SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 12-27-2006, 04:23 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enormous
Just wanted to say thanks for this! I was just thinking yesterday how cool it would be to have something just like this! Great work, and I can't wait to load it up!
Just remember that this is what I would consider early beta code because nobody but me has seen it and it has not had as much testing as I would have liked. I've already found a bug myself that I will be fixing as well as adding alot of good suggestions posted above.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:49 AM
Sage Aficionado

Two bugs found so far, did not have much time to test:

Videoredo has problems finding the right mpg file, maybe because I tell Showanalyzer not to include the absolute path into the Videoredo file.
Maybe you can set the working directory to the video folder before starting Videoredo?

Videoredo creates a .new file in output folder and tries to rename this to .new.mpg, but this renaming didn't work, I got an error message (I forgot the exact one, sorry)

I like this beta, keep up the good work!
Oliver

Using SageTV 7.1.9, Java 1.6.0_24 Win7 Home Premium on an
Asus M4N78-AM Mainboard, AMD Athlon II X2 215, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, 2xTechnoTrend S-2400 as Network Encoder (LM DVB Smart Recorder), ATI Radeon HD 3450 with analog TV-Out on good old CRT TV (100Hz)
My avatar shows the world's best composer!!!
Old 12-28-2006, 08:06 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by owilsky
Two bugs found so far, did not have much time to test:

Videoredo has problems finding the right mpg file, maybe because I tell Showanalyzer not to include the absolute path into the Videoredo file.
Maybe you can set the working directory to the video folder before starting Videoredo?
Correct. It needs the absolute path. Try saving the edits with only VideoReDo selected on the "Save Cuts" menu. That will rewrite the Vprj file with the absolute path in it. I will update the documentation to include this tip. I will see if adding the video directory as the working directory to the ExecProcess call in Sage will have any affect on this as well. Otherwise I will have to go to an alternate plan and create a "Sage-VideoReDo.Vprj" file immediately before I call VideoReDo with the relevant info in it. I almost did this but I had decided to put a note in the documentation about absolute paths instead I just forgot it - opps.

Quote:
Videoredo creates a .new file in output folder and tries to rename this to .new.mpg, but this renaming didn't work, I got an error message (I forgot the exact one, sorry)

I like this beta, keep up the good work!
Oliver
Will see if I can reproduce this as I thought I had eliminated this problem. At one time I was generating files without a file extension and then just adding the .mpg to the output. I switched to using .new because I thought that would be a little more user friendly and I thought I had gotten rid of all of the code that just appends .mpg to the name without removing the .new first. If you can recreate this easily then turn on debug logging in Sage and then post the all the lines that start with ">>>" for me. It might help me in determining where the problem is.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:17 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhoenix
Just clear all your cut points and save to a Vprj file only then submit it like any other job. Doing that you get the same thing as a quick stream fix.

edit: If you try this and it doesn't work let me know as in theory it should work that way but I can add in a separate option for this in a future version.
I can already say that this idea will not work if you have beginning and ending padding on the recording. Doing it this way will put all the padding time at the begining of the video. Probably not what is wanted. So I will be adding an option that will do the QuickStreamFix option in the next version which should be out by the weekend.

BobP.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:55 PM
SageTVaholic

WOW! Nice work! I can't wait to try this out

Having a problem? Don't forget to include a log! (Instructions for: PlayOn For SageTV v1.5, MediaShrink)
Old 12-28-2006, 07:01 PM
Sage Advanced User

First of all thanks for this great plugin!

Quote:
The only thing you see is the tool tip above and a system tray icon - nothing else. Sorry I can't get rid of this tool tip - it just isn't possible.
Well, actually this is possible although a bit tricky:

Start regedit.exe.
Go to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced
Create a new DWORD value called EnableBalloonTips.
Give it a decimal value of 0 (zero)
Click OK.
Close regedit.

You need to logout and login again to activate the new settings.

SV
Old 12-28-2006, 07:02 PM
SageTVaholic

Bob,

I just tried this and it works really well. I love the fact that I can cut out the commercials and then replace the original Sage file with the edited version.

Three small suggestions:

1 - Assuming I'm using a client I'd like to be able to press and hold the Frm+ control and have the video constantly progress. This will make it easier to get more precise cuts.

2 - I'd like to see a Frm- control to go backwards frame by frame.

3 - I'd like an option to delete the original recording.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:05 PM
Sage Aficionado

Bob,

I had today off, and had a chance to play around with the plugin quite a bit. I must say that this thing really rocks!

