SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 11-01-2007, 08:39 PM
Sage Aficionado

SpiffyRex,
Thank you for the detailed response. I REALLY appreciate it. I didn't think anyone would respond.

Quote:
You don't need a RAID configuration but should format your recording drive using 64K blocks NTFS. My system has an old 80GB ide drive for XP (formatted using the default block size) and a 500GB SATA (64K block size) for recording and storing movies.
I re-formatted all my drives a couple of months ago. Before that, in the RAID configuration, it was 64K. Now, I can't remember if I re-formatted to 64k. Do you happen to know of a way to check without re-formatting?

Quote:
Does your 8600GT card supports HDCP? If so make sure you are using the latest ForceWare drivers to activate the hardware decoding.
http://www.evga.com/products/moreinf...1-AR&family=19
This is a link to the card I have. I don't have the greatest knowledge of how video works, but I try. I'm pretty sure it supports hardware acceleration, but I don't know how to turn it on. The drivers I am using currently are 6.14.11.6218 (6/29/07). I don't know if this is the Forceware driver or not.

Quote:
Are you having problems playing mpeg-2 SD, mpeg-2 HD, or h.264 video sources? For example, the video from your HDHomerun is mpeg-2 HD if you are tuning to digital stations. If you have a satellite receiver with the r5000hd mod and you tune to one of the HD channels, chances are you will get h.264 video.
Funny thing about the HDHomerun. When I first got it, I followed the instructions and got it working pretty good. Then I got one of the update popups from Silicon Dust saying there was a new version of Firmware out. I updated it and could never get it to work right since. I've talked with Silicon Dust and they checked my log and said they couldn't find any problems. I still don't think it was the firmware update, but it's pretty ironic that I didn't work well after that. I try to get it working once in a while and all I get is a pixelated mess. Unwatchable. It's upstairs collecting dust. I also figured that since just standard fast moving pictures are so bad, adding HD in there is absolutely not going to work. I don't even want to add SageMC in there. One thing at a time. By the way, what is the r5000hd mod?

Quote:
Finally, make sure your Sage configuration is using VMR9, DirectShow mpeg4 playback, FSE mode, 3D acceleration, and you have the latest version of SageTV 6.2.10.
I tried all these settings you mentioned not only does Sage lock up on me, but the whole system. I restarted Sage and it's back up and so far doesn't seem to studder as much as I am watching a hockey game. It is still hard to watch during fast movement, It looks blurry and streaky. I should mention that I started using service mode again. If that has anything to do with anything. I'll download 6.2.10 tonight. I'm using 6.2.8.150 now.

Update: I am trying to change channels again and it's frozen up. It's almost like it's bogged down. I'm trying to get the Task Manager up and that's slow moving as well. It seems like with these settings the system is on overload. Well, it worked for a minute.

Quote:
If your system still can't record/playback mpeg-2, it's time to turn debugging on and see what SageTV is doing. Let us know if you need help configuring all these settings or turning debugging on.
I think I'm ok on the settings except for the video card itself. I can turn debugging on, did you want to see that?

Thanks again for your help. It's GREATLY APPRECIATED!!
Dana
Software - Win7 64 bit, SageTV 7.1.9, Java v6, HD100 firmware v20100212-0, HD200 firmware 20100909 0

Last edited by pvr599; 11-01-2007 at 08:51 PM.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvr599 View Post
I re-formatted all my drives a couple of months ago. Before that, in the RAID configuration, it was 64K. Now, I can't remember if I re-formatted to 64k. Do you happen to know of a way to check without re-formatting?
You should be able to run chkdsk in a Command Prompt window & it will report the # of bytes in each allocation unit.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:33 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks Andy,
My recording directories are 64k
Dana

Update: I can definitely see an improvement in PQ, but Sage locks up on everything I try to do. Hopefully this means something and it can be fixed. Thanks

Update 2: I had to change my settings back to Overlay & no-FSE. The freeze up's are terrible. I did update to 6.2.10. The PQ is good, but even non-fast moving shows are studdering now. Is this getting worse or is it just me.
Software - Win7 64 bit, SageTV 7.1.9, Java v6, HD100 firmware v20100212-0, HD200 firmware 20100909 0

Last edited by pvr599; 11-02-2007 at 11:33 AM.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:12 PM
Sage User

Oh, I assumed your problem was mostly with h.264 playback, but looking at your hardware all your video sources are mpeg-2 SD and HD. The reason why most people upgrade to a 8600GT is for h.264 hardware decoding which is not available in the 7xxx family. What were you using before? You might not need to upgrade right now. I would return the card if possible since it doesn't support HDCP (just checked the manufacture website). That's not a big deal for you right now since you only record mpeg-2 but will have to upgrade in the future is you decide to get an HD digital video source. That's basically what the r5000hd mod to a dish network or cable box is all about. You get a usb port and software to pull the v/a stream to you system. It's one of the few h.264 sources that I'm aware of, at least in the USA.

