SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 12-31-2006, 06:55 PM
Sage User

Yeah, if I can get this to work it will be 75% for the TV. I might run a webserver on it too if it has the resources. But does it matter that I have Satellite? Direct TV. I just realised that you guys keep saying cable, so it never occured to me that it might not be working because I have satellite.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:05 PM
Sage Expert

DirectTV is another story altogether. In a satellite situation (in simplest terms), the only tuning option is through the STB.

You cannot make this work without a card with an option to control the STB.

Stu
Old 12-31-2006, 07:05 PM
Sage User

What exactly does STB mean?
Old 12-31-2006, 07:17 PM
Sage Fanatic

STB is Set Top Box, or the box from DirectTV that sits on your TV and your satellite dish coax cable connects to it.

For this, you MUST have a different capture card since there is no possibility to get 'analog channels'. You have to have some way to tell the STB to change channels. It can be done via serial port (only on certain models of DirectTV recievers) or via IR 'blaster', but you NEED a different capture card than your AIW.

-PGPfan
Sage Server: Gigabyte 690AMD m-ATX, Athlon II X4 620 Propus, 3.0 GB ram, (1) VistaView dual analog PCI-e tuner, (2) Avermedia Purity 3D MCE 250's, (1) HD-Homerun, 1.5 TB of hard drives in a Windows Home Server drive pool, Western Digital 300GB 'scratch' disk outside the pool, Gigabit LAN
Sage Clients: MSI DIVA m-ATX, 5.1 channel 100w/channel amplifier card, 2 GB ram, , (1) Hauppauge MVP, (1) SageTV HD-100 Media Storage: unRAID 3.6TB server
Old 12-31-2006, 07:24 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajawoojie
What exactly does STB mean?
I'm sorry that made me laugh; did you not read the four-year-old explanation I posted above? It's about halfway down....

I realize PGPFan already answered this in another post, but I felt like I put a lot of effort in trying to simplify the answer, and then you ask a question like that... I just felt like I needed to ask if you read it

Stu
Old 12-31-2006, 07:30 PM
Sage User

Yeah, I was reading everything. But once all the words I dont have a clue of the meaning of start popping up (STB) my eyes start skipping lines. So any reccomendations on a nice, CHEAP card I could buy in a store? I dont like ordering stuff on the internet for I hate how long it takes to arrive.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:46 PM
Sage Expert

Here's a PVR-150 at CompUSA:

http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...Video_Recorder

I have this card, and it works fine. Funny, though, I dont use it with an STB (couldn't resist), so I don't know how well the IR control works on it.

Stu
Old 12-31-2006, 08:05 PM
Sage User

Well, if your not sure I think I will wait for someone else to either confrim, or suggest another. I want to be sure before I go spending money.
Old 12-31-2006, 10:03 PM
Sage Fanatic

Bajawoojie,

You will be good to go with the setup that sainswor99 linked for you. MANY folks on here use that system with no troubles whatsoever. It's got all you need to do one channel recording (at a time) with Sage.

If/when you decide to do a multi-tuner setup, you can get the PVR-150 MCE (which is the same card. without the remote and IR blaster) for even less money and will work great with this card.

-PGPfan
Sage Server: Gigabyte 690AMD m-ATX, Athlon II X4 620 Propus, 3.0 GB ram, (1) VistaView dual analog PCI-e tuner, (2) Avermedia Purity 3D MCE 250's, (1) HD-Homerun, 1.5 TB of hard drives in a Windows Home Server drive pool, Western Digital 300GB 'scratch' disk outside the pool, Gigabit LAN
Sage Clients: MSI DIVA m-ATX, 5.1 channel 100w/channel amplifier card, 2 GB ram, , (1) Hauppauge MVP, (1) SageTV HD-100 Media Storage: unRAID 3.6TB server
Old 12-31-2006, 11:50 PM
Sage User

Are there any a bit cheaper? Im not sure that I want to go out and spend $100 on something, especially if its for just getting started. I just want to do the basic recording for my own personal collection. Then if I end up wanting to do more, I would get a new card. But I would just rather spend as little money as possible right now.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:33 AM
Sage Icon

Understood, but going with a known quantity (like the PVR150/500, DualTV, or Theater 550) can save a lot of headaches.

P
Old 01-01-2007, 01:12 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGPfan
If/when you decide to do a multi-tuner setup, you can get the PVR-150 MCE (which is the same card. without the remote and IR blaster) for even less money and will work great with this card.
Just a reminder: The Hauppauge IR drivers can't tell the difference between a tuner with the IR port and one w/o it (MCE cards don't have the IR port), so after adding an MCE card, you might have a real pain trying to use your Hauppauge remote or IR blaster.

If you start with a tuner w/o the IR port, get the USB-UIRT too -- it will act as a receiver for your remote and as a blaster to control your STB.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:23 AM
Sage Expert

After following this thread for a couple of days, I just realized a couple of things:

1. We really need to put together a wiki of some sort with all of the TLA (three-letter acronyms) for people. I know a lot of people think it's just for the newbies, but I still get confused when I read something for the first time.

2. We need a basic primer on getting started with Sage (or any other PVR). I understand Bawajoojie's concern about cost; computers in general are an expensive hobby, and you certainly don't want to "waste" money pursuing the wrong thing.

However, (and to get back on thread), in this specific setup, there are certain factors that are going to drive the cost up. With a satellite setup (or any setup that requires a set-top-box), you HAVE to have some method of driving the box from the computer. While it's true that you can get a PVR solution running for a relatively cheap price, that's only true when you are dealing with a simple TV scenario (over the air OTA or basic cable); otherwise, you start wandering down the path of feature creap (which, to be honest, is why most people build a PVR soultion rather than using the subscription model).

Not trying to turn you off from Sage (it's a great product), but why are you looking to build your own PVR? What's the benefit you expect to receive from it? (I know you're just starting to find out about the costs).

Stu
Old 01-01-2007, 03:45 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajawoojie
Are there any a bit cheaper? Im not sure that I want to go out and spend $100 on something, especially if its for just getting started. I just want to do the basic recording for my own personal collection. Then if I end up wanting to do more, I would get a new card. But I would just rather spend as little money as possible right now.
I hear you, but you really don't have any choice since you have DirectTV (as do I). The ONLY way to go cheaper (regardless of the software you'd use) is if you had either OTA (Over The Air) or basic cable (both are simple analog TV formats so you have no STB to interface with.

You can look for and sometimes get 'refurbs' from Newegg, etc. a bit cheaper but in the scheme of things the $100 is not so bad. (you DID request a store to buy it from as you didn't want to get it via the internet which would save you money, after all)

-PGPfan
Old 01-01-2007, 01:41 PM
Sage User

I want to make my own PVR for the following reasons:
1. Somthing to do with my spare time over christmas break.
2. Somthing to do with my spare time .
3. I want to be able to record shows directly to my PC, and I dont have a DVD recorder.
4. There was no way that I could figure out to get stuff OFF of our DVR and onto my computer. (2 TV's, One in the living room with DVR, 1 right next to me without. This PVR would be for the TV right next to me.)

So, if there are no other cheap ones it looks like I dont have a choice then to get the one he suggested right?
Old 01-01-2007, 10:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainswor99
1. We really need to put together a wiki of some sort with all of the TLA (three-letter acronyms) for people. I know a lot of people think it's just for the newbies, but I still get confused when I read something for the first time.
There is this FAQ about terminology, which leads to another thread on this forum and further info elsewhere.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.