I also took the opportunity to install the "DirMon2 + ShowAnalyzer + ComSkip Plugin" and was able to get ShowAnalyzer to mark commercials very, very accurately. Throttling down the CPU usage let me nicely record, watch TV, and background-process the unprocessed recording files (about 40 of them) without a stutter. But I digress.

What makes this whole thing so amazing is that your Video Editor plugin now rounds out the whole package. It lets me tweak those shows that may have had incorrect commercial marks (and interestingly, I only had 2 shows with bogus marks out of about 40, and they were completely explainable.) From there, I can just re-save the EDL files, and all is well. And then from there, I can watch the shows commercial-free, "shrink" the shows using VideoReDo, burn the shows with the EDL-aware DVD Burn plugin, or just waste lots of time playing with the editor!

Anyway, I've only had about a day to play with this, and in reality, I suspect that I'll probably not use it that often to actually "convert" or "re-write" the video files. Likely, I'll use it more often to tweak EDL files for use with the DVD Burn plugin. This is so invaluable!

But the most impressive thing about this powerful to me is that it can be used effortlessly from within the SageTV UI with a remote. Creating precision cuts really isn't that difficult!

I am continually amazed and pleased by the truly innovative add-ons that developers are creating on the already solid base of SageTV.

Oh, and by the way, I haven't found any "bugs" yet (and I'm defining bugs as "errors" or "problems" as opposed to the several "usability" issues I detailed earlier.)

HTPC: AMD ASUS M2N-E Socket AM2 Motherboard; Athlon 64 3200+ Orleans 2.0GHz; 2GB RAM; eVGA 256MB Geforce 7300LE; 1x40GB IDE HDD (OS), 2xSeagate Barracuda 320GB SATA HDD (Recordings); Antec Overture II Case; Windows XP Pro SP2; SageTV v6.5
STV: SageMC
Video sources: Currently, none. I'm using SageTV for Music, Photos, and Video playback.

Last edited by jbarr; 12-28-2006 at 09:08 PM.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:36 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by svalmorri
First of all thanks for this great plugin!

Well, actually this is possible although a bit tricky:

Start regedit.exe.
Go to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced
Create a new DWORD value called EnableBalloonTips.
Give it a decimal value of 0 (zero)
Click OK.
Close regedit.

You need to logout and login again to activate the new settings.

SV
Thanks for this tip. This is not something that I will put into the plugin however for safeties sake however. I just don't think I should be writing to a users registry.

BobP.

Last edited by BobPhoenix; 12-29-2006 at 08:49 AM.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:52 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda
Bob,

I just tried this and it works really well. I love the fact that I can cut out the commercials and then replace the original Sage file with the edited version.

Three small suggestions:

1 - Assuming I'm using a client I'd like to be able to press and hold the Frm+ control and have the video constantly progress. This will make it easier to get more precise cuts.
What you are asking for here may be possible but I need to explain the Frame Advance(Frm+) command a little bit. In reality it is just the pause command in SageTV and you can achieve the same thing in the regular media player screen just by pressing the pause button on your remote. I can try to add some timing delays to this to see if that will help but I'm not really expecting it to work too well - will see however.

Quote:
2 - I'd like to see a Frm- control to go backwards frame by frame.
Since I just use the Sage pause command for Frame Advance and there is no equivalent to a reverse frame advance it probably will not happen. It's a pain but that is one of the reasons I created the 1 second skip commands. If you go too far just skip back a whole second and try again. Keep doing this until you get it correct. Note if you really need this precise a control I think you would be better off with VideoReDo's native mode that give you the extra control I think you might need.

Quote:
3 - I'd like an option to delete the original recording.
If you are refering to the .OLD files that are created I am working on an immediate delete for the next version. However the files are deleted now whenever you exit the SageTV GUI. Maybe you can explain what you mean a little more if this still doesn't answer your question.

BobP.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:00 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarr
But the most impressive thing about this powerful to me is that it can be used effortlessly from within the SageTV UI with a remote. Creating precision cuts really isn't that difficult!

I am continually amazed and pleased by the truly innovative add-ons that developers are creating on the already solid base of SageTV.

Oh, and by the way, I haven't found any "bugs" yet (and I'm defining bugs as "errors" or "problems" as opposed to the several "usability" issues I detailed earlier.)
Thank you. That was my goal since the Native interface to VideoReDo is more accurate and easier to use on an actual PC. There are a couple of bugs that I've found and a couple that owilsky has reported that I am working on. Hoping to have a new version out this weekend because I really want this working on the MVP with the alternate skip method and right now it doesn't. I think that may be one of the most useful features if I can get it working better.

