SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-11-2007, 08:55 PM

Exclamation Video sources work, but blank screen in Live TV

I have been using v 2.2.7 since it was first released, and have been very happy with it - everything worked as it was supposed, including a plug-in that ran under a copy of Sage Client on the server box to feed two MVP's. I am about to upgrade my Sage server to a new machine, and in preparation decided to go ahead and upgrade to v 6.0.19 now. I installed the upgrade according to the instructions in the manual, and everything appeared to work great. I upgraded Sage Client on another machine, installed two MVP licenses, and everything seemed great. I have two PVR-150's installed, one fed with the composite signal out from a STB controlled by the MultiDCTTuner plug-in, and the other fed directly by a cable (actually, they have slightly different external connectors - one has a composite input, and the other has a feed for the Hauppauge IR remote sensor, but both show up in Device Manager as "Hauppauge WinTV PVR PCI II (26xxx)". I'm running on an HP Media Center PC m1264n, which has integrated graphics and only three PCI slots, so the best graphics card I could get (had to be PCI) is an NVidia FX 5200. But, as I said, everything has worked fine, and seemed to still be working fine. The MultiDCTTuner plugin is working (when I tell the system to record something only available through the STB, I can see the channel change accordingly).

Then I realized I needed to try watching Live TV and recording something... No matter what channel I try to tune to (the STB-fed composite input gets many more channels), all in from Live TV is a silent, black screen that, after a few moments, pops up a prompt that says "No Signal". Likewise, any attempted new recording turns out blank.

Here's the kicker: When I go into Setup, Configure Video Sources, and select Color Calibration (for either of the two sources), I get the signal with no problem! Video and audio, it's all there, and all in the same (acceptable) quality that I've had all this time.

I've tried experimenting with different renderers, to no avail. I can watch all of the recordings that I made prior to upgrading. But nothing gets recorded and no Live TV signal (two sides of the same coin). Can anyone give me a clue as to what the problem is, and how to fix it? Thanks for any help!
Old 01-11-2007, 10:12 PM
Administrator

You could try enabling debug logging to see if the log contains any errors when you try to record something.

This should affect the color calibration screen also, but does SageTV (or the service) have permission to write to the video recording dirs?

Have you tried removing and reconfiguring the sources in SageTV? You can make a backup copy of your properties files before doing so in order to be able to restore them easily, if needed. You could even try starting with fresh properties files & do a complete reconfigure.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:22 PM

OK - I removed and re-added the video sources, and early in the process for both tuners a preview screen came up with working video and audio (just like the color calibration). I looked at the video directories where shows were to be recorded, and while directory entries appeared for files, each was shown to be of size 0 k. This makes me think that your question about Sage (or the service) have "permission to write" to the video directories may be exactly the problem.

Sorry to trouble you again, but - what exactly do I need to do to grant write permission to an application? I don't recall ever having had to do this before. Thanks very much for your help, Andy!
Old 01-12-2007, 12:28 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckushler
OK - I removed and re-added the video sources, and early in the process for both tuners a preview screen came up with working video and audio (just like the color calibration). I looked at the video directories where shows were to be recorded, and while directory entries appeared for files, each was shown to be of size 0 k. This makes me think that your question about Sage (or the service) have "permission to write" to the video directories may be exactly the problem.
I may be wrong, but if it can create the file in the first place, that seems to indicate it does have permission to write to that location.

I would try turning on debug logging -- see the link above.

Starting with a fresh properties file would be something to try also. Just make a backup copy & you can revert if you want.

I don't know if anything changed that would require updating the 150s drivers. If no one else has better ideas, don't forget to contact SageTV tech support.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.