SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 12-24-2006, 12:59 PM
Sage Advanced User

sage tv server v6 upgrade question

Hi, I've owned the server for ages now... upgraded 2 to 3 to 4 to 5 etc etc.
At v5, I also got 2 MVP licenses... one about 1 year ago, and 1 just last week.

Today I convinced my sister to buy me th v6 upgrade key for xmas. yaaa!

i have 2 questions...

1) I just am now wondering what about my 2 mvp keys... surely I dont need to upgrade those?

2) Also, what is the best upgrade option? remove v5 and fresh install of v6, or just install v6 over top of 5 (true upgrade).
XP Pro SP2, P4 2.6 ghz, 1GB RAM, 2 X 80GB seagate serial ATA barracuda HDDs,2 X 160 GB samsung silent parallel ATA HDDs, antec sonata v1.1, msi gforce 6600gt vivo, hpage pvr150, sagetv v5, harmony remote, hauppauge media mvp, USB UIRT, Bell Expressvu
Old 12-24-2006, 01:24 PM
Sage Icon

1, No, don't need to upgrade any keys for MVP extender, placeshifter, or SageTVClient, only the full SageTV program needs an upgrade key.

2. Either way will work. I normally just install over the top. I do make a backup of my Sage folder before hand just for insurance.

However, doing a clean install every once in a while is nice to do. Just put your old wiz.bin into the new install and all your recordings and favorites should be retained. Gets rid of any old stv imports that you may not be using anymore. One thing to keep in mind, back in V2, Sage was default installed in program files/frey industries folder. Later on it defaulted to program files/sagetv. If you do a clean install but reuse your old .properties files, they may have pointers to the old folder. Either edit all the links to the new folder, or better yet, create new .properties files so there is not old junk in them either.

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.

Last edited by ke6guj; 12-24-2006 at 01:27 PM.