SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 12-12-2006, 11:15 AM
Sage Advanced User

Moving Hard Drives w/shows to new computer?

I am building a new server to host Sage. It will all be new except for the hard drives. I am trying to keep all the recorded shows and info. The OS is on a separate HD and I have 2 others just for Sage recordings.

I know that I can just install the HDs in the new system and let windows find all the changes for the motherboard, PCI, bridges, etc. and it should work.

But I would like to do a fresh install of WinXP and Sage, but still keep all the recorded show and info. Is this possible?

I have done a search and really didn't come up with this scenario. Most talked about moving recordings to different HDs.

TIA
Old 12-12-2006, 11:30 AM
Administrator

Did you see this FAQ? Check the last Q&A there.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:39 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrrl

I know that I can just install the HDs in the new system and let windows find all the changes for the motherboard, PCI, bridges, etc. and it should work.

TIA
Umm, that isn't entirely correct. You shouldn't just pop the HD into another system, turn it on, and expect it to work.
Quote:
you must reconfigure Windows to work with the new motherboard and its components because not all motherboards use the same hardware abstraction layer (HAL), integrated device electronics (IDE) controllers, basic input/output system (BIOS), and other components
How to replace the motherboard on a computer that is running Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, or Windows 2000

Quote:
Note that when you perform a repair of a current installation you will be asked to enter the Product Key that came with the CD. In essence you are installing a fresh copy of XP over the existing copy. While data and settings are not destroyed, any Service Packs will have to be reinstalled after the repair process has completed.

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:28 AM
Sage Advanced User

Ok, read all your postings and here is what is what I did.

I copied the complete SageTV folder to another computer. Then build the new computer, installing WinXP on a new 20GB drive for just the OS & Sage, but keeping the two older data drives (recordings, DVDs, etc). Then I installed a new instance of SageTV, putting in my keys, but when it went to the set up screens, I closed it. I then replaced the new SageTV folder on the C: drive with the older copied SageTV folder that I had copied to another computer for safe keeping. I had to change the data drive letters to what they were in the old Sage machine via WinXP Computer Management tools (MMC). I had to start the SateTV service with new setting. I then started SageTV and everything worked. I didn’t lose a thing.

Thanks for the help.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:54 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrrl
Ok, read all your postings and here is what is what I did.

I copied the complete SageTV folder to another computer. Then build the new computer, installing WinXP on a new 20GB drive for just the OS & Sage, but keeping the two older data drives (recordings, DVDs, etc). Then I installed a new instance of SageTV, putting in my keys, but when it went to the set up screens, I closed it. I then replaced the new SageTV folder on the C: drive with the older copied SageTV folder that I had copied to another computer for safe keeping. I had to change the data drive letters to what they were in the old Sage machine via WinXP Computer Management tools (MMC). I had to start the SateTV service with new setting. I then started SageTV and everything worked. I didn’t lose a thing.

Thanks for the help.
I'll be doing this same thing soon (a new dual-core system).

Did you have any problems with the HAL, or did you just do a complete re-isntall of windows?

-Dan
Old 12-14-2006, 08:51 PM
Sage Advanced User

I had a new 20 GB drive so I did a fresh install of WinXP. Doing as I did in the write up it was a snap and I didn't lose anything. I did have to reinstall ComSkip Monitor and the web server. But so far thats been it.

I did the upgrade from a P4 1.6 to a P4 3.2, that I have had overclocked to 3.8. The biggest reason was I wanted to be able to watch AVI files on my MVP and the P4 1.6 just was max'd out. I have not tried the 3.2 yet, but I am hoping it can handle the AVI files. If not the motherboard can also handle Core Duo's so I may have to try that next.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:16 PM
Sage Icon

I just did a BYO PC, reusing my case, PS, drives, with an AMD 4200 duo and PC6400 and extra low latency RAM. Man, this thing is amazingly fast by my standards! I can't tell anything's running, except when burning DVDs. Transcoding mpeg didn't phase it. ASUS microATX AM2 motherboard - because I like small PCs. NewEgg had the best prices and instant delivery.