SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 12-13-2006, 08:25 AM
Sage User

HDHomerun - Live TV problem on some channels

I'm having an interesting issue with my newly setup HDhomerun that I wonder if anyone else has seen. Initially, I mapped the HD channels for the major networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX), and live TV plays fine, and recordings play fine. Now that I've had it working for several days, I've started to add other channels - the first being WHYY-DT, the Philly PBS HD station. And here is where I found an interesting issue.

I can tune this channel in VLC without issue. However, when I map in the lineup and try to watch it live in Sage, I get a "No Signal" message. I can record shows on the channel, but I cannot watch them while the recording is in progress. But, once the recording finishes, the recorded file will play just fine in SageTV.

I was originally having the problem in version 5, but have since upgraded to version 6 RC1 and am still having the problem

Any ideas?
Old 12-13-2006, 08:52 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkster99
I'm having an interesting issue with my newly setup HDhomerun that I wonder if anyone else has seen. Initially, I mapped the HD channels for the major networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX), and live TV plays fine, and recordings play fine. Now that I've had it working for several days, I've started to add other channels - the first being WHYY-DT, the Philly PBS HD station. And here is where I found an interesting issue.

I can tune this channel in VLC without issue. However, when I map in the lineup and try to watch it live in Sage, I get a "No Signal" message. I can record shows on the channel, but I cannot watch them while the recording is in progress. But, once the recording finishes, the recorded file will play just fine in SageTV.

I was originally having the problem in version 5, but have since upgraded to version 6 RC1 and am still having the problem

Any ideas?
I had a few problems with my HDHR where I got "No Signal". I found that I was overloading the inputs because I had a preamp in front of the unit. Removing the preamp solved the problem.

Andy.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:26 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkster99

Any ideas?
I had similar problems the first day, and I attributed it to my network connection (using a direct connection--no router). I don't think I've had a problem after doing a clean boot and not making any changes to setup after such a boot. But, I'm only on about day three, so maybe a problem will arise.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:52 PM
Sage User

just to clarify - it's not that the HDHomerun can't tune the PBS-HD channel. It can, and I can view it in VLC. I can also pick a show to record in the Sage guide, and it will record just fine. However, I cannot play the recording, while the recording is in progress. Thus, I cannot watch LiveTV on that channel either...I CAN play the shows from that channel once the recordings have finished, though. very strange.

also, just for reference, the channel is 75-1 (PBS-HD here in Wilmington, DE). 75-2, which is CBS-HD works fine (I can watch LiveTV and recordings while they are in progress)
Old 12-14-2006, 11:31 AM
Sage Advanced User

I can't view any hdhomerun shows live but if I record them then play they later I can view them. It's just when trying to view the show live that I have a problem.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:06 PM
Sage Advanced User

The only channels I have this problem with are the "Indemand" preview channels. With VLC, I can watch the shows (apparently usually "Girls gone Wild" stuff), but if I try to watch LiveTV on those channels, the system hangs.

Of course, the HDHomeRun software shows those channels as being encrypted, even though VLC plays them fine??
Old 12-14-2006, 03:24 PM
Sage Icon

As far as I know, most of the ondemand programming on cable systems is sent in the clear. Crypto and ondemand have some issues the way the MSO's do it, but I don't think the MSO's worry much about this. It's not like the programming is scheduled in advance, and generally the distribution network is set so that a given ondemand stream is visible in only in a limited area. It is not simulcast to all nodes. PPV is different and is multicast, so that is usually encrypted.

The channel assignments for ondemand are mapped on the fly, so I'm not sure why this matters, but if Sage is somehow reading a 5C when the content is in the clear, that is a bug that needs to be reported.

Bad header info is common in this business, so one needs to be careful about reading too much into it.

Thanks,
Mike