SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 12-24-2006, 09:44 PM
Sage Advanced User

Video Stutter with v6

I know this has been discussed many times, however I've searched the threads and haven't come up with a solution to my particular situation.

When set for VMR9, FSE, 3D acceleration and using the Nvidia video decoder, I get video stutter that I don't recall getting when using v5. The Nvidia Purevideo is v1.02-223, and its properties are set for hardware acceleration, prefer VMR9 and deinterlace control set for "smart". Currently, the only cure to prevent the stutter is to change both Sage and Purevideo to overlay, and the video is fine.

I'm using the latest version of DirectX. My video card is BFG Nvidia GeForce 7900GT w/256mb and the driver is 93.71. Processor is Intel Core2 Duo E6400 with 2GB DDR2.

Any thoughts as to why I'm getting video stutter with VMR9 and not when set to overlay, would be appreciated.

To further complicate things, I saw a post on a thread that was describing a somewhat similar situation. The poster said upon changing the properties line in his client logging_flush_each_entry=true, to a value of false, solved his issues. I tried it on my setup, and found that when watching a football game on Fox, in 720p, removed the stutter, but when I switched to a CBS football game, which is 1080i, the stutter was still there, although slightly improved as compared to before making the properties value change.

Thanks
Old 12-24-2006, 10:17 PM
Sage Aficionado

I had stuttering problems with the Smart deinterlacing setting on my 7800GS. Reverting to Automatic fixed it.
Old 12-25-2006, 08:39 AM
Sage Aficionado

Is this stuttering on HD or SD. For me it only stutters on HD, and the fix is simple. Exit SageTv and restart it, all better. There's a bug with VMR9 and FSE somewhere. If Sage ever drops FSE it will never pick it back up. I set the property for it to not release FSE, but it still drops is sometimes.

I've given up on filing bug reports, Sage does not care about this problem. I say that because they knew of this problem with V6 and did NOTHING to work with us that had it to fix it. No replies, no suggestions, nothing. That tells me they wanted V6 out the door now regardless of the bug, and they'll fix it later.

There is the work a round I found of exiting the program, but that's all I've found. On SD stuttering was usually causes by a wrong choice in the purevideo decoder. For me smarter works and automatic doesn't.

Last edited by cummings66; 12-25-2006 at 08:46 AM.
Old 12-25-2006, 08:46 AM
Sage Advanced User

The stutter is in HD. I'll try playing with it some more a little bit later today.
Old 12-25-2006, 10:00 AM
Sage Advanced User

I've tried both suggestions, to no avail. Awaiting any other tips.

Thanks
Old 12-25-2006, 02:14 PM
Sage User

This stuttering occurs with 5.04 as well. I've always been able to reproduce it even on a clean system that had all the codecs reset and re-registered to be the same as a fresh OS install with only Purevideo installed and SageTV client.

It stops stuttering after I revert back to SageTV client's MPEG decoder.
Old 12-25-2006, 05:37 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hocky98
This stuttering occurs with 5.04 as well. I've always been able to reproduce it even on a clean system that had all the codecs reset and re-registered to be the same as a fresh OS install with only Purevideo installed and SageTV client.

It stops stuttering after I revert back to SageTV client's MPEG decoder.
I have found slight stuttering when using the Sage MPEG decoder. Purevideo is clearly a much better decoder. I only wish that it could coexist with VMR9 and FSE. As I mentioned in my initial post, in order to use Purevideo stutter free, I need to use overlay and have FSE disabled. Hopefully Sage will put this on their priority list of things to fix.
Old 12-25-2006, 07:37 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via ICQ to Motofreak75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron

I'm using the latest version of DirectX. My video card is BFG Nvidia GeForce 7900GT w/256mb and the driver is 93.71. Processor is Intel Core2 Duo E6400 with 2GB DDR2.
I had studdering issues with my 7300GS card aswell with 93.71 (it broke a lot of things) And I returned back to 92.91 and all my HD programs are studder free with FSE turned off.

X2 4200 w/1 gig of ram server FSE off.

My client had the very same issues and went back to 92.91 aswell. you can get it from Nvidia's ftp site ftp://download.nvidia.com/Windows/92...glish_beta.exe
Old 12-25-2006, 09:38 PM
Sage Advanced User

I have a 7800GT card coming in on Tuesday becuase of my stuttering/tearing issues with Sage as well, I was hoping this would fix the problem.

I use the Nvida Pure Video and am able to run in the following mode.

FSE Enabled
VMR9 Enabled
3D accel on

Using default decoder "this in turn uses the Purevideo decoder as it has been set as default in windows xp" I don't use the Nvidia decoder setting in advanced under setup as this does not actually use the Nvidia Pure correctly.

I will be trying the new card tommarow for SD TV and if it does not solve the problem I will downgrade the drivers and let you know what I find.

Thanks for the information MotoFreak
Old 12-25-2006, 10:35 PM
Sage User

Glad someone brought this up. I just built a system with a 7600gt and Im also experiencing stutter. Im running on smart, I'll set to automatic, to see if it fixes the problemm..

I use 93.71 drivers, so Ill revert to earlier drivers to see what that does..

