SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 01-04-2007, 04:50 PM
Sage User

MVP PC browser Popups

Hello,

I am using MVP with IMBD and RSS feeds STVs. When using these from the PC (SageMC) I can click on a news article (for RSS) or "IMDB web site" and this will bring up a Firefox browser window with the related article/web page.

My question is: Does this work from MVP? ie: can I click on these links from the MVP unit to have the related web browser page come up on my PC where the Sage Server is running?

When I click on these links I hear a "bong" on my PC. As if it is attempting to do something on the PC, but is prevented for some reason. I'm not certain, but I do believe this was working for me at one time.

If it is possible, does anyone know of a possible reason why it wouldn't be working for my setup? I do run Zone Alarm firewall software, but shutting this off didn't help. I've also tried using IE instead of Firefox. No success.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:44 PM
Administrator

What you see on the MVP runs as part of the SageTV server application, so that is what will try to launch any other program or open Studio while using the MVP. If the server is running in service mode, it won't be able to open those windows unless the service is configured to allow it to interact with the desktop -- you can do this by configuring the SageTV service when running services.msc.

If the server is running in UI mode, it should be able to open windows as needed... or at least it does for Studio.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:41 PM
Sage Aficionado

The first time I ever tried to goto the IMDb webpage from my MVP, nothing happened. Later that eve, I walked back to the PC and Firefox was displaying the IMDb front page.

so, no. You can't browse the webpages on your TV with the MVP.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:53 AM
Sage Aficionado

As I understand, RSS only gives the headlines (and some intro text). Selecting a specific item opens the linked webpage.

The MVP does not support display of webpages (to my knowledge), so you can not read the full articles through the MVP - which I feel very sorry about as I normally only use my MVP. And it does seem to try to open it on the server (my one is 2 floors away, so I do not hear a beep or anything).

I'm not sure on the 'intro text', if it's Sage that only displays the first portion of a text, or if it's the RSS feed that gives the intro text. If Sage, it should be possible to display that text. Not sure, but guess it's the RSS feed. If anybody knows, do let me know .

I'm not sure on the IDMB webpage, where do you select this? If I do any IDMB search, I get the results in plain text on the MVP. I never saw my internet browser opened to display an IDMB webpage - so I must be missing an option somewhere?

Jan
Old 01-06-2007, 05:09 AM
Sage User

It works!

Thank you so much for the help! I can now bring up the web pages from the MVP.

Note: I am not bringing up web pages on the MVP/TV. Instead I am selecting RSS News articles from the MVP and this is causing a web browser page to open on my PC (which is running the SageMC Service).

Here is what I did (on Win XP):
- Control Panel
- Administrative Tools
- Services
- scroll down and right click SageTV
- Properties
- Log On (tab)
- Allow service to interact with desktop (check this)
- OK

Everything stopped working after that. I even tried to restart the Sage service through SageTVServiceControl. So I did a complete reboot (not sure if this is neccessary). After reboot... success!

I think this is incredible! Thank you, thank you.

Question: Is there a security concern about allowing SageTV service to freely interact with the desktop?

Would it be safer to run the SageTV service as a user instead of the default LocalSystem (with admin rights)?
Old 01-06-2007, 05:12 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JParedis
I'm not sure on the IDMB webpage, where do you select this? If I do any IDMB search, I get the results in plain text on the MVP. I never saw my internet browser opened to display an IDMB webpage - so I must be missing an option somewhere?
In the IMDB search result there is a link called "IMDB Web Site". Select this to have the real IMDB page come up in your browser... similar to RSS articles.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:59 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettra
In the IMDB search result there is a link called "IMDB Web Site". Select this to have the real IMDB page come up in your browser... similar to RSS articles.
I must be missing something ... I added a link in the main menu to the IMDB Search function, performed a search and got the results. No "IMDB Web Site" link however. I'm probably at the wrong place, but where should I got?

Jan

Enclosed the screenshot of the results screen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMDB Search Results.jpg (104.3 KB, 207 views)