SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Placeshifter
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Placeshifter Discussion related to the SageTV Placeshifter application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Placeshifter software application should be posted here.

Old 01-03-2007, 08:46 PM
Sage User

SageTV Placeshifter is unable to connect

Placeshifter worked great last night, even from hundreds of miles away from the server, then but today attempts at remote access today failed, resulting in the following error;

"The SageTV Placeshifter is unable to connect to the specified SageTV Media Center Server. Please make sure that the Placeshifter is configured on your SageTV Media Center and that port forwarding is properly configured for your network. This can be done by going through the Configuration Wizard on the SageTV Media Center and testing the Placeshifter connection."

There were no changes to the server or router. Also, when I attempt to access the SageTV from another latop that is close (behind the router with the server), access is fine.

I shut down and restarted the server but no change.

Appreciate suggestions
Old 01-03-2007, 09:04 PM
Sage Icon

Is your server's IP address locked down? either via static IP or a DHCP mac adress reservation. IF not, its possible that the IP address changed and now the port forwarding is pointing to the wrong IP address.

You can access it inside the network with placeshifter, via netbios name or IP address? IF by netbios, you may not have noticed an IP address change.

Or else, the IP address to the router changed, and the placeshifter is trying to connect to an IP address that has no Sage server.

edit: Those would be my first thoughts if it works internally, but not externally. Somehow the placeshifter can't get through the router properly and get to the server.

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.

Last edited by ke6guj; 01-03-2007 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:28 PM
Sage User

Seeing something similar, but different

Upgraded to V6.0.19 from V5 a couple of weeks ago. My Placeshifters and MVPs have developed a strange tendency to work great for a couple of days, then are suddenly unable to connect. MVPs (V1.x and V2.04) see the boot server, then just hang at the "...booting ... Please wait..." splash screen.

Happens both from within my home network and from over the internet for Placeshifting. Once one MVP or Placeshifter quits working, all other devices using the Placeshifter/MVP licenses fail until I restart SageTV.

SageTV Clients are able to connect regardless of the state of the Placeshifting/MVP clients.

Anyone else seeing this and/or have a workaround?
Old 05-05-2007, 10:11 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by priority View Post
Anyone else seeing this and/or have a workaround?
I'm running 6.1.9 and a similar thing is happening to me on a current trip. We were watching Survivor offer Placeshifter (Mac) from our hotel last night and then Placeshifter for some reason just disconnected. When we tried to reconnect we saw the "SageTV Placeshifter is unable to connect..." dialog box and we've been getting that ever since. The Locator service still finds my server so something is still running (I also attempted to get in through the direct IP with the same result). Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like SageTV server knows anything is wrong or tries to clean up its disconnected Placeshifter thread. It's been over 24 hours and I still can't connect.

Next time I'll make sure I set up a way to get in to my server through some other means so I can restart the SageTV service.

My only worry is that the SageTV service is now dead and nothing is being recorded back home for the next several days.
Client: HD300, Asus Pundit P1-AH1, AMD 3800+ X2 CPU, 1 GB RAM, 6150 graphics, ArcSoft decoders
Backup: Synology
SageTV version: FINAL
Old 05-07-2007, 07:52 PM
Sage Icon

Those connectivity issues with placeshifter (and extender) happen every once in a while, I have never seen the server stop recording, though.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:30 AM
Sage Icon

this just bit me too. in the space of 10min. can't get in remotely except for the webserver. i'll restart the server when a gap in recordings shows up.

Edit: lost the MVP connection too. it's stuck on "Contacting Servers...." odd thing I noticed on my LAN switch is the full duplex led isn't lit on the MVP's port. I'd have said it was hung up, but I'm typing this on a wifi AP connected through it.

Clients: HD300 x2; HD200 x2; Placeshifter

Service: EPB Fiber (1Gb); OTA (we "cut the cord"); Netflix, Hulu, etc.

Last edited by hemicuda; 06-08-2007 at 11:39 AM.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:04 PM
Sage Icon

looks like a restart of the service fixed it. also gave me a chance to re-order the merit of my encoders.

Clients: HD300 x2; HD200 x2; Placeshifter

Service: EPB Fiber (1Gb); OTA (we "cut the cord"); Netflix, Hulu, etc.