SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 01-18-2007, 07:51 AM
Sage Aficionado

Question What hardware do I need to get HDTV

I am about to jump into the HDTV circle. I have a 50" LCD TV that can show HD and am going to buy a 42" LCD TV. I currently have DirecTV with 4 tuners and a comcast basic cable connection. I also have 1 client setup and 3 MVPs running all wired to the Sage server. What hardware do I need to pull in HD content? Do I need to replace my Directv tuners? Is there a way to pull in HD with the basic (not digital) comcast setup?

Thanks....

Clients: 2 HD Extenders
Old 01-18-2007, 09:45 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCritical
I am about to jump into the HDTV circle. I have a 50" LCD TV that can show HD and am going to buy a 42" LCD TV. I currently have DirecTV with 4 tuners and a comcast basic cable connection. I also have 1 client setup and 3 MVPs running all wired to the Sage server. What hardware do I need to pull in HD content? Do I need to replace my Directv tuners? Is there a way to pull in HD with the basic (not digital) comcast setup?

Thanks....
I don't believe there's an easy way to get HD off of sat.

For cable, with most systems you can use the HD Homerun to pull local HD broadcasts off their system using Sage (or programs like Sage). If you don't care about the functionality of Sage, there's also the Fusion and MyHD cards (the former of which also works with Sage, but not to pull HD off cable, for that you need to use Fusion's program).

This totally ignores the computer and video card setup, but note that you need to have a rather good video system on your computer, and a fairly strong CPU.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:05 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike
I don't believe there's an easy way to get HD off of sat.

For cable, with most systems you can use the HD Homerun to pull local HD broadcasts off their system using Sage (or programs like Sage). If you don't care about the functionality of Sage, there's also the Fusion and MyHD cards (the former of which also works with Sage, but not to pull HD off cable, for that you need to use Fusion's program).

This totally ignores the computer and video card setup, but note that you need to have a rather good video system on your computer, and a fairly strong CPU.
The MyHD card will do QAM in Sage, if you use the MyHD Encoder http://forums.sage.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=13798. The HDHomerun also works very well (I have one of those, too bad I don't get more channels though).

If you're using Comcast's internet service, you should be able to get the QAM channels, if not, they may have it filtered.

Also, you can look into the R5000 mod for the direct tv receivers here: http://www.nextcomwireless.com/r5000/home.htm

Not sure if it'll work with your existing receivers, so you may need to buy new ones, and the r5000, which can get quite pricey.

Last edited by heffe2001; 01-18-2007 at 10:08 AM.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:00 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by heffe2001
The MyHD card will do QAM in Sage, if you use the MyHD Encoder http://forums.sage.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=13798..
I keep forgetting about that (and haven't really looked into it) because I have the older MyHD-120 card, which doesn't do QAM at all. Every time that thread pops back up to the top I think: "I should try that" and then I remember which version I have.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:11 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:

If you're using Comcast's internet service, you should be able to get the QAM channels, if not, they may have it filtered.
Can you expand on this? I have Comcast's internet service but I only get network HD. Are you saying the QAM HD should just be available? (I'm using the firewire setup)
Old 01-18-2007, 03:17 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by abasu2003
Can you expand on this? I have Comcast's internet service but I only get network HD. Are you saying the QAM HD should just be available? (I'm using the firewire setup)
It's been mentioned before that with any of the CableCo's, if you don't have their internet service, and have their basic service, they filter the line into your house so that certain frequencies aren't there (pretty much any digital service above whatever analog service you're authorized for). If you have their digital cable, they can't filter it, as it would also remove the frequency that your internet uses, so you should be able to get the QAM stuff that isn't encrypted (most providers filter most of their stuff), which is usually the local networks (but not always, I get all my HD stuff via my firewire motorola box, but ONLY the locals on my HDHomerun).
Old 01-18-2007, 03:39 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
It's been mentioned before that with any of the CableCo's, if you don't have their internet service, and have their basic service, they filter the line into your house so that certain frequencies aren't there (pretty much any digital service above whatever analog service you're authorized for). If you have their digital cable, they can't filter it, as it would also remove the frequency that your internet uses, so you should be able to get the QAM stuff that isn't encrypted (most providers filter most of their stuff), which is usually the local networks (but not always, I get all my HD stuff via my firewire motorola box, but ONLY the locals on my HDHomerun).
So after reading a bit further, I've noticed that HDHomerun can only get you unencrypted QAM channels.