BobP.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:55 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChePazzo
Do the remote control commands work from the MVP?
They do - but did you have a specific remote command in mind because I tried to get them all from the regular media player screen but I could have missed some.
Nothing in particular, just curious. I can't imagine that I'd muck with this from the MVP anyway, but it's good to know that it works!

The only non-obvious remote button that I know is the yellow button at the bottom simulates a right mouse click.

Very impressive work on this!

-Mike
Old 12-29-2006, 07:55 PM
Sage Aficionado

Well done.

Congrats on version 0.1 Bob. The editor is amazingly good. You should be very, very pleased. I particularly like your idea of having only one type of cut point. This simplifies the editing process incredibly compared to other solutions I've used in the past.

I sat down yesterday, fired up the import and edited about 40 hours of video making some notes as I went; Below are my initial impressions. I've since found workarounds or have modified my behavior but have listed these anyway;
  • Stop button dumps changes. Somewhat annoying. Does this serve a purpose? Could this be changed so that it doesn't dump you out of your editing session? Maybe it could take you to the save screen.

• It would be nice to add a send to option on recorded shows. Possibly also on imported videos. Ideally for me this would go directly to the fullscreen mode of the editor and exit back to the properties of the show it was launched from. I'm not used to accessing shows by their category and I found it a bit difficult to locate and work on a group of recordings.

• When keeping the imported markers there is always one that is beyond the means of the editor to reach and it can't be removed

*I've since worked out that this doesn't matter. Just confusing for me at first*

• To delete a cut you need to be exactly on top of it. Would it be possible to make this edit the nearest cut point so that you don't need to pause (not stop whatever you do ) playback to remove it? A highlight for closest cut may help ppl to understand what they are doing if implementing this.

• After playing with the tool a bit I've found that I often just want to move a cutpoint a bit. Could an option to move the nearest edit point to the current position be added? When selecting the new Move Cut option the nearest marker would be removed and a new one added at the current position. Another way to implement this might be to have a "move previous cut" and "move next cut" option that would delete the corresponding (prev or next) cut and create a new one at the current time.

• Are there keys for each action such as start, end, clear all etc? I'd consider swapping back to girder if necessary for full control of this via the remote.

• So far as I can see I will always want to save the same type of cut files (edl and VideoReDo). Would it be possible to default to the same selections as on the previous save so that I don't have to keep re-selecting VideoReDo?

• If I go to the end point of a video while playing or attempt to start playing from the end point, video stops working and all that is seen is the single frame of video that was displayed before attempting to play from the end. Audio continues to work correctly. Toggling fullscreen mode doesn't restore the video. The only way that I have found to restore video is to reload the file. *I've since found that this was only happening on one machine and only when I was using the Nvidia decoder. It's now working nicely*

• I don't use the left as back option in SAGE yet when in the video editing screen accidentally selecting the left key takes me back to the main menu. This doesn't happen in any other utility or screen that I've noticed. It's a little bothersome as it's possible to accidentally lose the edits that you have set (much like accidentally selecting stop).

• In fullscreen mode (which I like very much) it's not possible to see where the cutpoints are as there is no cutlist displayed. Would it be possible to indicate cutpoints on the timeline in some way (Hmm... I guess this is only relevant at the end of the file).

• When editing in fullscreen mode it's particularly easy to forget to enter the final cut point at the end of the file. When you're looking at the timeline everything appears to be correct. From my initial playing it seems that when you save any unmatched start/stop pairs are removed. Would it be possible to automagically generate a matching stop cut point at the end of the file, if edits are saved and the last cut point is a start?

• If you are currently processing the video redo queue the ability to save a .vprj file is removed. Is there a reason for this? I tend to sit down for a big session of editing every now and then and would like to continue working while processing is occurring. I haven't looked into the way that vrd implements it's queue. Would it be possible to add jobs to the queue that is currently being processed or begin another queue after the first has been submitted?
Now that I've become more accustomed to the editor I've refined my wishlist for a future version;
  • Add a send to Editor option to recordings (like EP's send to dvd/compression options) to send the current show to a fullscreen editor session and have it exit back to the same point.

• Change the behavior of the rec button (ctrl-y) so that it removes the current cutpoint (or adds one if there isn't a current one).

• Change the save dialog so that it remembers the previous save types.

• If possible assign the numeric keypad on the remote as additional navigation and edit controls eg:
0 - Save Cuts

7 - Cut- (and pause?)
8 - Clear Cut (/Set Cut?)
9 - Cut+ (and pause?)