From your latest comments it seems that you have a device driver and/or codec problem. Forceware is the marketing name for the 6/7/8 family of Nvidia cards drivers. You should upgrade yours to the latest level unless you decide to return the video card. I would also remove and reinstall the PureVideo decoder package. Do you have a license? Some people install it and forget to get a license since they can use them for 90 days, but then they stop working, you can still playback video but without hardware acceleration. What's your CPU usage during playback?
Is there a reason for using JRE v1.6.0_02 instead of v1.4.2_13? Don't think there's a problem with that but I usually like to keep the same version that comes with SageMC since I assume that's what they used for testing. New JVMs might have side effects... But this is just speculation.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:41 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiffyRex View Post
XP, P4 3GHz single core, 7600GT, Intervideo video decoders from WinDVD8. Stutter free on mpeg-2 HD (< 15% CPU utilization) and h.264 (80% CPU utilization). Yes, that's pushing it for h.264 but it's working.
I am really curious how Sage will work with my new 8600GTS. By the way, does anyone know the difference between the GT and GTS cards?

Last edited by pgman; 11-06-2007 at 06:46 AM.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:09 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgman View Post
By the way, does anyone know the difference between the GT and GTS cards?
I think it's the "S".
unRAID Server: Intel Core i5 7600K, 48GB DDR4, 2x512GB PCIe M.2 Cache Pool, 2x10TB SATA3 Parity Drive, 3x8TB SATA Array, 1x hdHomeRun DVB-T2 Quattro, IPTV via xTeVe, unRAID 6.8.3, tvHeadEnd for recording back end, Emby
Clients: 3 Nvidia Shields, 3 FireTV, 3 Win10 Pro PC Clients
Old 11-06-2007, 08:46 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiffyRex View Post
Is there a reason for using JRE v1.6.0_02 instead of v1.4.2_13? Don't think there's a problem with that but I usually like to keep the same version that comes with SageMC since I assume that's what they used for testing. New JVMs might have side effects... But this is just speculation.
1.6 has MUCH faster response for me. Wouldn't use my MVP without it. On a regular client the difference might not be as noticeable.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:21 AM
Sage Aficionado

Spiffyrex,
Sorry for being stupid, but I though h.264 was HD. I was using the onboard video before with a SD TV. I bought the plasma and thought I needed to upgrade my video card to get better performance with both SD and HD. I tried to get my HDhomerun to work, but couldn't. I wish I could at least get local HD's thought Sage.

I can't return the video card. Damn, I thought that was a great card.

I do have a license for the Purevideo decoder and it is there.

The CPU usage is around 50% right now, but I don't ever remember seeing it that high before. I remember seeing it between 15 & 25.

So you think I should downgrade Java?

Thanks again for all your help with this. You know it's kind of embarrassing that you tell someone about your cool, unique setup and someone comes over to watch a hockey game and it's studdering so bad that you can't watch it.
Dana

Edit:
Quote:
That's not a big deal for you right now since you only record mpeg-2 but will have to upgrade in the future is you decide to get an HD digital video source.
I would LOVE to get HD. Like I said above, I have the Homerun and can't use it. It's very block and brings Sage to it's knees during playback.

Quote:
hat's basically what the r5000hd mod to a dish network or cable box is all about. You get a usb port and software to pull the v/a stream to you system. It's one of the few h.264 sources that I'm aware of, at least in the USA.
Is this a suggestion for me to look into?

Last edited by pvr599; 11-12-2007 at 01:35 AM.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:55 AM
Sage Aficionado

I did want to add something to this. I have an MVP upstairs in the bedroom and it plays back perfect. Including hockey games (fast motion).
Does that mean anything?

thanks,
Dana

Well, I deinstalled and reinstalled the latest NVIDA drivers and Purevideo to no avail. I'm watching Volleyball and it's just so incredibly jerky it's tough to watch. Why would the MVP work great and not the server itself. I just don't get it. It's so frustrating.

