SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 12-16-2006, 08:13 PM
Sage User

"Maintenance" Feature Request

Since I'm now the household "sys admin", I'd love to have a maintenance feature that will allow me to globally suspend scheduled recordings so I can take care of server chores (updates, reboots, whatever). Specifically it would have at least 4 modes:
  1. Immediate
    Cancel all current recordings and suspend all scheduled recordings.
  2. Pending
    Allow in-progress recordings to complete and suspend all scheduled recordings thereafter.
  3. Scheduled
    Schedule a maintenance time; all scheduled recordings starting from or overlapping with the maintenance time will be suspended.
  4. Resume
    Resume recording schedule. Possibly with a log of any scheduled recordings that were missed during suspension.

Not a super glamorous feature, but I've found myself racing to get things done during small windows between scheduled recordings.

--Steve
Old 12-16-2006, 08:32 PM
Sage Aficionado

Why worry about it? If you miss a recording it will catch it again next time it airs. If you need to reboot a computer for whatever reason then just do it, no worries.

Personally updates on a computer used for watching TV isn't a high priority item, now if you do email and web browsing then I would say keep the sucker updated.
Old 12-17-2006, 02:38 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cummings66
Why worry about it? If you miss a recording it will catch it again next time it airs. If you need to reboot a computer for whatever reason then just do it, no worries.

Personally updates on a computer used for watching TV isn't a high priority item, now if you do email and web browsing then I would say keep the sucker updated.
Point taken.

I'm mainly interested in #2 -- having some slightly intelligent way to let the in-progress stuff finish, but stop anything else that's scheduled immediately after or overlapping with whatever's currently recording.

Maybe I'm just overthinking it. It wouldn't be the first time.

--Steve
Old 12-17-2006, 03:08 PM
SageTVaholic

You don't really need this to be built in. You just need some way of monitoring recording activity from an external program or batch file and sending the appropriate commands to stop and restart SageTV and/or SageTVService.

This has come up before and people have posted scripts for doing this sort of thing. I don't have a link off the top of my head but you should be able to find it with a little forum searching.