4 - Start
5 - Clear All
6 - End

1 - toggle fullscreen
2 - VideoReDo
3 - Convert
Thankyou so much for your hard work on this tool. It's an enormous contribution to the SAGE environment. I look forward to seeing where it goes from here.

Mick.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:37 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickp
  • Stop button dumps changes. Somewhat annoying. Does this serve a purpose? Could this be changed so that it doesn't dump you out of your editing session? Maybe it could take you to the save screen.
Well my thought was that a Stop was the same thing as the "Close File" menu option but I could make it configurable.
Quote:
  • It would be nice to add a send to option on recorded shows. Possibly also on imported videos. Ideally for me this would go directly to the fullscreen mode of the editor and exit back to the properties of the show it was launched from. I'm not used to accessing shows by their category and I found it a bit difficult to locate and work on a group of recordings.
I'll think about this one. My thought was to add an option to the regular media player options menu (Default STV - will have to see if this works with SageMC) to go to full screen mode to the same location in the video in my menu. But I guess I could add an option on the detailed info to go to full screen mode of my plugin. In SageMC this would be done with the Send To menu correct?
Quote:
  • When keeping the imported markers there is always one that is beyond the means of the editor to reach and it can't be removed

*I've since worked out that this doesn't matter. Just confusing for me at first*
Is this one at the end of the video?
Quote:
  • To delete a cut you need to be exactly on top of it. Would it be possible to make this edit the nearest cut point so that you don't need to pause (not stop whatever you do ) playback to remove it? A highlight for closest cut may help ppl to understand what they are doing if implementing this.
This will take some work so it won't make the next version but I'll try for version 0.3 or 0.4.
Quote:
  • After playing with the tool a bit I've found that I often just want to move a cutpoint a bit. Could an option to move the nearest edit point to the current position be added? When selecting the new Move Cut option the nearest marker would be removed and a new one added at the current position. Another way to implement this might be to have a "move previous cut" and "move next cut" option that would delete the corresponding (prev or next) cut and create a new one at the current time.
Another good idea will work on this for a future version will not however make the next version.
Quote:
  • Are there keys for each action such as start, end, clear all etc? I'd consider swapping back to girder if necessary for full control of this via the remote.
I can add them but didn't know what command/remote button to add them too. But I see you have an idea below for that so I will try to get them in the next version.
Quote:
  • So far as I can see I will always want to save the same type of cut files (edl and VideoReDo). Would it be possible to default to the same selections as on the previous save so that I don't have to keep re-selecting VideoReDo?
Will add this options for next version due out this weekend.
Quote:
  • If I go to the end point of a video while playing or attempt to start playing from the end point, video stops working and all that is seen is the single frame of video that was displayed before attempting to play from the end. Audio continues to work correctly. Toggling fullscreen mode doesn't restore the video. The only way that I have found to restore video is to reload the file. *I've since found that this was only happening on one machine and only when I was using the Nvidia decoder. It's now working nicely*
This is why I added the ability to chang the MPEG2 Decoder Filter. What you found is why I almost forced the use of the SageTV decoder. It is the only one I've found that has never had this problem in one form or another. One bug I've found that will be fixed on the next version is that you can only change the decoder before you have opened a video. I don't have any code to reload the player after changing this - will be in the next version however.
Quote:
  • I don't use the left as back option in SAGE yet when in the video editing screen accidentally selecting the left key takes me back to the main menu. This doesn't happen in any other utility or screen that I've noticed. It's a little bothersome as it's possible to accidentally lose the edits that you have set (much like accidentally selecting stop).
Opps my fault! I will add code for the Default STV version to make this configurable and use the existing SageMC code.
Quote:
  • In fullscreen mode (which I like very much) it's not possible to see where the cutpoints are as there is no cutlist displayed. Would it be possible to indicate cutpoints on the timeline in some way (Hmm... I guess this is only relevant at the end of the file).
Well I could add the existing cut list from windowed mode and make it disappear like the controls can or possible always disappear after inactivity. Will try to get this in the next version but it may be the one after.
Quote:
  • When editing in fullscreen mode it's particularly easy to forget to enter the final cut point at the end of the file. When you're looking at the timeline everything appears to be correct. From my initial playing it seems that when you save any unmatched start/stop pairs are removed. Would it be possible to automagically generate a matching stop cut point at the end of the file, if edits are saved and the last cut point is a start?
I actually thought I already did this. Maybe I took it out for some reason. I'll see if I can add it back. Will try to get this in the next version but it may be the one after.
Quote:
  • If you are currently processing the video redo queue the ability to save a .vprj file is removed. Is there a reason for this? I tend to sit down for a big session of editing every now and then and would like to continue working while processing is occurring. I haven't looked into the way that vrd implements it's queue. Would it be possible to add jobs to the queue that is currently being processed or begin another queue after the first has been submitted?
I need to update my documentation in the first post some. I have implemented the queue in the SageTV GUI which I need to put in my documentation so that I can make it clear that you need to leave the GUI runing for the files to be processed. Currently if you exit Sage it is the same thing as Canceling the job. I'm hoping to add to the functionality and allow the user to add more jobs to the queue later. My problem is that I am going to allow QuickStreamFixes, AdScans and Editing and I have no way currently to indicate which it is so I let the user set it at the start and then make the menu entry disappear. Improvements for this will not make the next version however.
Quote:
Now that I've become more accustomed to the editor I've refined my wishlist for a future version;
  • Add a send to Editor option to recordings (like EP's send to dvd/compression options) to send the current show to a fullscreen editor session and have it exit back to the same point.
See above
Quote:
  • Change the behavior of the rec button (ctrl-y) so that it removes the current cutpoint (or adds one if there isn't a current one).
I can add this functionality to the next version.
Quote:
  • Change the save dialog so that it remembers the previous save types.
See above
Quote:
  • If possible assign the numeric keypad on the remote as additional navigation and edit controls eg:
0 - Save Cuts

