SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 12-22-2006, 07:19 PM
Sage User

Need HDTV quality recording: Settings needed?

I have configured Sage TV to work as a recorder - but I am not interested in live or recorded playback on the pc itself. I want to record the highest quality it can to the hard drive and playback with a hardware player such as my JVC DVD100U (Linkplayer) onto a 9' wide screen with DVI out from the JVC.

I will be using 720P from my projector.

Currently - my test recordings are not looking like HD should.

What do I need to setup and modify to get perfect HDTV quality on my recordings?

Will I need to be concerned with 720P vs. 1080i broadcasts?
Old 12-22-2006, 10:58 PM
Administrator

What kind of tuner do you have? If it is an SD tuner, it won't record as HD quality. When using an HD tuner, it just records the digital stream as it is received, so there are no recording quality settings.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:47 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
What kind of tuner do you have? If it is an SD tuner, it won't record as HD quality. When using an HD tuner, it just records the digital stream as it is received, so there are no recording quality settings.

- Andy
I apologize. It is in fact an HDTV tuner for OTA.
Its the Vbox DTA-150 Receiver BDA capture driver
and the Vbox TV Receiver BDA Tuner driver DTF8600-ATSC as listed in hardware properties.
Windows XP
Athlon 2.2 gig
1 gig ram

I have made some progress by setting recording quality to best under the card and sage both and turning on deinterlacing. I am unsure about bob weave and the A B C D mpeg settings? What are these for?

Keep in mind I run Sage minimized to the tray, so I only need to know what settings control quality of recording and not local pc playback...since I playback the files in the theatre at 720p.

I assume the deinterlacing has made the largest difference since I am using 720p - but I think the bitrate may still need to be higher than what best is offering?

Is this possible as in the case of the other cards where you can freely edit the sage.properties file?

Last edited by mikecazz; 12-23-2006 at 08:50 AM.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:50 AM
Sage Expert

As Opus already stated above, an HD stream is recorded exactly as its transmitted. There are no options you can change to effect the quality and it will be exactly the same stream if you recorded it using any other application e.g. DVBViewer.

The deinterlacing and mpeg options you're playing around with are playback settings, nothing to do with recording.