SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 01-05-2007, 05:55 PM
Sage User

Hit and Miss with DVD's on MVP's

Does anyone have a bulltproof method so all DVD's will play on the MVP's?

I have some that play just fine. ALL DVD's play just fine on the full sage client. (Also on the server)

On some though, it will get stuck at the DVD menu and just freeze. I can get back to the menu, so the MVP is not frozen, I just can't watch that DVD.

I use DVDDecrypter with the .cmd file that I copied off of this site. (Someone posted it I just can't remember who.)

Any and all ideas welcome.

Thanks!
Old 01-06-2007, 08:36 AM
Sage Aficionado

Sometimes, I find that the MVP has problems with the menus. Usually, I can select 'play movie' but I just can't see the marker that points to it.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:05 PM
Sage Aficionado

You might want to make sure the DVD is the same format as your MVP. Such as if you have an NTSC MVP, you will only be able to play NTSC dvds. I haven't tried a lot of dvds yet, but they all play. Some have had the "marker" not visible, but you can still get it to play...
Old 01-07-2007, 03:57 AM
Sage Fanatic

I just noticed this with the movie "Galaxy Quest". In this case, on the real client or the server it plays fine, but the MVP won't start playback at all. I noticed that this DVD has about 20 seconds of full motion video before you see the menu. Perhaps that os something that the MVP isn't happy with.

-PGPfan
Sage Server: Gigabyte 690AMD m-ATX, Athlon II X4 620 Propus, 3.0 GB ram, (1) VistaView dual analog PCI-e tuner, (2) Avermedia Purity 3D MCE 250's, (1) HD-Homerun, 1.5 TB of hard drives in a Windows Home Server drive pool, Western Digital 300GB 'scratch' disk outside the pool, Gigabit LAN
Sage Clients: MSI DIVA m-ATX, 5.1 channel 100w/channel amplifier card, 2 GB ram, , (1) Hauppauge MVP, (1) SageTV HD-100 Media Storage: unRAID 3.6TB server
Old 01-07-2007, 12:50 PM
Sage Aficionado

The only problems I've had is when I remove the stuff before the menus. This results in 0sec clips that run and that confuses the MVP in Sage v6.0.18 and v6.0.19. It worked fine in v6.0.17 and before, though.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:15 PM
Sage Fanatic

ChePazzo,

When you say 'stuff before the menu' are you referring to trailers, warnings, etc. or something else like the motion intro right before the menu? I usually remove trailers, warnings, etc. but still like to leave the menu to allow for scene navigation.

-PGPfan
Sage Server: Gigabyte 690AMD m-ATX, Athlon II X4 620 Propus, 3.0 GB ram, (1) VistaView dual analog PCI-e tuner, (2) Avermedia Purity 3D MCE 250's, (1) HD-Homerun, 1.5 TB of hard drives in a Windows Home Server drive pool, Western Digital 300GB 'scratch' disk outside the pool, Gigabit LAN
Sage Clients: MSI DIVA m-ATX, 5.1 channel 100w/channel amplifier card, 2 GB ram, , (1) Hauppauge MVP, (1) SageTV HD-100 Media Storage: unRAID 3.6TB server
Old 01-08-2007, 09:19 AM
Sage User

As far as I know all of my DVD's are NTSC. (I wouldn't even know where to get a PAL video from)

Some DVD's will lock up at the FBI warning screeen while others will just go to a black screen. And then others will get to the menu, but nothing is selectable. (I have seen wher the pointer is not visible, but it still works. In this case, though, it is completely frozen at the menu and nothing can be selected.)

I can of course back out to the Sage Menu and watch live tv, try another DVD movie, etc.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:45 AM

Send a message via ICQ to _Demo_
Please post logs or send them to me in private messages.

Thank you

_Demo_
Old 01-08-2007, 05:00 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGPfan
ChePazzo,

When you say 'stuff before the menu' are you referring to trailers, warnings, etc. or something else like the motion intro right before the menu? I usually remove trailers, warnings, etc. but still like to leave the menu to allow for scene navigation.

-PGPfan
I remove all stuff before the first menu, but keep the menus intact. This keeps the same number of titles, but removes the data to make them 0sec in length.

Try creating the DVD folder without removing all that 'stuff' and see if that helps.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:49 PM
Sage Advanced User

I'm having the same issue.