7 - Cut- (and pause?)
9 - Cut+ (and pause?)

4 - Start
5 - Clear All
6 - End

1 - toggle fullscreen
2 - VideoReDo
3 - Convert
This looks good. I'll try to get it in the next version for this weekend. But I would like to point out that Cut+ and Cut- are available with Custom4/Left Arrow/Custom 5/Right Arrow now. Also while I can add the clear cut option to 5 you would have to be directly over the cut point to clear it with the current functionality. I'll add the above options unless someone else has a better idea for 7/8/9? And I just had an idea for the up and down arrows when the controls are not displayed as well. Up takes you to the end and down take you to the beginiing. I will get this into the next version

BobP.

Last edited by BobPhoenix; 12-30-2006 at 04:41 PM.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:24 PM
Sage Aficionado

Hey Bob,

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickP
Stop button dumps changes. Somewhat annoying. Does this serve a purpose? Could this be changed so that it doesn't dump you out of your editing session? Maybe it could take you to the save screen.
Well my thought was that a Stop was the same thing as the "Close File" menu option but I could make it configurable.
This was an initial reaction to the stop behavior which doesn't bother me so much now that I'm used to it. I did go on and on about it rather too much sorry. It's fine the way it is.

Quote:
Quote:
It would be nice to add a send to option on recorded shows. Possibly also on imported videos. Ideally for me this would go directly to the fullscreen mode of the editor and exit back to the properties of the show it was launched from. I'm not used to accessing shows by their category and I found it a bit difficult to locate and work on a group of recordings.
I'll think about this one. My thought was to add an option to the regular media player options menu (Default STV - will have to see if this works with SageMC) to go to full screen mode to the same location in the video in my menu. But I guess I could add an option on the detailed info to go to full screen mode of my plugin. In SageMC this would be done with the Send To menu correct?
Yep. The "send to" menu would be the ideal place to add this in sagemc imho. Also having the option from the option dialog popup thing would be cool too. I like the idea of jumping to the same location. I've alredy found myself using the editor to watch shows. I don't think I'd be likely to edit while viewing but you never know.

Quote:
Quote:
When keeping the imported markers there is always one that is beyond the means of the editor to reach and it can't be removed

Is this one at the end of the video?
Ooops. That was a bit vague wasn't it. I was referring to the one at the end of the video (placed by comskip). It doesn't cause a problem at all. I don't think I'd gotten my head around the editor yet when I made this note.

Quote:
Quote:
To delete a cut you need to be exactly on top of it. Would it be possible to make this edit the nearest cut point so that you don't need to pause (not stop whatever you do ) playback to remove it? A highlight for closest cut may help ppl to understand what they are doing if implementing this.
This will take some work so it won't make the next version but I'll try for version 0.3 or 0.4.
Quote:
Quote:
After playing with the tool a bit I've found that I often just want to move a cutpoint a bit. Could an option to move the nearest edit point to the current position be added? When selecting the new Move Cut option the nearest marker would be removed and a new one added at the current position. Another way to implement this might be to have a "move previous cut" and "move next cut" option that would delete the corresponding (prev or next) cut and create a new one at the current time.
Another good idea will work on this for a future version will not however make the next version.
I still like the idea of these features but as I've become used to the fullscreen editor in stealth mode (no controls displayed) they seem less critical. Hmmm... If you think that the move previous/next cut option is likely to happen down the track then maybe some keypad buttons should be reserved for them.

