SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 12-11-2006, 10:51 PM
Sage User

VOB Files skipping and repeating 3 times

Anyone else having issues with vob files skipping then repeating the previously played portion? It happens several times during playback. I am going to verify some more as it may just be the vob files, but I have not seen this issue before upgrading. As for now I have only seen it on my MVP's running Sage 6.0.16.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:23 PM
Sage User

I have found that polar express will skip and repeat three times in the same spot. (every time) This, however, does not happen when playing this movie from the the full sage client I have in my living room. It does not seem to happen on all other vob movies playing on the MVP's. (Some do, some don't)

It seems like when the vob files were created it may have come across some spots on the dvd that were hard to read and it may have copied over the same portion of the movies 3 times. Just a thoery at this point.

The unusual aprt is that if this were the case I would see this behavior on both the MVP and the sage client, but I am not. Does the full sage client process the vob files differently? Possibly it is smart enough to pick up on the fact it has already played this portion of the vob file and auto correct?

Anyone else seen this behavior?
Old 12-12-2006, 11:01 PM
Sage User

I've actually experienced this as well. I've seen both cases you describe.
1. One video would consistently stutter, and would do it both via MVP as well as local client as well as via WinDVD in vob mode. Re-ripping the disc seemed to solve the problem here.
2. Other times i've seen it, the vob it happens with is random. Sometimes the movie plays through just fine, sometimes it has a point where it stutters. Sometimes just hitting pause, and then play again fixes it. sometimes not.

I've seen this fairly consistently in terms of it's not super hard to reproduce, but there isn't a set of steps to follow to get this.

if other folks know of extra debugging to enable to help figure this out, let me know.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:56 PM
Sage User

Well a friend of mine just setup Sage 6 with an MVP and played the same movie I have from his MVP and guess what?? It skips and repeats 3 times in the very same locations!!! This tells me it is something with the MVP's.

Has anyone else seen this?

I have to imagine that if we are both seeing it at the same spot, in the same movie, using different physical dvd sources that this must be widespread.

Anyone???!!
Old 12-30-2006, 06:15 AM
SageTVaholic

Not neccessarily. I had this happen with a newer rip and had to change my decrypting program to get past the issue. If you're only checking the same movie and ripping it the same way with the same program it doen't have to be a widespread problem of the MVPs. All of my rips play fine.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:47 PM
Sage User

The movies this is happening to me on don't exhibit the problem when played via the SageTV Client on an XP Pro machine, they only exhibit the problem when played via an MVP, so i'm not sure it's a problem with the rip.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:40 PM
Sage User

I am in the same boat. I have a dedicated Sage Server. (ie. I do not watch/play anything on this server, it is merely there to house files and serve up data to the clients)

On my Sage Client (XP Pro) The DVD will play just fine. On the MVP it repeats in the same spots everytime. Same deal for my buddy.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:48 PM
Sage User

VOB files skip and repeat 3 times on MVP

I have a thread I started when 6 was still in BETA. But this is the more relevant forum now. * topics merged *

I run a dedicated Sage server (ie. It sits in my basement with no monitor hooked up to it.)

I have a Windows XP Pro box running Sage Client. All VOB's play fine on here.

On my MVP's certain rips will stop, go back, and repeat themselves three times.

I though maybe it was a bad rip, but it plays fine every time on the Sage Client.

My buddy has the same setup and we ripped the same DVD. (He used his copy and I used my copy of the DVD.) Guess what!!!?? His stopped, went back, and replayed the same spot 3 times....In exactly the same places as mine did.

Anyone else seeing this on the MVP's??
Old 12-30-2006, 06:13 PM

Might not be the same..

jredwine,

I actually had a somewhat similar problem. When I would try to play a ripped DVD it would repeat constantly so that all of my DVD's were unwatchable over my MVP, but they would play fine on the server or computer client.

I submitted a bug report and logfile to SageTV and they said it would be fixed in a subsequent version (this was during version 6BETA).

Three beta versions later, I was still having the same problem.

I couldn't find anyone that was having the same issue, so I looked around the net and found someone on the CDFreaks.com site that was having problems with their ripped DVD's as well.

It turns out that they didn't have the "check for updates" enabled on their ripping software so they were using an old version.

I checked my software and it turns out my updates were disabled as well. It was actually several versions out of date.

As soon as I updated my software, the problem was eliminated. Now I am re-ripping my collection with the updated version and everything is working like a charm.

Might not be your issue, but the "repeating" problem caught my eye.

Good luck, and I hope you find a solution to your problem.

Cheers!
Old 12-30-2006, 07:19 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jredwine2857
I am in the same boat. I have a dedicated Sage Server. (ie. I do not watch/play anything on this server, it is merely there to house files and serve up data to the clients)

On my Sage Client (XP Pro) The DVD will play just fine. On the MVP it repeats in the same spots everytime. Same deal for my buddy.
I saw this happen to me once back in the beta and by deleting the clients folder and letting it recreate itself and resetting up the MVP I did not see it again. Maybe it will work for you.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:49 PM
Sage User

I cleaned out my clients folder, restarted my mvp, went through the initial setup again, but i'm still seeing the same issues.

i do think that there is something special in the dvd's at that point that other players either ignore, or deal with correctly. In some of the DVDs exhibiting the behavior, the repeats are in different languages. For example, one disc doing this for me is Phantom Menace. The repeats occur during the opening crawl, and it cycles. First english, then spanish, then french, etc.

i'll try re-ripping the disc. I'm curious what software folks are using to do thier rips. I'm using DVDFabDecrypter 3.0.4 (which is just 0.0.1 version behind the latest)
Old 01-02-2007, 11:41 PM
Sage User

i did a re-rip with DVD Decrypter, and set the angle processing to always use angle 1, and now the situation is worse via the MVP, although still works ok via the sage client.

The MVP definitely seems to be treating these somehow differently
Old 01-03-2007, 09:52 PM
Sage User

I use dvd decrypter also. (Not sure if this really helps or not.)

I am still stumped as well.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:15 AM
Sage User

Since it seems the prevailing opinion of the community is that it's just a bad rip, i've spent the last few days creating various versions of the movie via different methods.

I've been through all the guides on videohelp.com, and went through lengths to update the dvd drive and drivers i'm using to do the rips.

The easiest repro for me was "The Matrix", specifically chp29 (lobby shooting spree). This always had the repeat 3 times problem, but again only via the MVP.

None of the latest versions of DVD Decrypter, DVDFab Decrypter, DVD Shrink produced a rip that didn't have this problem.

I ran the output through FixVTS, still same problem

I did find one method that did produce a working movie. Using DVD Shrink, i reauthored a DVD with only the movie as described here "Ripping the movie only" section. While workable, this is below the expectation of being able to have the full DVD.

The other interesting thing about this method, is that only one title stream is used, which seems to indicate that maybe the MVP's software has problems with the extra angles/titles on this rip

I'd love to hear from folks who have the full matrix dvd on the hdd, and are playing it through the mvp without problems
Old 04-14-2007, 06:29 PM
Sage User

Has anyone come to any resolve on this issue? Me and my friend both have the problem in the exact same spots on the exact same movie. It's definitely related to the MVP's as it works fine on the full sage client.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:49 PM
Sage User

I've been using 6.1 for a while now, and all of my hdd based DVD issues are fixed.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:37 PM
Sage User

Mine too!