SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 01-06-2007, 07:01 PM
Sage User

Wireless Media Extender Available?

New to SageTV... Want to move up to the wireless extender. Anyone know when will this be in stock?
Old 01-07-2007, 01:11 AM
Sage Icon

Better off getting a WiFi bridge (or equivalent) and connect that to a wired MVP, I've read. The wireless MVP has a pretty lame antenna/WiFi radio, so I've heard.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:49 AM
Sage Icon

I'm using that lame antenna for DVD Standard Quality. Works fine. However, as the OP said, Sage ran out.

I got mine from pcalchemy.com.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:34 PM
Sage Icon

You could try purchasing the wireless MVP directly from Hauppauge. It is more expensive than from SageTV, but they probably have them in stock.

I purchased the license and wired MVP from PCAlchemy. The unit was bad, it could not stay connected on my LAN. PCAlchemy was also out of stock when I wanted to exchange it, so I got a refund for the MVP from PCAlchemy and ordered a wireless MVP from Hauppauge. They were in-stock and shipping time was quick. I would rather buy it from SageTV, but they still don't indicate when they will be restocked.

The wireless MVP has one major downside, it can only be setup for no security or WEP security. WEP security is not secure. If you want wireless security, you have to use WPA with a 64 random character key. Maybe you could use a wired unit and a separate Eithernet to WiFi bridge which has WEP security.

Dave
Old 01-07-2007, 10:48 PM
Sage Icon

IIRC the difference in price was about $5.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:22 AM
Sage User

Sage has not had these in for quite some time.

I theorize they have had so many problems with the MVP's that they probably will not start selling them again until they can get all of the bugs worked out.