So, if thats the case, if there no way to get something like HBOHD right now??
Old 01-18-2007, 05:09 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
So after reading a bit further, I've noticed that HDHomerun can only get you unencrypted QAM channels.

Correct. You'd need a cablecard device, like the one ATI just announced (that apparently will only be sold with new computers).
Old 01-19-2007, 07:34 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:

If you're lucky, you can pull it with a firewire connection (mine does, I can get HBOHD, SHOHD, Discovery and several others), but may end up having problems like me (it records fine, but the firewire encoder seems to mangle the header sometimes, and the files won't play without passing them through a mpeg repair utility.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:09 AM
Sage Aficionado

For local HD channels, can I just get an HD Antenna and connect it to a HD tuner? I am only 6 miles away from the transmitter....

Old 01-19-2007, 08:13 AM
SageTVaholic

For locals all you need is an antenna. I would still look at the HDHomerun device though. It is a dual tuner and since it does QAM with Sage, it also provides a different path if you ever take it.

B
Old 01-19-2007, 08:18 AM
Sage Aficionado

So the signal for HDHomeRun can come from ah antenna or a cable connection?

Old 01-19-2007, 08:19 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjenkins
For locals all you need is an antenna. I would still look at the HDHomerun device though. It is a dual tuner and since it does QAM with Sage, it also provides a different path if you ever take it.

B
I would say the same, if you're that close to the tx, a HDHR would work pretty well (2x tuners, can run either off-air or qam cable, so you can check both, or use one of each, or both on either).
Old 01-19-2007, 09:38 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
If you're lucky, you can pull it with a firewire connection (mine does, I can get HBOHD, SHOHD, Discovery and several others), but may end up having problems like me (it records fine, but the firewire encoder seems to mangle the header sometimes, and the files won't play without passing them through a mpeg repair utility.
Nope, not that lucky
Old 01-19-2007, 10:06 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCritical
So the signal for HDHomeRun can come from ah antenna or a cable connection?
Yes, but just note that being six miles away does not guarantee a signal. If you live in a hilly area, a hill might block the signal. But if you have decent line of sight to the tower area(s), you should be fine.

BTW, you can have one of the HDHR tuners do cable and one do OTA.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:09 AM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks... will look at a HDHomeRun when my $$ allow

Old 01-22-2007, 10:12 AM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via MSN to steingra
Superbowl and local HDTV signal?

Hello

I havent tried to receive any local HDTV/ATSC signals (yet) but I would like to try to receive the superbowl and other upcoming events in OTA HD.

Alos, I have been told my local cable company provides the CBS HD signal on channel 703. Of course I dont currently have an HD capable receiver from the cable company. Although I do have DISH network and an 811 HDTV satellite receiver and subscribe to all their HD channels.

So I think using local cable company is an option, but would require $$$ each month to pay for that service. And I am not sure I want to do that yet. I have 2 weeks before superbowl to get all this figured out and working.

So I am trying to figure out which route to go. I guess the cheapest thing to over the long term, do would be to get the OTA signals. But that requires an antenna and I dont know if I can get the signal or not.

We only have the CBS HDTV signal in our area. Which is OK since that is what superbowl will be broadcast on.

I guess we are about 5 miles from the HDTV signal tower. Which is nice. But we do have lots of big trees in our area. I live up on top of a 75-100+ foot hill in our town. Which is several miles acorrs. That may help us *see* the signal better?? Dont know until I try.

A few questions: Does anyone know if shows like the superbowl are going to be encrypted in some way? I am considering purchasing some type of PCI card for my fastest PC, and hooking that up to an OTA antenna. And output the DVI signal from the pc, into a projector that accepts rca, svideo, component, and DVI/VGA inputs....but I was concerned that if these OTA broadcasts are encrypted...that I might be out of luck, since my projector is not HDCP enabled. I just wasnt sure if this would be an issue for me or not?

Antennas: Do you have to have your ATSC/HD antenna outside, or do you think it would work from inside an attic in top of second story of house?? Just curious....

Thanks for any guidence on this.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:33 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:

What mpeg repair utility are you using?