SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 01-14-2007, 10:19 PM
Sage User

minimum specs for laptop client?

Hi all:

I am spec'ing out a server and client SageTV setup and would love your advice on whether to go with either a used laptop or-- when it comes out-- the new HD Media extender.

The media extender will probably be more economical and low maintenance, but the laptop is desirable for a few reasons: my display is a projector, so turning it on to pick MP3s is impractical-- a laptop's screen and interface is perfect for that. Also, if I got the extender I'd need a DVD player, so the laptop's ability to do double-duty would narrow the price gap by $50 and reduce wiring.

What's the least powerful laptop I could get that could handle pushing an HD signal to an EDTV projector? I don't mind a used machine with a dead battery or a small hard drive, but I don't want to spend more than $500.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Ari
Old 01-24-2007, 01:07 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by procon
Hi all:

I am spec'ing out a server and client SageTV setup and would love your advice on whether to go with either a used laptop or-- when it comes out-- the new HD Media extender.

The media extender will probably be more economical and low maintenance, but the laptop is desirable for a few reasons: my display is a projector, so turning it on to pick MP3s is impractical-- a laptop's screen and interface is perfect for that. Also, if I got the extender I'd need a DVD player, so the laptop's ability to do double-duty would narrow the price gap by $50 and reduce wiring.

What's the least powerful laptop I could get that could handle pushing an HD signal to an EDTV projector? I don't mind a used machine with a dead battery or a small hard drive, but I don't want to spend more than $500.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Ari
A labtop would require at least 3ghz to drive HD video. If the labtop has a good video card such as a GF 76xx or higher then maybe less processor. I think you may end up spending closer to $1000. Maybe you can squeeze 720p out of a used 2ghz laptop for under $500.