Another EDIT:
Here is another thing I noticed. I have been switching around the aspect ratio and I noticed that when I switch from any ratio to anything else the jerkyness stops for a while then comes back. I switch again and the same thing happens. I'm just trying to add as much detail as I can so maybe someone can think of something.

Also, would a different video card help? If so, any suggestions?

thanks again.

Last edited by pvr599; 11-14-2007 at 01:19 PM.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:19 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgman
By the way, does anyone know the difference between the GT and GTS cards?

I think it's the "S".
Very funny, and also true if you are only using the cads for video playback. For gaming it will be a different story. What does make a difference is the type of memory. Some GTs have GDDR3, I think all GTS do.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:02 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Sorry for being stupid, but I though h.264 was HD. I was using the on-board video before with a SD TV. I bought the plasma and thought I needed to upgrade my video card to get better performance with both SD and HD. I tried to get my HDhomerun to work, but couldn't. I wish I could at least get local HD's thought Sage.
Nothing stupid, you shouldn't need to be an computer or A/V distribution expert to enjoy SageTV. Unfortunately the current state of video drivers, decoders, etc forces us to get an education. Anyways, h.264 is HD depending on the resolution used. You don't need to worry about it since your sources are mpeg2 SD and HD. It's good that you got a video card b/s you want to connect to your TV thru the DVI output. If you use the VGA connector from your motherboard the embedded video will convert the digital video signal to analog and then your TV will have to converted it back to digital since your have a plasma TV. That's not the case with CRT TV's since they are analog by nature.

Quote:
I can't return the video card. Damn, I thought that was a great card.
It's a good video card but geared more toward gaming. The only thing you are missing is hardware h.264 decoding and you don't need to worry about it right now.

Quote:
The CPU usage is around 50% right now, but I don't ever remember seeing it that high before. I remember seeing it between 15 & 25.
That's right, you have a video playback problem. Your CPU should hover around 15% utilization or less.

Quote:
So you think I should downgrade Java?
Well, some people claim faster performance but I go with whatever was used during the testing cycle. Sometimes just reinstalling the JVM fixes or changes configuration settings that affect performance (for better or for worse) but I don't think that's your problem.
Quote:

Quote:
That's basically what the r5000hd mod to a dish network or cable box is all about. You get a usb port and software to pull the v/a stream to you system. It's one of the few h.264 sources that I'm aware of, at least in the USA.
Is this a suggestion for me to look into?
Well, you will have to fork about $600 and marry Dish network. You will still have the same or worse video playback in your server, but get the best digital recordings available for home use.

Quote:
I did want to add something to this. I have an MVP upstairs in the bedroom and it plays back perfect. Including hockey games (fast motion).
Does that mean anything?
Absolutely. You just have a video playback problem in your server, since the MVP offloads video playback it kind of hides the playback problem.

Quote:
Also, would a different video card help? If so, any suggestions?
I would do the following:
1.) Double check that you have the very latest video drivers, something close to 163.75.
2.) Remove Purevideo. Optional step.
3.) Go to http://www.cyberlink.com/multi/downl...als_1_ENU.html
and download/install the trial version of PowerDVD.
4.) Reconfigure SageTV to use Cyberlink's mpeg2 video decoder.
5.) Play something.

If this works with <= 15% CPU utilization, then the problem is that somehow Purevideo is failing to activate the mpeg2 hardware decoding in your video card. You shouldn't have to buy PowerDVD just to fix the video playback though. Don't know if Purevideo was meant to be used with the Geforce 8 series but it should at least activate hardware decoding. I know it works great with the 7 series. Make sure you are using the latest version and if so ask Nvidia to fix it.

OR

1.) Get an HD media extender!
2.) Be happy ever after.

Seriously, not a bad option if you are willing to spend $200 bucks *and* have the network throughput to support your existing MVP and the HD extender. Then your server only needs to handle recording and streaming which is not too taxing as long as your sources are mpeg2.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:54 PM
Sage User

Studdering usined VMR9 fixed for me

After having several studder playback problems of using VMR9 with HDTV of any kind and messing with several video decoders the problem in Sage's 6 version is simple. All I had to do is switch to Full Screen Exclusive mode. Now I have even tweaked my video card settings to it's highest quality settings without a problem with playback. Make sure after you adjust the Full screen exclusive setting, then close Sage out completely (not sleep or minimize), restart SageTV and you should be golden. Hope it helps!

Last edited by Bucsfan2008; 01-18-2008 at 09:09 PM.