SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Recorder Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Recorder Software Discussion related to the SageTV Recorder application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Recorder should be posted here.

Old 11-07-2003, 09:47 AM
Sage User

Software to cut or edit the generated Sage Recorder Mpeg file?

Does any one have time to redit the generated mpeg file?
I tried various tools like Mpeg2vcr to shorten the length of the mpeg file at desired time but the new mpeg has audio/video out of sync.

Does Sage has some tools to do this?

Any help is appreciated!
Old 11-07-2003, 11:00 AM
SageTV Co-Founder

I've used the nanocosmos editer that comes with the Hauppauge cards with no sync problems.
Old 11-12-2003, 06:51 AM
Sage User

I've posted a similar reply in another thread...

Open the mpeg2 file in ulead DVD factory.
Author the file to create a folder with VOB file.

Open the VOB file with a freeware program called DVDShrink.
Choose to 're-author' the file, then click the start/stop button on the top of the DVDShrink menu bar.
Set the start and end points for the movie and click the 'Backup' button.
The file will be re-authored and will be perfectly edited with no a/v sync problems.
You can then just burn the VOB file to DVD or keep it and watch it with PowerDVD for example.
Alternatively you can convert it back to mpeg2.

I've tried many editors to remove commercials etc from mpeg2 files and they almost always either cause sync issues or the don't cut where you ask them to, as they tend to only cut on the I-frames.
This method allows you to cut between any single frames and the results I've experienced so far have been flawless!

Good luck!
Old 11-12-2003, 07:15 AM
Sage Advanced User

I have not tried DVDShrink for this purpose but I do use it for other things and it is a great program. To cut the MPEG file direct I have used Womble with great success. Will try the DVDShrink method and see how that works?? Don't you have to load the files several times in DVDShrink to cut out multiple commercials ???
Old 11-12-2003, 10:25 AM
Sage User

I guess that depends on how you record your shows.
I only use this method to remove commercials from shows that I'm transferring from VHS to DVD.
I transfer the show in segments with each break coming during a commercial break.
i.e. if there's 2 commercial breaks during a 1 hour episode then I end up with 3 mpeg files.
This makes it much easier to just trim off the start and finish of each file (which can all be loaded in one go with DVDShrink) and after re-authoring you end up with 3 separate ready-made chapters for your dvd.
Old 11-14-2003, 08:46 AM
Sage User

Hi,

Thanks for your help!

I tried your suggestion on the nanocosmos editer .
This is confirmed that is out of sync on an entire 2 gig mpeg2 file.
Other than this, is there any less expensive software that solve that problem.

I tried to use Tmpgenc Dvd author to generated a vob file and to have dvd shrink cut it as suggested by others in this thread . But the resulting vob file still has audio / video out of sync.

I do have a problem that I already post in another thread is that I have that mpeg file that could not be loaded with Movie Factory 2. Even after, cutting with nanocosmos, it still doesn't want to load.

Something that SageRecorder writes to the stream to prevent movie factory 2 to load? I could send you a snapshot of that bad mpeg file that Sage Recorder generated if you have time to look at it.

Getting back to the cutting issue, it won't be hard to cut an mpeg file only at the end of the mpeg file keeping the start point intact. But I don't know why software has hard time to produce the audio/video out of sync. I will understand if you choose a different start point that the program has to reencode somehow. But trimming the end should not have audio/video out of sync.

But best of all, will be Sage Recorder to have a feature to cut at desire point since it knows best how it encodes the mpeg stream and regenerated the start and end marker correctly. Something Sage could look onto it.

tafguy
Old 11-14-2003, 09:32 AM
Sage Aficionado

MyFlix XE

I think that you'll want to check out an application called "MyFlix XE". It's easy to use, does per frame editing with no sync issues and no transcoding.

I've been using it for quite awhile with no problems. The website states that it is not guaranteed to work w/ vbr recordings. I have not tried it w/ vbr files myself. There is a demo available if this is an issue.

