense...

So, how do I do the "non smooth" FF/RW on the MVP? I really don't need the smooth, just a way to move forward or back..I wouldn't mind the jump forward or jump back..

Thanks,

Gary Ellis
Old 12-14-2006, 09:41 PM
Administrator

Just go to Detailed Setup -> Commands -> Link Command & reassign the smooth FF/REW buttons to FF/REW instead. Don't forget you can assign any other buttons, including Skip & Replay.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.