Some DVDs that I know used to play fine with an older version 6 now just show a blank (i.e. black) screen. Others play fine, although the menu screens seem rather unstable. For example, the cursor used as menu highlight sometimes blinks. On some DVDs it can't be moved around. On others it's not visible at all.

I use DVD Shrink to rip my DVDs, so I get *everything* (including the stupid FBI warnings). This needs fixing :-(
Old 01-13-2007, 11:32 PM
Sage Advanced User

I think this is a common problem. I rip the full DVD straight to the HD. Some play, some don't. I also have have seem DVD's play once just fine and then the next time the don't. I have Little Miss Sunshine on the HD. My daughter watched it the other day no problem. I went to go watch it today and after hitting play I get a black screen. Hopefully the Sage guys can get this to work in a reliable manner.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:43 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrrl
I think this is a common problem. I rip the full DVD straight to the HD. Some play, some don't. I also have have seem DVD's play once just fine and then the next time the don't. I have Little Miss Sunshine on the HD. My daughter watched it the other day no problem. I went to go watch it today and after hitting play I get a black screen. Hopefully the Sage guys can get this to work in a reliable manner.
I have seen this black screen before. It seems to happen when the file is not ended on the previous viewing. When you select it again, Sage tries to continue from the last viewing and it ends up hanging at the end. SageMC stv has a popup that asks if you want to resume or restart from the beginning. Selecting from beginning has worked for me in these cases.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:50 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by briands
I have seen this black screen before. It seems to happen when the file is not ended on the previous viewing. When you select it again, Sage tries to continue from the last viewing and it ends up hanging at the end. SageMC stv has a popup that asks if you want to resume or restart from the beginning. Selecting from beginning has worked for me in these cases.
No.

It's happening with DVDs I just ripped. And, Sage also has this popup. It's not specific to SageMC, at least for DVD viewing through media extender. The popup doesn't appear for these DVDs - nor should it, since I'm trying to play them for the first time.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:47 AM
Sage Advanced User

FYI: I have sent the link to this thread to Sage support and explained the issues, since they don't necessarily read the boards. Now we know they know.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:31 PM
Sage User

Just checking to see if anyone has resolved this yet too? I still have many dvd's that will play. If I attempt to play it again it just shows a black screen or locks up at the menu. It's like it can't rewind and go back to the beginning. Anyone???
Old 04-14-2007, 08:31 PM
Sage Icon

not much help to you, but since moving to 6.1.8 I haven't met a stored DVD that my MVP wouldn't play. Before 6.1 I was luck if 2 or 3 of them got past when the main menu cleared.

Clients: HD300 x2; HD200 x2; Placeshifter

Service: EPB Fiber (1Gb); OTA (we "cut the cord"); Netflix, Hulu, etc.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:42 PM
Sage Advanced User

I usually have menu issues when browsing chapters. Sometimes the "highlighter" doesn't show up or it is shifted to the right. Puzzling.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:32 AM
Sage Aficionado

While the MVP does have some issues with DVD, I find that its mostly just Sage that has DVD problems.

MVP-Wise, I can watch "some" DVDs with about 80% reliability, other DVDs I can't get past the main menus. It will just hang as stated above.

Most of the DVDs that dont work on the MVP do work on the sage box. I do encounter random freezes and DVD playback errors on the server for certain disks though.

Overall, Highly disappointed with DVD playback.

Special thanks to tmiranda for making my 24h time format dream a reality. See here for more details.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:11 AM

Send a message via ICQ to _Demo_
Please send bug reports for any dvd not working with version 6.1.9.

_Demo_
Old 04-20-2007, 08:15 AM
Sage User

Same problem here. Used DVDShrink and included all elements, about 70% work, the rest I get a blank screen.

It is such a widespread problem, why can't someone at Sage just rip about 5 or so DVDs and try to play them through the MVP. I'm sure half of them wouldn't work. Always asking for more bug reports gets old and to me seems like nothing more that a delaying tactic.

The other most pressing problem, 'MVP hanging on bootup' or the 'failed to find gui server' seems to get the same treatment. We need problems like these fixed instead of rolling out new features and leaving the old bugs in the code.

Scott

Last edited by mckinsey; 04-20-2007 at 08:31 AM.