SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 12-24-2006, 08:54 AM
Sage Aficionado

new V6 problem with my key

I purchased:
STVCM SageTV Client License for MVP
STVS **SageTV Media Center Version 5.0
STVPCL SageTV Placeshifter Connection License
STVR15 SageTV Recorder Version 1.5
back in November and this month.
Went to install:
SageTV_V6_018Setup.exe
no problem
SageTVClient_V6_0_Setup.exe
problem:
ask for my key again
when I used the key I had it said invalid!
I notice on my start/programs/sagetv that it has an extra program:
SageTVServiceControl.exe
it seems to be the same program that will not accept my key.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Ray
Old 12-24-2006, 09:23 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewman
I purchased:
STVCM SageTV Client License for MVP
STVS **SageTV Media Center Version 5.0
STVR15 SageTV Recorder Version 1.5
back in November and this month.
Went to install:
SageTV_V6_018Setup.exe
no problem
problem:
ask for my key again
SageTVServiceControl.exe
it seems to be the same program that will not accept my key.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Ray
Even though you list Sage 5 you may have purchased a ver 4 key. If that is the case you need to purchase the upgrade only for the server. I don't think the server asls for a key until you start it. I think the client install looks for the key first.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewman
Went to install:
SageTV_V6_018Setup.exe
no problem
problem:
ask for my key again
SageTVServiceControl.exe
If I understand the above info correctly, you said there was no problem on your server, but there was a problem on your client. If that is true... the existence of SageTVServiceControl.exe means that you installed SageTV on your client instead of SageTVClient. Uninstall & be sure to run SageTVClient_V6_0_18Setup.exe on your client for the reinstall.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:22 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
If I understand the above info correctly, you said there was no problem on your server, but there was a problem on your client. If that is true... the existence of SageTVServiceControl.exe means that you installed SageTV on your client instead of SageTVClient. Uninstall & be sure to run SageTVClient_V6_0_18Setup.exe on your client for the reinstall.

- Andy
I read that in the user manual and did not understand.
For now I want all my tuners and media files to be on one computer
(that is the server??)
most of the time I will be running MVPs
once in a great while, some remote pc
Maybe I do not know the function of sagetv vs server
I thought different pc would run placeshifter?
Please explain in more detail!!
Thanks,
Ray
Old 12-24-2006, 01:49 PM
Sage Icon

A small overview of Sage for you:

1 PC will be the "main server". It runs SageTV and is in charge of a couple things, such as keeping track of your schedule and running your MVP's. It also is the PC that supports your placeshifter clients and also does any video conversion transcoding. IT should have some CPU power since many of those tasks take some power.

In most cases, the main server will have all the tuners and storage space in it. However, tuners may be installed into a second PC. In that case, you would either use SageRecorder(sorta obsolete, not updated, doesn't support newer tuners) or a "network encoding server" installation of SageTV.

If you have SageTV installed on a PC, you can do both the SageTV server stuff and also run the SageTV User interface so you can watch TV on that PC.

SageTVClient is for PC's that want to run the SageTV UI, but will not have any tuners in that PC.

Placeshifter is for PC's that want to run the SageTV UI, but will not have any tuners in that PC, and is designed for low bandwith connections, such as internet usage.

Your extender license is so you can use your MVP. Your Extender license is the same as your Placeshifter license, and they are "floating" licenses. You cna have as many MVP's and placeshifters installed, but from your list, it looks like you have 3 licenses, so you can use any combination of 3 MVPs/placeshifters on at the same time.

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 12-25-2006, 11:53 AM
Sage Aficionado

So right now I only need:
SageTV_V6_0_18Setup.exe
for my tuners and server

and

SageTVPlaceshifter_V6_)_18Setup.exe
for remote PC

BUT
SageTVClient_V6_0_10Setup.exe
is only used for addon tuners, media files server pc?

Is that right?
Thanks,
Ray
Old 12-25-2006, 12:38 PM
Sage Icon

OK, SageTV_V6_0_18Setup.exe for main Sage server, and any computer with tuners that you want Sage to use.

SageTVClient_V6_0_18Setup.exe or SageTVPlaceshifter_V6_0_18Setup.exe (for low-bandwith connections, such as internet or poor WiFi) in any client computers that you want to watch Sage on, that don't have tuners.

How bout listing your equipment, PC's (wiith/without tuners), MVP's, etc, and we can help with some exacts.

edit: I don't know if it is confusing you, but each copy of SageTV_V6_0_18Setup.exe has a "psuedo-SageTVClient" in it. So, if a computer has SageTV_V6_0_18Setup.exe installed, it also has the client software installed to watch Sage on it. There is no need to install SageTVClient_V6_0_18Setup.exe, or a SageTVClient license on a PC that alreadh has SageTV_V6_0_18Setup.exe.

Last edited by ke6guj; 12-25-2006 at 01:00 PM.
Old 12-25-2006, 01:02 PM
Sage Aficionado

now I understand.
I think
Thanks,
Ray
Old 12-25-2006, 02:30 PM
Sage Aficionado

OOPS!
Reading software descriptions now I am confused again.
I know the mediamvp and placeshifer license are the same.
What is the difference between:
placeshifter (for pc to view anywhere in the internet?)
SageTV Client (for pc to view only on LAN?)

added tuners on another pc require sageTV (modified selection)?

Thanks,
Ray
Old 12-25-2006, 04:56 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
What is the difference between:
placeshifter (for pc to view anywhere in the internet?)
SageTV Client (for pc to view only on LAN?)
Exactly, Normally you will use SageTVClient on a client PC (that doesn't have tuner cards) on the LAN to watch SageTV. SageTVClient was the original client offered by Sage.

Then, they came out with the Placeshifter client. It is designed to let you watch Sage over the internet. It can be used in the LAN, but it doesn't have as many features as SageTVClient. Stuff like decoder preferences, and remote control usage is not in the placeshifter client. It is mainly for internet usage, as in SHIFTING the PLACE that you watch SageTV from. So, what that means is if you had a laptop with Placeshifter installed, you could use it over the internet, or on the LAN when home with it, but witout all the features of the SageTVClient.

So, basically, use the SageTVClient on all client computers in the LAN, and use Placeshifter on computers that will watch Sage over the internet.

Quote:
added tuners on another pc require sageTV (modified selection)?
Right, if you ran out of space on your server and needed to add more tuners to your system, you'd have to install the tuners into another computer. That computer would need SageTV (full version, not the SageTVClient) and be set up as a network encoding server. DOn't do this unless absolutely neccessary.

Last edited by ke6guj; 12-25-2006 at 05:00 PM.
Old 12-25-2006, 05:13 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks,
That helps.
Will I eventually be able to modify menus and assign
my own menus to mediamvp IR keys?
Thanks,
Ray
Old 12-25-2006, 05:22 PM
Sage Icon

I don't know how much reassigning of the remote keys for the MVP can be done. However, you can run just about any modified menu system, User Interface, on the MVP that you can run on the main Sage server, or SageTVClient. The MVP gets it UI from the main server, so the modified UI would have to be installed on the server so it could send it to the MVP.

Old 12-25-2006, 06:52 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks,
Ray