SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 12-12-2006, 11:35 PM
Sage User

Couple of General questions about SageTV / HTPC

I'm considering building an HTPC next year and couldn't even figure out how to seach for answers to these questions.

1) On the tv guide screen of SageTV, is the window that displays video set to the channel I'm CURRENTLY watching as I scroll through the guide, or does it try to change to whatever I'm on as I scroll? Think the difference between Cox TV cable boxes and Time Warner cable boxes. I much prefer to be able to keep watching my show in the small screen while I look to see what else is on, so want to know if this is possible. Big deal to me.

2) Is ISO format storage of DVD's supported and playback without having to mount the ISO? If not, what format are you using to rip / store your DVDs?

3) I'm assuming it would be ideal to have a HDD for TV show captures (maybe even 2, one for each tuner dedicated?) and then one for music / DVD movies (or more). I take it it's easy to configure across multiple HDD's this way and assign for specific tuners, DVD library on more than one HDD if not raided, etc?

Thanks guys!

P.S. What's the most popular remote, the MCE one?
Old 12-12-2006, 11:54 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumrtym
I'm considering building an HTPC next year and couldn't even figure out how to seach for answers to these questions.

1) On the tv guide screen of SageTV, is the window that displays video set to the channel I'm CURRENTLY watching as I scroll through the guide, or does it try to change to whatever I'm on as I scroll? Think the difference between Cox TV cable boxes and Time Warner cable boxes. I much prefer to be able to keep watching my show in the small screen while I look to see what else is on, so want to know if this is possible. Big deal to me.
It will stay with your current channel/recording/imported video, so you will be able to browse without interupting your current show.

Quote:
2) Is ISO format storage of DVD's supported and playback without having to mount the ISO? If not, what format are you using to rip / store your DVDs?
No. There may be a plugin to add that feature, but it is not natively supported. Currently the DVD format supported is to just rip the VOB's onto your HD, and store in separate folders.

Quote:
3) I'm assuming it would be ideal to have a HDD for TV show captures (maybe even 2, one for each tuner dedicated?) and then one for music / DVD movies (or more). I take it it's easy to configure across multiple HDD's this way and assign for specific tuners, DVD library on more than one HDD if not raided, etc?
HDD support is very easy. You can specify as many folders on HDs to record to as needed. IIRC, you can dedicate recording folders to specific tuners, but usually it isn't neccessary to do so. And having separate HD's for imported videos, music, pictures, ripped DVD's is no problem either.

Quote:
Picking the best remote is one of the hardest part of building a PVR. I use a Hauppauge 45-button remote, came with my PVR-150. I really like it. Don't see a reason to change right now.

I built my parent's Sage box with a MCE remote. IT's ok, but I think I'm gonna replace it with something else, it just doesn't have enough buttons to do what I want. I like to have a Delete button along with Watched, Don't Like, and Favorites shortcut buttons. I'll see how they are with the MCE remote, right now they are learning the system, so it may be a situation of not knowing the power of Sage, and not using it to its potential, and not needing a remote to be able to use that potential.

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:00 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumrtym

Thanks guys!

I rip my DVDs as older Divx since I don't care about menus/special features. Newer Divx supposedly can preserve this. I am able to get close to two hundred movies per 200 gig drive.