I cannot stress enough how much it rocks, after trying many other programs with lackluster results.
Old 11-15-2003, 02:54 AM
Sage User

I looked for eons, it seems, for a solution to the editing problem. Nanocosmos and Ulead Movie Factory (when used to edit) cause timing problems. The official versions and custom versions that Hauppauge gives you have the same problems. The timing problems can be confirmed by loading the edited videos into VirtualDub, which reports joining errors. I got so fed-up that I baught what I think is a fairly expensive product ($120):

MPEG-VCR by Womble,

www.womble.com

There's a free 30-day demo. Its editor works excellent, and it uses keyboard shortcuts and mouse scroll wheel to help select the exact frame you want. Thats great if your wrists aint so good anymore. It also can multiplex and demux audio and video streams, like tsunami mpeg converter, but unlike tsunami, its MPEG encoder sucks bad. So if you want to transcode your videos, use something else after you edit it with womble I use movie factory for transcoding which I think it does fairly well, and for converting edited videos to DVD format.

Im having great success using sage recorder, womble mpeg-vcr and movie factory! Great videos with no audio timing problems and good cuts. Now if only I could find a reliable brand of dvd-r...
Old 11-15-2003, 12:49 PM
Sage User

I don't know what brand of DVD-R you've tried, but I've been using Princo 4X white top DVD-R for months and I've never had
a problem. They always burn perfectly and look good with the clean white top.
I'm using a Teac DV W50E burner and the discs burn equally well at 1, 2 or 4 speed.
The cheapest place I've found to order them is through Valuemedia online in the uk where you get 100 of them for £69.
Old 11-19-2003, 12:27 PM
Sage User

Solved!

By cutting the first 2 minutes of the mpeg2 file, I successfully load the mpeg file with Movie Factory 2.
Nanocosmos is the right tool for editing mpeg2 file. No audio/video sync at all. I have also tried Mpeg2vcr 3.12 but out of luck while others claim that it is working fine with their files.

But I still don't know what caused the bad spots in the first mpeg2 stream when Sage Recorder did during the recording. Could this be some delay of the audio and the video stream after hitting the recording button that could cause the error? Somehow cutting it after the interval where the errors are , seem to correct the problem.
Old 12-25-2003, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by anubis341
... Open the mpeg2 file in ulead DVD factory.
Author the file to create a folder with VOB file.

Open the VOB file with a freeware program called DVDShrink.
Choose to 're-author' the file, then click the start/stop button on the top of the DVDShrink menu bar.
Set the start and end points for the movie and click the 'Backup' button.
The file will be re-authored and will be perfectly edited with no a/v sync problems.
You can then just burn the VOB file to DVD or keep it and watch it with PowerDVD for example.
Alternatively you can convert it back to mpeg2. ...

Good luck!
I can do all of that now as you describe, with one exception. Hope you can clarify for me. You said "Alternatively you can convert it back to mpeg2." How do I do this step from the VIDEO_TS folder re-authored with DVDShrink.

Thanks in advance, and Happy Holidays.
Old 12-27-2003, 02:53 AM
Sage Expert

anubis341 .... thanks for the tips.....your work flow works very well but I have one question. What if I want to do advance menu design? Ex...I create a nice menu design in Uleade Movie Maker 2, then encode to disk, then bring into DVDShrink, re-author, then if I reimport into Movie Maker 2 to burn my DVD with Menues I have to concert which takes forever. Any way around this?

Thanks,
Deadbolt
Old 01-11-2004, 07:22 AM
Sage User

I've actually moved on to a couple different programs lately as I've found they give me much more flexibility to do exactly what I want and they're a little more professional.

I'm using Womble Video Wizard to edit the mpegs, I'm using DVDLab to create the dvd with fully customizable menu options (you can do anything in this program) and I'm using CloneDVD to shrink and burn the discs if they are too large.

All three programs offer a trial period of a month and then have to be paid for but I've been using them all for a little over a month and have bought all three. I've encountered absolutely no problems with any of them so far.
Old 01-13-2004, 09:51 AM
Sage Expert

Has anyone tried the Vdub-mpeg2 program?
http://www.dvdrhelp.com/avi2divx.htm

I tried it out a couple of nights ago when I was converting my Tv shows to xvid. Use the home to start area where you want to cut out then hit end when that area is finished. Hit Ctr-X and you can cut out that area.

It was working good, audio sync and everything but I am now getting errors. Probably something stupid on my part.