Last edited by carmat3; 12-25-2006 at 10:41 PM.
Old 12-25-2006, 10:48 PM
Sage Aficionado

There is also a check box in the nVidia Control Panel for Inverse Telecine. Don't know if this has any effect when using PureVideo, but it's under:

nVidia Control Panel -> Video & Television -> Adjust Video and Color Settings -> Enhancements
Old 12-26-2006, 05:10 AM
Sage Advanced User

Not sure if this is relevent to this issue, and I do not mean to hijack the thread, but I am having a similar issue that seems to affect ABC broadcasts ONLY. I do not know which networks use 1080 vs 720, but that may have somethng to do with my problem. The problem I am having could be classified as a "stutter", but I find it to be more of a "surging" because it is cyclical, rather than random. I am trying to figure out if there is some service or other such program running in the background that may be causing the system to slow down in this pattern but I can not find anything (I have no anti-virus software running, and system restore is turned off on my DVR drive)

By the way, I only recently realized that fooling around with the AUDIO renderer settings and AUDIO decoder / filter settings directly affects video playback smoothness (at least in my system). Case in point: the ABC stuttering can be eliminated if I use the AC3 filter, but it comes right back if I use the NVIDIA filter. Unfortunately the NVIDIA filter is the only one that gives me true S/PDIF Passthrough to my Creative Audigy 2 (where all my 5.1 and Pro-Logic decoding is done - I have no HT receiver). So, for now, I have to revert to plain ol' stereo sound if I want to watch smooth HD from ABC. I would experiment with different audio renderers and decoders / filters if I were you.

I just loaded V6 and have to decide if I am going to pay for it (I have a V4 key code). So far, I am not terribly impressed with the "upgrade", as it has added few truly useful features for me, and it seems to solve none of the playback issues (as far as HDTV is concerned). Also, I sometimes can not put Sage to sleep in V6 and I have to use Windows task manager to get the UI to close, which is not pretty since I use FSE. I am hoping that I do not have to re-load my OS to get this box running correctly again, but I am beginning to think this may be my only option.

If anyone cares (or if it helps), here's what I am using:

MSI motherboard with Intel 945 chipset
Intel P4 CPU @ 3.0GHz with HT (800MHz FSB)
1GB Dual-channel DDR2 RAM
MSI 7600GT video (256MB)
Creative Audigy 2 audio
Realtek HD audio (on-board - for stereo playback in another area of my home)
Avermedia A180 HT tuner (ATSC)
Happauge PVR-MCE500 (NTSC)
WinXP Pro SP2
TheaterTek (for DVD playback)
SageTV V6 (for now)

Last edited by pgman; 12-26-2006 at 05:19 AM.
Old 12-26-2006, 08:07 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgman
I do not know which networks use 1080 vs 720, but that may have somethng to do with my problem.
ABC = 720p
FOX = 720p
CBS = 1080i
NBC = 1080i
PBS = 1080i

I'm surprised you guys are having issues with Nvidia 93.71. Its been flawless here, coupled with the latest PureVideo release, I have no stutter with VMR9/FSE/3D and I manually set Nvidia decoder in the decoder prefs inside detailed setup.

I think your stuttering issues are more of a setup thing than anything else. I dont use Nvidia for audio though, I use the full version of AC3filter (v1.11) and pass thru DD and DTS to my sound card.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:47 AM
Sage Aficionado

No, it's not a setup issue. V5 was 100% stutter free for me, V6 has stuttered from the get go and tech support will not acknowledge the problem, even though I know several beta testers reported it.

Like me, they had no problems with V5, lots of problems with V6.

Trust me, V6 has problems yet to be solved. It was not ready for release.

I'm using an Nvidia 6600Gt card and it's fine for any resolution under V5, not V6. However, as I said I can restart SageTV and it plays fine. The problem only occurs when SageTV loses focus and drops FSE, from that point on it will stutter until I exit and restart.

Changing audio decoders does not affect my stutter.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:49 AM
Sage Icon

Well thats all well and good, but doesnt explain how someone (me and certainly many others) are running V6 and have absolutely no stutter issues. Had no stutter from any of the beta builds either.
Old 12-26-2006, 12:11 PM
SageTVaholic

I have stuttering in v6 where there wasn't any under v5.

While it's good that v6 doesn't stutter for everyone's setups out there, it's tiresome to read claims that everything in v6 is fine and dandy just because a particular setup isn't suffering from v6 stuttering.

Please just be happy that it works for you, and please stop trying to make other people's problems go away just because you don't suffer from them. Please.
Old 12-26-2006, 12:14 PM
Sage Icon

Lets not turn this into a personal attack session on me. I was simply stating a fact that its not a overall "V6 stutters" deal. I try and help where I can, but the post I was replying to made it sound as if nobody running V6 is stutter free. And thats not the case. Why? Who knows. Is it a Sage issue? Maybe. Maybe not.

So please stop insinuating that I am trying to cover something up.
Old 12-26-2006, 12:21 PM
Sage Advanced User

I think what would help here immensly is some input from SageTV personna on this issue.

This is one of the reason that MCE is sold only to OEM's as it can be quite difficult getting the right mix of drivers and components together for a good experience. I know this was the case with MCE, it took me 3 months to get a combination stable enough to install in a clients home.

Sage V6 overall is pretty damned sweet, it has been stable for me, more so that 5.0, I just need to get to the bottom of the stuttering/tearing issues.

My personal feelings is that it is a DirectX, nvidia drivers, fse problem.

If all of you not having problems could post your video chain specs I think this would be extremely helpful. For example.

Video Card Model and Ram
Nvidia Driver version
Purevideo version and settings
DirectX Version
Settings in Sage for Video and DVD playback.

This way we can compare at least the video chain to see what combos are trouble free.

Old 12-26-2006, 12:31 PM
SageTVaholic

I was having issues in Sage 6 with Sage playback until I turned off the auto disable of FSE when Sage loses focus. It was found in the client properties file.

Now everything is good.

7600GT or 6600
Nvidia PureVideo
FSE
VMR 9
DirectX 9
XP MCE 2005
SageMC for STV
Java 1.6

I have this config running on 2 machines each different procs
Old 12-26-2006, 12:38 PM
Sage User

Where can I download version 5.0 or earlier?

thanks