Quote:
Quote:
So far as I can see I will always want to save the same type of cut files (edl and VideoReDo). Would it be possible to default to the same selections as on the previous save so that I don't have to keep re-selecting VideoReDo?
Will add this options for next version due out this weekend.
Cool.

Quote:
Quote:
If I go to the end point of a video while playing or attempt to start playing from the end point, video stops working and all that is seen is the single frame of video that was displayed before attempting to play from the end. Audio continues to work correctly. Toggling fullscreen mode doesn't restore the video. The only way that I have found to restore video is to reload the file. *I've since found that this was only happening on one machine and only when I was using the Nvidia decoder. It's now working nicely*
This is why I added the ability to chang the MPEG2 Decoder Filter. What you found is why I almost forced the use of the SageTV decoder. It is the only one I've found that has never had this problem in one form or another. One bug I've found that will be fixed on the next version is that you can only change the decoder before you have opened a video. I don't have any code to reload the player after changing this - will be in the next version however.
Would it be easy to default this to use the SAGE decoder after install? I'm okay now that I've worked out what was going on but it might reduce the number of support posts in the future.

Quote:
Quote:
I don't use the left as back option in SAGE yet when in the video editing screen accidentally selecting the left key takes me back to the main menu. This doesn't happen in any other utility or screen that I've noticed. It's a little bothersome as it's possible to accidentally lose the edits that you have set (much like accidentally selecting stop).
Opps my fault! I will add code for the Default STV version to make this configurable and use the existing SageMC code.
Cool. This won't be such an issue once the send to options are added.

Quote:
Quote:
In fullscreen mode (which I like very much) it's not possible to see where the cutpoints are as there is no cutlist displayed. Would it be possible to indicate cutpoints on the timeline in some way (Hmm... I guess this is only relevant at the end of the file).
Well I could add the existing cut list from windowed mode and make it disappear like the controls can or possible always disappear after inactivity. Will try to get this in the next version but it may be the one after.
The cutpoint list might be kinda cool looking but I don't think it's necessary if the end cut point is auto added if missing/unpaired. The existing timeline bar thingy displays this information very elegantly imho.

Quote:
Quote:
If you are currently processing the video redo queue the ability to save a .vprj file is removed. Is there a reason for this? I tend to sit down for a big session of editing every now and then and would like to continue working while processing is occurring. I haven't looked into the way that vrd implements it's queue. Would it be possible to add jobs to the queue that is currently being processed or begin another queue after the first has been submitted?
I need to update my documentation in the first post some. I have implemented the queue in the SageTV GUI which I need to put in my documentation so that I can make it clear that you need to leave the GUI runing for the files to be processed. Currently if you exit Sage it is the same thing as Canceling the job. I'm hoping to add to the functionality and allow the user to add more jobs to the queue later. My problem is that I am going to allow QuickStreamFixes, AdScans and Editing and I have no way currently to indicate which it is so I let the user set it at the start and then make the menu entry disappear. Improvements for this will not make the next version however.
Aaaah. Thanks, it makes sense now.
Maybe the way to handle this is to make the quickstream fixes and AdScans available as separate choices from the send to/options popup. Even if you didn't add these as additional "send to" options you'd know the type of action that is being taken if the editor is launched via this method and could (possibly) allow adding jobs to the queue in this circumstance.

Quote:
Quote:
If possible assign the numeric keypad on the remote as additional navigation and edit controls eg:
0 - Save Cuts

7 - Cut- (and pause?)
9 - Cut+ (and pause?)

4 - Start
5 - Clear All
6 - End

1 - toggle fullscreen
2 - VideoReDo
3 - Convert
This looks good. I'll try to get it in the next version for this weekend. But I would like to point out that Cut+ and Cut- are available with Custom4/Left Arrow/Custom 5/Right Arrow now. Also while I can add the clear cut option to 5 you would have to be directly over the cut point to clear it with the current functionality. I'll add the above options unless someone else has a better idea for 7/8/9? And I just had an idea for the up and down arrows when the controls are not displayed as well. Up takes you to the end and down take you to the beginiing. I will get this into the next version
Those key assignments were just some ideas to get the ball rolling. I do like the idea of making the Cut+- buttons also pause playback so that you can then toggle the cutpoint off if you want to. Would this be easy(ish) to do? It works at the moment with the left right options but you need to hit pause first otherwise you move past the cut point before you can delete it. This option would become defunct if/when you are able to delete the nearest marker without being on top of it.

