SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > The SageTV Community
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

The SageTV Community Here's the place to discuss what's worth recording, HTPC deals at retail stores, events happening outside of your home theater, and pretty much anything else you'd like. (No For-Sale posts)

Old 12-28-2006, 09:45 AM
Sage User

FIOS PVR with media manager

I was thinking of switching over from Sage to the FIOS pvr and there media manager system. I am looking to see if anybody has any experience with FIOS pvr and there media manager software and also the pro's and con's of each system.

I got Sage and built my PVR with a MVP extender becaue the entire setup was similar in price as Tivo but there were no monthly fees and it had the major advantage of being able play my stored MP3's over my houses sound system.

Now going forward with HD and FIOS becoming available, FIOS pvr with Media manager may be the best option. It has a dual tuner, and media manager is PC software that allows the STB to interface with your computers sound and picture media. The box will cost me $20/ month to rent, but if I went with sage I would need to rent two HD STB at $10 a piece any how.. so the monthly price is the same and I won't have to pay the random Sage upgrade fees.

The one thing that I will certainly miss with Sage is the show analyzer commercial skipping add-in (I love it for football games... start the game about an hour late and am caught up by the end without the need of FF and RWD every few seconds). Other than that I figure FIOS will be more stable, better picture quality, avoid the HD extender obstacles or poor HD video card output.
Can anybody else weigh in with either experience with Fios and media manager or just with what advantages you could see between the two options (Fios Media Manager and Sage)?

Last edited by Kev; 12-28-2006 at 03:10 PM.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:37 AM
SageTVaholic

Simple math to me.. I opted to not go with fios tv recently because it wouldn't integrate into my sage system as well as directv would. (serial vs. ir) If we look at your argument of sage upgrade fees:

1) Sage releases a major version once per year, assumption. $40/year in software
2) Verizon charges $10/mo more for whole home system, plus you have to have other box rentals at 4-10 per month?

Seems like a no brainer to me if you already have sunk costs into sage.

my 2 centablos
Old 12-28-2006, 10:48 AM
Sage User

The setup cost for my PVR is already sort of wasted considering it is a standard def tuner and extender. The pricing is really the same either way, ignoring any upgrade fees and initial hardware costs associated with Sage HD options.

If I use sage, I have to get a second HD box for my computer and they are $10 each (1 for computer one for the TV for a total of $20). If I go with the Fios PVR it is a single dual tuner box for $20. So the price is the same, but how about options and quality. I am a rooky to HD so am looking for info comparing Sage and hardware options compared to the FIOS PVR option.

Last edited by Kev; 12-28-2006 at 03:16 PM.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:54 AM
Sage Aficionado

I have verizon Fios now and the picture is great. The only problem with their media manager device is that it is SD only for the remote boxes. It does not transmit HD or transcode HD to the other STBs. It is only a SD solution.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:03 AM
Sage User

Thanks for the feedback!
How is it with the other media file, specifically music?
As far as it not transmitting HD that wouldn't be all that bad as long as the main box records HD, which I assume it does. My other TV's are all smaller and don't have plans on upgrading any or them to HD.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:57 AM
Sage Fanatic

matt also mentioned that it won't transcode HD....so any HD show you record will not be viewable on the remote boxes. you will only have access to your SD recordings. It won't downconvert HD and play it on the remote boxes.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:42 AM
Sage Aficionado

I actually dont have it myself. My boss at work is getting it all setup, so I am going off of what he is saying and the FIOS website. But from my understanding you do not need the $20 a month media manager to stream music from your computer. I think all you need is the DVR. I dont use their DVR so I cant say for certain about quality.

From the FIOS website you have to install a small app on your computer to get it viewable, its similar (if not the same) to the app you install for the XBox extender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev
Thanks for the feedback!
How is it with the other media file, specifically music?
As far as it not transmitting HD that wouldn't be all that bad as long as the main box records HD, which I assume it does. My other TV's are all smaller and don't have plans on upgrading any or them to HD.