SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 12-28-2006, 06:30 PM
Sage User

Network encoding or ...?

Here's my current setup.

One computer, running SageTV 6, running the service and gui seperately. It currently has a Wintv-PVR 150 card and no free pci slots. I want to add another encoder but with no free pci slots I am left with 2 options I can see...

They are:
Get a dual tuner/ecoder card such as a Wintv-pvr 500, or
Network encoding using another computer connected by 100mbit lan.

The problem I am having is I cannot locate a non MCE Wintv-PVR 500 card that includes an IR port. This is needed since I will be taking out my 150 with the only IR port.

The other way, with network encoding doesn't seem practical either since I will need to purchase an additional license.

Another concern I have is will the quality suffer when watching from the network encoder?

USB options are unfortunately out of the question as well. The computer doesn't not have any USB 2.0 ports so a USB encoding card is a no go.

So my question is... is network encoing going to be worth it? or is there somewhere that sells a Wintv-PVR 500 with IR and the haumpauge remote?

Or... is there a solution I havent thought of yet?
Old 12-28-2006, 06:45 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmuZombie
USB options are unfortunately out of the question as well. The computer doesn't not have any USB 2.0 ports so a USB encoding card is a no go.
You could pull your existing PCI tuner and put a USB 2.0 adapter in its place, then add as many external USB tuners as you like. Seems like an easier and lower-maintenance solution than setting up a second machine as a network encoder.

If you go this route, be sure to connect the tuners to the adapter through a powered USB 2.0 hub. Do not count on your USB adapter to be able to directly power more than one external tuner.

Edit: For IR, add a USB-UIRT.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:09 PM
Sage Icon

The PVR-500 only comes in an "MCE" version. There isn't one with an IR port.

You said it doesn't have any USB2.0 ports, but it does have USB1.1 ports? IF so, then the USB-UIRT would work with the PVR-500, and you should still be able to use your existing Hauppauge remote.

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:37 AM
SageTVaholic

You could always go with something like the HDHomeRun, but not sure if HD is something you are wanting. It is a dual ATSC or QAM tuner that is standalone on the network.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room