With this in mind how about a 2 phase approach to the key assignments?

Phase 1 assignments:

0 - Save Cuts

7 - Cut- and pause
8 - Clear Cut/Set Cut (replicates the rec button but seems logical here)
9 - Cut+ and pause

4 - Start
5 - Clear All
6 - End

1 - toggle fullscreen
2 - VideoReDo
3 - Convert

Phase 2 assignments:

0 - Save Cuts

7 - Move previous Cut to current time
8 - Clear nearest Cut
9 - Move next Cut to current time

4 - Start
5 - Clear All
6 - End

1 - toggle fullscreen
2 - VideoReDo
3 - Convert

Quote:
I would like to point out that Cut+ and Cut- are available with Custom4/Left Arrow/Custom 5/Right Arrow now.
I'm using an usbuirt with a non hauppauge remote and don't have any custom buttons assigned at the moment. If I assign custom 4 & 5 will these skip between cut points directly while in non stealth mode rather than moving between the onscreen options?

Thanks again for all of your hard work.

Mick.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:34 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Hey Bob,

This was an initial reaction to the stop behavior which doesn't bother me so much now that I'm used to it. I did go on and on about it rather too much sorry. It's fine the way it is.
Too late. I liked your idea and have added a Save/Discard popup because I think I should be warning someone that the cut changes they have made will be lost.
Quote:
Yep. The "send to" menu would be the ideal place to add this in sagemc imho. Also having the option from the option dialog popup thing would be cool too. I like the idea of jumping to the same location. I've alredy found myself using the editor to watch shows. I don't think I'd be likely to edit while viewing but you never know.
Will get this in a future version but not 0.2

Quote:
Ooops. That was a bit vague wasn't it. I was referring to the one at the end of the video (placed by comskip). It doesn't cause a problem at all. I don't think I'd gotten my head around the editor yet when I made this note.
Gotcha.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
To delete a cut you need to be exactly on top of it. Would it be possible to make this edit the nearest cut point so that you don't need to pause (not stop whatever you do ) playback to remove it? A highlight for closest cut may help ppl to understand what they are doing if implementing this.
Quote:
Quote:
After playing with the tool a bit I've found that I often just want to move a cutpoint a bit. Could an option to move the nearest edit point to the current position be added? When selecting the new Move Cut option the nearest marker would be removed and a new one added at the current position. Another way to implement this might be to have a "move previous cut" and "move next cut" option that would delete the corresponding (prev or next) cut and create a new one at the current time.
I still like the idea of these features but as I've become used to the fullscreen editor in stealth mode (no controls displayed) they seem less critical. Hmmm... If you think that the move previous/next cut option is likely to happen down the track then maybe some keypad buttons should be reserved for them.
I like them too and I see what you suggested for the keypad below.

Quote:
Would it be easy to default this to use the SAGE decoder after install? I'm okay now that I've worked out what was going on but it might reduce the number of support posts in the future.
Yah it might but I also don't want to get people complaining about the quality of playback. I think maybe the best option is to make a note of this in the first post near the top that the SageTV decoder will give the best results with MPG files.

Quote:
The cutpoint list might be kinda cool looking but I don't think it's necessary if the end cut point is auto added if missing/unpaired. The existing timeline bar thingy displays this information very elegantly imho.
Ok I'll take this one off my todo list. I'll just make sure that I always have an even number of cut points when saving.

Quote:
Aaaah. Thanks, it makes sense now.
Maybe the way to handle this is to make the quickstream fixes and AdScans available as separate choices from the send to/options popup. Even if you didn't add these as additional "send to" options you'd know the type of action that is being taken if the editor is launched via this method and could (possibly) allow adding jobs to the queue in this circumstance.
Fixing my queue is high on my priority list just don't have time to add it to the next release. I also want to reorganize my VideoReDo menu and the convert option. What I was thinking was a "Tools" menu that contains VideoReDo Edit, VideoReDo QSF, VideoReDo AdScan and Convert options and any other 'Tool' like options to this menu. I think I could then clean up the current menu some.

