SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 12-27-2006, 08:37 AM
Sage Advanced User

Hardware required for HDTV?

I've been considering moving to HDTV and was researching my hardware requirements. I had always thought that I needed to replace my sat receivers and video capture devices, but have come to the realization that my existing video capture devices may be okay. I'd like some confirmation on that.

All of the HDTV capture devices I've researched are for free-to-air HDTV capture. However, I use Bell ExpressVu and would be moving to HDTV receivers. Can I simply plug my HDTV receivers into my existing Happauge 350's and capture and play back in HDTV quality or do I also need HDTV capture devices?

Thanks,
plawlor

Sage Server - Dual Intel i7, 16 GB RAM, 4 TB RAID 0 Disk, 5 x HD-PVR (BellTV HD), 5 x USB-UIRT, Windows 7 64-Bit on VMWare ESXI 5.1, SageTV 9.x Open Source
Clients #1 to #3 - HD300
Client #4 - Shield Android TV running Mini Client
Client #5 - Sony Bravia Android TV running Mini Client
Old 12-27-2006, 08:44 AM
SageTVaholic

I think you need to look at the RD5000 from nextcom wireless. From what I understand it will be the only way for you to get HD from your setup.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:05 AM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for the response. Is the problem that the Hauppauge cards won't capture at the quality of HDTV or will they not handle the format properly?

Sage Server - Dual Intel i7, 16 GB RAM, 4 TB RAID 0 Disk, 5 x HD-PVR (BellTV HD), 5 x USB-UIRT, Windows 7 64-Bit on VMWare ESXI 5.1, SageTV 9.x Open Source
Clients #1 to #3 - HD300
Old 12-27-2006, 09:06 AM
Sage Expert

Exactly what I am considering right now. The RD5000 is compatible with BEV model 6000 HD receivers. What happens is you will send your BEV 6000 tuner to Nextcom and they will perform a hardware modification to make the 6000 compatible to the RD5000.

You then hook the RD5000 to your usb2. Thus the RD5000 serves as a direct digital link up to your PC. No video capture card required.

You then configure Sage to accept the RD5000 as a 'Network Encoder'. Nextcom provides documentation on their website specifically for Sage users.

There is also some kind of promotion if you order before Jan 1, 2007.

At present, I am just balancing out the pros and cons between the Nextcom solution and simply getting a HD DVR from BEV for $600 Cdn.

Keep in mind that HD requires big hard drives. If you need to add a new hard drive, then make sure your power supply on your PC is adequate. Also, your video card on your HTPC needs to support 1080i in hardware mode. My GF Ti4400 will not cut it.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:11 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy99
Also, your video card on your HTPC needs to support 1080i in hardware mode.
I'm assuming this is for the playback? So if I have a server that does nothing but capture and an additional PC setup as a client for playback, this card needs to be on the client?

This is looking like an expensive option... $500 per capture for the nextcom devices = $1,000. $300 for each of the receivers = $600. Plus an external USB2 storage device = $500. This is a $2,000 upgrade! Perhaps I'll just wait a bit...

Clients #1 to #3 - HD300
Old 12-27-2006, 09:26 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by plawlor
I'm assuming this is for the playback? So if I have a server that does nothing but capture and an additional PC setup as a client for playback, this card needs to be on the client?...
Yes your HTPC playback PC needs a good video card. Your Sage server can be a lowly Celeron with a good 500GB of fast hard drive. You must have USB2 capability. My Server is a Server/Client at the same time.

Quote:
This is looking like an expensive option... $500 per capture for the nextcom devices = $1,000. $300 for each of the receivers = $600. Plus an external USB2 storage device = $500. This is a $2,000 upgrade! Perhaps I'll just wait a bit...
I think you should consider a BEV HD-DVR for $600 and use Sage on you Standard 480i tuner(s). More and more I think about it, more and more I think it may not be worth it. If all you're doing is capturing HD for setting up favorites, timeshift, commercial skippingthen its a no brainer- get a dedicated no hassles HD DVR from Bell. In addition, they have a HD tuner that permits dual recording ability, technically its 2 capture tuners in one. So you can watch live TV on one station and record on another.

Plus you still have Sage for all your SD material so all your bases are covered.

If you're addicted to Sage and enjoy tinkering and don't mind being a guinea pig for bleeding edge technology, then go for it! It'll be fun! Make sure you have a pitient wife and realize that you're not saving any money.

Last edited by roxy99; 12-27-2006 at 09:29 AM.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:27 AM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks folks.

That pretty much made up my mind. I'm pretty much addicted to Sage at this point. I've been at it since Ver 3. I don't mind tinkering. It's what I used to do for a living... However, I can't afford a $2,000 upgrade right now, so I'll guess I'll wait it out a bit longer until things get a little more reasonable.

I'll keep watching the progress on the forums, though...

Clients #1 to #3 - HD300
Old 12-27-2006, 01:28 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Thanks folks.

That pretty much made up my mind. I'm pretty much addicted to Sage at this point. I've been at it since Ver 3. I don't mind tinkering. It's what I used to do for a living... However, I can't afford a $2,000 upgrade right now, so I'll guess I'll wait it out a bit longer until things get a little more reasonable.

I'll keep watching the progress on the forums, though...

Don't wait too long or else Bell may make it impossible for future HD tuners to be modded for the RD5000. If I were you I would buy the Bev 6000 for now ($200 cdn) and start at least enjoying HD. Get the other stuff later.