SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Placeshifter
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Placeshifter Discussion related to the SageTV Placeshifter application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Placeshifter software application should be posted here.

Old 01-13-2007, 07:15 PM
Sage Aficionado

Cool new placeshifter client?

I got a new toy (important business enabler ) at work this week, an Imate JasJam. It's a nice piece of hardware which runs Windows Mobile 5 and has excellent connectivity via 802.11G, hsdpa, edge etc.

It supports a flavor of java via Tao's Intent platform. From what I can see intent is an implementation of J2ME that's provided with a number of mobile platforms such as Windows Mobile and Symbian. So far I've only checked out Google Maps mobile edition on it.

How cool would it be to have placeshifter running on one of these devices? I'd love to be able to sit at a cafe or airport lounge hotspot and watch all of my recorded or live tv without needing to pull out the laptop.

Can anyone with an idea of java and the support required for sage comment on how possible it might be to port placeshifter to work on these devices/platform?

Here's a tantalizing picture of MC displayed on the jasjam via terminal services.

Mick.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:07 PM
Sage Fanatic

i have a nokia 770 that i would llove to be able to do the same with
Old 01-13-2007, 08:12 PM
Sage Advanced User

For those of us in the USA, this is similar to the Cingular 8525, except we are not good enough to get the camera on the front.

One of these phones is in my near future, so I too would be interested in it running Placeshifter.

Mick, have you loaded it to see if it works or not? There is another thread somewhere about Placeshifter and mobile devices and if I remember correctly, some piece is missing from the java runtime.

Here is the other thread on this subject: Any Chance of a Placeshifting with WinCE/PocketPC/SmartPhone. This thread talks about using Webserver for SageTV by nielm as a option. If you have not checked it out yet, make sure you do.

Last edited by spike5884; 01-13-2007 at 08:25 PM.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:37 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike5884
For those of us in the USA, this is similar to the Cingular 8525, except we are not good enough to get the camera on the front.

One of these phones is in my near future, so I too would be interested in it running Placeshifter.

Mick, have you loaded it to see if it works or not? There is another thread somewhere about Placeshifter and mobile devices and if I remember correctly, some piece is missing from the java runtime.
Hey Spike,

Making a video call for the first time gave me a warm "the future has arrived" kind of feeling. Very cool if not a bit too expensive to justify everyday use. I wonder why the US version doesn't have a camera. You'd think that telcos would be clammering for the extra revenue. Maybe it's not practical on US networks yet.

I haven't loaded placeshifter onto the phone yet. I don't know where to start with this. Should I download the linux placeshifter client? Is there a specific jar that would be expected to run?

I'll do a search to see if I can find the thread that you mention.

Mick.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:38 PM
Sage Advanced User

I've got a Moto Q that's just ready, willing, and able to get a beta!
Old 01-13-2007, 08:44 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by GbrNole
i have a nokia 770 that i would llove to be able to do the same with
The 770 looks cool. What kind of java platform does it run?

SAGE is already way ahead of it's competitors as far as networked operation goes imho. Being able to support mobile devices such as these would be an incredible coup.

Mick.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:51 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike5884
Here is the other thread on this subject: Any Chance of a Placeshifting with WinCE/PocketPC/SmartPhone. This thread talks about using Webserver for SageTV by nielm as a option. If you have not checked it out yet, make sure you do.
Interesting thread. It's not suprising that others have already been asking for this. It would be nice if SAGE could devote some dev time to this but I'm sure that there are many projects in waiting.

I tried the miniClient.jar but without success. I've just been playing with orb and it's working nicely for streaming to the jasjam. I'll give Nielm's web server a go too. I've been meaning to get it setup for a while now.

It would still be interesting to get an opinion from someone who has a clue re: java whether it would be possible for the Intent platform to support the placeshifter client.

Mick.

Last edited by mickp; 01-13-2007 at 11:53 PM.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:07 AM
Sage Aficionado

From personal experience, I don't think this would work too well..

then again, that is based entirely off the fact that my Mac Placeshifter is practically inoperable on my powerbook.

Though that could be entirely linked to the Mac Version.

Special thanks to tmiranda for making my 24h time format dream a reality. See here for more details.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:08 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by FidgetyRat
From personal experience, I don't think this would work too well..

then again, that is based entirely off the fact that my Mac Placeshifter is practically inoperable on my powerbook.

Though that could be entirely linked to the Mac Version.
I use the regular sage client on the network here but have run up the placeshifter (windows version) client to check it out in the past and it seemed to work well enough. What are the issues with the Mac placeshifter?

Mick.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:36 AM
Sage Aficionado

Would also love a 'light' version of SageTV for Mobile Devices. Just got myself a Nokia N800. A lovely device with 800x480 screen and a 'custom' Linux distribution with a Open Source movement. Kind of an experiement from N o k i a. If I could make SageTV interface run on this device it would complete the device for me.

But here is my take on the situation from a technical viewpoint. I may make some wrong assumptions. But that's what these discussions are for

Ok. We know SageTV build their software through heavy use of Java. Nothing wrong with that in itself. But we get a problem with mobile devices. As of now SageTV seems to require that both the 'full' Client and PlaceShifter Client uses a full version of Java Runtime. Meaning, there is no PlaceShifter for J2ME. Even though if there was, several devices would be out of luck, because not all mobile devices have J2ME. Including my N o k i a N800 (may come a port though, in future).

My wish would be that SageTV made an open 'lightweight extender protocol'. What I mean with this is that the we can program native/non-java individual clients for mobile devices, because this 'protocol' is easy to implement. Like this, the client asks for access, and tells the interface dimension and what MPEG2/MPEG4 transcoding bitstream it wants (most optimal for that device). Only thing beeing sent between the server and device then is changed static bitmaps of interface and video stream if that is active, and key events from client back to server. I actually think this is how the MVP extender worked before Sage took it in officially, and put the intelligence into the device. I do know this will make the interface 'sluggish', but it beats not having anything at all. And it would work on most devices.

Only an idea. Probably several extra things to think of to do this. But gotta start somewhere

PS: If someone would like to know more about N800. Read on this forum for info. Is the main site for discussion about N800 & N770 (previous model).

Last edited by voidpt; 01-17-2007 at 06:41 AM.