SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 12-13-2006, 04:41 AM

Using a universal remote control

Ok, Im a complete newbie with a few questions:
I have a universal remote control (motorola)
I have a Dazzle ToGo capture card with IR port also know as PCTV-100e (Pinnacle)
I have a computer with an IR Port

Im trying to set up my system so that I can control sage tv with my remote control.

What is the best way to go about this?
Should I be trying to use the card's IR or the computers?

The documentation with the Dazzle is extremely poor, but there is a remote control (not included) that can control the card.

Is USB-UIRT a program that could help me here? It seems to only apply to some sort of external IR port via USB.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:33 AM
Sage Icon

The USB-UIRT is an external IR reciever/transmitter that is supported by Sage. By supported this means if you have one, you go into Sage detail setup and link a Sage command with a button press and there is no additional software needed. I use one and it works extremely well. Sage can also control it to change the channels on a set top box if you use one.

As far as the Dazzle ToGo, I've no idea if you can use that. You would have to find a driver, then some software to link the remote button press to a Sage command. Girder, HIP can be used to link the remote button to a Sage command if the IR reciever is supported.

You may be able to use the computer IR port. Look into WinLIRC. It may be able to read your IR port and you would then have it talk with Girder/HIP to link to Sage.

I used WinLIRC for many years with Sage/Girder and it worked fine, but the setup is extremely difficult and it was not always 100%. I then bought the USB-UIRT and have never regretted it.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:21 AM
Sage Expert

I was able to take my Universal Remote Control (URC) and find Philips codes that control Sage. I actually input every code for any Philips TV and VCR on the list until some of the buttons worked. Then I had to program Sage to accept certain button clicks for certain commands..(that was the easy part)

bottomline, first step is to input a code into the URC that produces IR signals that sage recognizes...Again, these are Philips codes and they must be RC5...As I understand it, not all URC's can output RC5 codes...(but that is the code set that Philips uses on some of their equipment..)

I have a URC 9910 and URC 8820.....very cheap and it goes into the computer IR...

Hope this helps..

Gary Ellis