Quote:
Those key assignments were just some ideas to get the ball rolling. I do like the idea of making the Cut+- buttons also pause playback so that you can then toggle the cutpoint off if you want to. Would this be easy(ish) to do? It works at the moment with the left right options but you need to hit pause first otherwise you move past the cut point before you can delete it. This option would become defunct if/when you are able to delete the nearest marker without being on top of it.
Sounds like a good idea and make that pauseable should be in the next version because No it isn't hard to add this at all. Matter of fact I had to remove a pause from the alternate skip method already. Adding it to the Cut+- with an option to turn it off should be easy.

Quote:
With this in mind how about a 2 phase approach to the key assignments?

Phase 1 assignments:

0 - Save Cuts

7 - Cut- and pause
8 - Clear Cut/Set Cut (replicates the rec button but seems logical here)
9 - Cut+ and pause

4 - Start
5 - Clear All
6 - End

1 - toggle fullscreen
2 - VideoReDo
3 - Convert

Phase 2 assignments:

0 - Save Cuts

7 - Move previous Cut to current time
8 - Clear nearest Cut
9 - Move next Cut to current time

4 - Start
5 - Clear All
6 - End

1 - toggle fullscreen
2 - VideoReDo
3 - Convert
Sound like a good idea.

Quote:
I'm using an usbuirt with a non hauppauge remote and don't have any custom buttons assigned at the moment. If I assign custom 4 & 5 will these skip between cut points directly while in non stealth mode rather than moving between the onscreen options?
They should but I can't say I've tried it.

BobP.
Old 12-31-2006, 05:02 PM
Sage Expert

Absoutely Great plugin...

now , please help...

When I go to options and click on specify for the video redo directory..I get a blue pop up square (blank)...I assumed there would be a "browse" or something, but its just blank..I tried typing in the square and nothing..When I press esc, the square goes away and takes me back to the video edit menu. So far all other menu items seem to work, but of course I can not get too far since I can not specify the directory for video redo.

I can load video's just fine and the comskip marks show up...

Strange, huh? I know its something simple...

Gary Ellis
Old 01-01-2007, 02:27 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyellis
Absoutely Great plugin...

now , please help...

When I go to options and click on specify for the video redo directory..I get a blue pop up square (blank)...I assumed there would be a "browse" or something, but its just blank..I tried typing in the square and nothing..When I press esc, the square goes away and takes me back to the video edit menu. So far all other menu items seem to work, but of course I can not get too far since I can not specify the directory for video redo.

I can load video's just fine and the comskip marks show up...

Strange, huh? I know its something simple...

Gary Ellis
Sounds like it didn't import correctly. It sounds like it didn't link to the CenteredDirectoryBrower. This might happen if you loaded as opposed to imported the plugin but there could be another problem. If you can post your SageTV3.xml or SageMC_169.xml file I can look at what happened. Also I hope you are not trying this with SageTV V5. This is not likely to work with any version except version 6. Another option would be to turn on 'debug_logging=TRUE' in your properties file and reimport the file again then post that as well. Just had another thought. This plugin uses the most recent version of flachbar's import utility and if you have an old copy from another plugin in the Jars folder this may not import properly either. I would try extracting this plugin again and this time make sure that "df_sageutils.jar" gets replaced.

BobP.

Last edited by BobPhoenix; 01-01-2007 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:20 PM
SageTVaholic

I uploaded a new version that should fix a few bugs I found as well as new features added. I will change the graphics that have changed for this later this week and also start on the features I want to add to future versions. I don't expect to release the new versions for a while as the code changes may be quite extensive. The current version 0.2 had a lot of changes but I had vacations to work on this and that is done for a few month so will only have weekends now. In other words this will take awhile. One more thing if bugs are reported I will most likely release a 0.2.1+ version(s) before 0.3 comes out. See the second post of this thread for changes as well as what is on my TODO list for this plugin. Note your suggestion are welcome and will be added to the TODO list and when I think I might have them completed. Bugs will of course be handled first so post them as well.

BobP.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:02 AM
Sage Aficionado

How about adding support for mose selections over the progreess bar??

I added some code (enclosed here), that should add mouse click listenting (needs to be cleaned a bit) so the seeking can be like in the regular stv, osd menu.

can you add this in???
(exported the panel to an xml file, changed to txt here because cannot upload xml)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MouseControl.JPG (17.7 KB, 535 views)
Attached Files
File Type: txt ProgressBarMouse.txt (1.5 KB, 475 views)
SageTV Client 6.3.5 , AMD 3000, 1024Mb, Saphire x1600Pro256HDMI, java 1.6.1

Using Nielm's Web server 2.22