SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Placeshifter
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Placeshifter Discussion related to the SageTV Placeshifter application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Placeshifter software application should be posted here.

Old 01-06-2007, 09:52 AM
Sage Expert

Bought licence, have key. NOW WHAT?

I've used up the trial of placeshifter, desided it works well for me, so I bought the license for the software from PCALCHEMY lastnight.

This morning I recieved my keys and in no better time because my trial ran out!

but, as I uninstalled the trial, downloaded and installed the newer version linked to in my purchace, I find NO PLACE to enter or put in the key!

Whats up? There is no instruction manual or clues anywheres, and for some reason, it still thinks I'm running a trial and has "locked me out".

Fiddling with the placeshifters servers manager page, I find no place to enter the key either.

So I'm lost. Why is there not any instructions on WHAT to do with the key?

NEW: DELL OPTIPLEX 755, 4GB MEM, ATI DVIX (DUAL) VIDEO, PVR-1250MCE & PVR-500MCE, 1.3TB HDD's
Old 01-06-2007, 10:03 AM
Sage Expert

Talking

I'm such a DEE DEE DEE sometimes.....

Never mind, I found it.

Still think this should be written somewhere within the placeshifter program!

NEW: DELL OPTIPLEX 755, 4GB MEM, ATI DVIX (DUAL) VIDEO, PVR-1250MCE & PVR-500MCE, 1.3TB HDD's
Old 01-15-2007, 06:13 PM

Gee that's great

Hey you found it! Great. Thanks a million for clueing the rest of us in.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:46 PM
Administrator

I don't know what the email says that comes with the Placeshifter or extender license, but you have to register the key on the server PC -- for details, see Appendix N of the SageTV PDF manual in your SageTV dir.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:48 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon Labe
Thanks a million for clueing the rest of us in.
The rest of you have this problem?
Old 01-15-2007, 07:09 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
I don't know what the email says that comes with the Placeshifter or extender license...
The email I got with my Placeshifter license says this:

Quote:
To register your Media Extender or Placeshifter license key with SageTV go to the Start Menu->Programs->SageTV->Register SageTV Media Extender or Placeshifter License. More information is available in the SageTV Manual, Appendix M & N.
Seems pretty clear to me.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:34 PM
Sage User

is there anyway to activate without doing it from the main pc???

I am at college and wont be back for a few months so is there anyway to activate my placeshifter here?
Old 01-15-2007, 09:03 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmpower
I am at college and wont be back for a few months so is there anyway to activate my placeshifter here?
Remote Desktop, PCanywhere, or VNC into the server and you could activate it on the server. If you are in college and have your server running unattended elsewhere, it would be a good idea to get up some sort of remote access to it.

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
I don't know what the email says that comes with the Placeshifter or extender license...
Quote:
To register your Media Extender or Placeshifter license key with SageTV go to the Start Menu->Programs->SageTV->Register SageTV Media Extender or Placeshifter License. More information is available in the SageTV Manual, Appendix M & N.
Thanks for the info... I figured the email must have some sort of instructions, but I haven't looked into it in quite a while.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:31 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick

Quote:
Quote:
Seems pretty clear to me.
The only suggestion I would make is that you tell the user to go to the Start menu on the computer running Sage Media Center. Remember, not all users speak English as a native language, and not everyone is a computer hobbyist. Reading the instructions above could be interpreted as "go to the Start Menu on the box where you are installing PlaceShifter...", which of course would fail.

Of course, Appendix M is much more clear, but who reads manuals?

Stu
Old 01-16-2007, 09:03 AM
Sage Aficionado

Trouble is, the current method of registration is quite out of the norm as far as licenses are concerned.

For a first time extender/placeshifter user, it makes most sense to register their product ON the product, not server-side..

Though the instructions ARE quite clear, especially within the oft-never-used sage manual, many people get too excited to play with their new toy they skip over the fine print

I even had a 5 minute fest before I decided to re-read the license email.

Special thanks to tmiranda for making my 24h time format dream a reality. See here for more details.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:54 PM
Sage User

Send a message via ICQ to devinteske Send a message via AIM to devinteske Send a message via MSN to devinteske Send a message via Yahoo to devinteske
Same

I had the same problem. I bought myself a license of SageTV Media Center with Placeshifter license. I then followed the instructions in the e-mail. However, after following all the instructions, my placeshifter client still said that I was running a trial version.

I found out that if you have SageTV running as a service in the background, you must (SageTV version 6.0.13.1) restart the service. After I restarted the service (I did this remotely via DOS), the Placeshifter client no longer declared to be a 15 day trial.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:19 PM
Administrator

Maybe the email should just say to check the manual instead of giving abbreviated instructions... the manual states that SageTV should not be running when an extender license is registered. (Appendices M & N)

- Andy
Old 01-19-2007, 06:24 PM
Sage User

is the client the same as placeshifter? I gave the code to my mom but it said it was invalid??? she copied and pasted it directly from the email from sage

Last edited by nickmpower; 01-19-2007 at 06:34 PM.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:33 PM
SageTVaholic

No, SageTVClient is not the same as Placeshifter. Placeshifter licenses must be installed on the server; SageTVClient licenses are installed on the client machines the first time you run the client software.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:35 PM
Sage User

well whats the difference between the two softwares?
Old 01-19-2007, 07:05 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmpower
well whats the difference between the two softwares?
Placeshifter was designed to be used as a traveling client. You can use it while away to watch you TV recordings over the Internet. Hence the name of the product. You could use it on a local LAN but it does not play DVDs.

The SageTV client was designed to be installed on the local PC and act as a full blown media client. It needs the bandwidth of the LAN to watch HDTV and SD recordings, play DVD discs and rips and all the other things a media center does.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:38 PM
Sage User

alright, i emailed sage asking if i could exchange the licenses
Old 02-04-2007, 08:49 AM
Sage User

Actually, to further complicate things, I just bought a license from pcalchemy, as the original poster had. In their email they do not mention anywhere to enter the license on the server. In fact, here is the full text of the email they send.

Quote:
Dear ***:
Thank you for your purchase from pcalchemy.com.

This email contains your software license key(s) for your software purchase.
Please print a copy of this document and save it for future reference.

Ifyou should have any questions regarding your order, please contact us via email at orders@pcalchemy.com.

If you already have the software installed, you may simply enter your license key(s) into the program.

Order Number: *****

SageTV Placeshifter Software Download - Release Version:
http://download.sage.tv/SageTVPlaces..._0_19Setup.exe

SageTV Placeshifter Connection License Key:
(removed)

If you have any questions please contact sales@pcalchemy.com
As you can see they instruct you to enter it into the "program" which, one would assume to be refering to Placeshifter since they have just bought a license for that.

I think someone from SageTV might want to inform them they are instructing their customers incorrectly

Last edited by EmuZombie; 02-04-2007 at 08:55 AM.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmuZombie
I think someone from SageTV might want to inform them they are instructing their customers incorrectly
Or, as one of their customers, you could send them feedback on the instructions you received...

- Andy