SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 11-09-2003, 05:45 AM
Sage Expert

My New Box

I am picking the ASUS Pundit because for the price and looks it is the best I have found. In that I will put in the PVR-350 and a PCI sound card with Optical out. I believe my Vortex 2 that I have laying around should be fine. Then a 2.4GHz Celeron (Can’t go wrong with a $60 CPU) and 512 of DDR at 333MHz. 333 is the max on this mobo.

Now is the Celeron sugffecient to get the job done with one tuner? I am wondering more so about the CACHE being so low but at 2.4GHz I am guessing it should be plenty of power. I may go with a P4 HT in a few months when the price drops but his system will also be at my g/f’s once I build a better one for myself.

I think I figured out the way to go. What do you guys think? What is good and what is bad? I do understand OSD is not supported until 2.0 but I am fine with that.

Thanks!
Old 11-09-2003, 07:34 AM

I am using a P3 1000 with 3 tuners. The CPU has very little to do with recording. It is realy just used for playback. I think MPEG2 playback became possible in the 500Mhz days. Don't forget the faster the machine the more noise and heat it may produce.

Unless you need the power, go for as little as you need.
Old 11-09-2003, 07:40 AM
Sage Expert

Cool, just wanted to make sure that a Celeron should be enough. I didn't think it would matter to much. I guess just the CACHE was what I was conerned about it not being enough. I figure $60 for a 2.4 is much cheaper and better then a 1.4 P4 for $120.
Old 11-09-2003, 07:41 AM
Sage Expert

Actually I am looking at getting a HDTV set with a DVI input, would the Pundit display DVI in the same quality as something such as the RADEON does?
Old 11-09-2003, 08:18 AM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via AIM to krutaw
Quote:
Originally posted by mlbdude
I am using a P3 1000 with 3 tuners. The CPU has very little to do with recording. It is realy just used for playback. I think MPEG2 playback became possible in the 500Mhz days. Don't forget the faster the machine the more noise and heat it may produce.

Unless you need the power, go for as little as you need.
I agree on the motherboard / processor / memory, however, be very careful about the tv-out card that you get. The better the card, the better the picture will be on the tv.

I ended up pulling an old Xentor 32 maxi gamer out of the junk closet to get the right picture for mine.

Andy Kruta A+, CNA, MCSA, Network+, RHCE

"It's kinda fun to do the impossible"
- Walt Disney
Old 11-09-2003, 08:24 AM
Sage Expert

Ya video is very output is very important. From what I have read the onboard S-video is pretty good on this mobo after doing some stuff to the software. But with the PVR-350 I am hearing it will be the best over everything else.

But would teh 2.4 be too much for sound? I have been using Athlons since the slot Athlons have been out and I am just now going back to Intel but have seen reviews on the fan the retails come with and it is suppose to be very quiet. But the Pundit also has it own fan and heatsink and I have read good reviews on it being quiet.
Old 11-09-2003, 09:43 AM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via AIM to krutaw
Quote:
Originally posted by phenixdragon
Ya video is very output is very important. From what I have read the onboard S-video is pretty good on this mobo after doing some stuff to the software. But with the PVR-350 I am hearing it will be the best over everything else.

But would teh 2.4 be too much for sound? I have been using Athlons since the slot Athlons have been out and I am just now going back to Intel but have seen reviews on the fan the retails come with and it is suppose to be very quiet. But the Pundit also has it own fan and heatsink and I have read good reviews on it being quiet.
I personally like the pundit because of the fact that it has so much built right into it. Here's a question, how many drives can be added to it? Also, does it use the compact flash card reader as a hard drive, or is it an intergrated device?

I had a few problems at first with my Athlon but never with the P4 that I used for awhile. I like the fact that it uses a P4 instead of Athlon, just better chips IMHO. However, rest assured that the 2.4 celeron is plenty of punch, if not too much, but hey, it's a computer, there's no such thing as too much.

Andy Kruta A+, CNA, MCSA, Network+, RHCE

"It's kinda fun to do the impossible"
- Walt Disney
Old 11-09-2003, 09:54 AM
Sage Expert

My only problem with the Pundit is the optical out is in the front and not the back. Such a stupid spot for it. Plus also not having an AGP slot is bad but if the the PVR-350 has the best output then it is the way to go so the AGP slot is no biggy. I am hoping I can mod the optical out to the back and that it will at least give me stero sound. DD and DTS would be nice but again, I am just using basic cable on this and only plan on using DVDs from my player for the highend stuff. When I move again (in a month or so) then I will build a better system to have my DirecTV hooked up and running DD and DTS, and hopfully HDTV through a box.

Not sure how the CF is hooked up. Ether way though I don't plan on using it since all my hardware that I use take SD and umm....forgot the other but it is the one that people refer it to a stamp. Man it slipped my mind and now it 's driving me crazy.

But you should see what I am building for my box for my gaming machine. The case is a VapoChill (the medium one) and runs about $500-$650, but it will keep my CPU under 0 degrees even overclocked. But I am holding off on it for now. I want 64 bit so I am just going to wait until AMD lowers the prices or Intel has their new 64 chip out.
Old 08-25-2007, 05:06 AM
Sage Icon

Did you ever get the VapoChill case or cooler? I just discovered VapoChill. Their products are very expensive, but they do claim to be able to cool CPUs to sub-zero, cooling 50 times more than air, 10 times more than water.

If you bought a VapoChill product, can you post you review of the product?

Dave
Old 08-25-2007, 03:56 PM
Sage Expert

I never did pick it up. I decided that how much I was going to have to spend wouldn't be worth it but...I am thinking about it again this past month. My system just gets way too hot now.