SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations > SageMC Custom Interface
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageMC Custom Interface This forum is for discussing the user-created SageMC custom interface for SageTV.

Old 01-19-2007, 03:19 PM
Sage User

How to install ComSkip

Are there any instructions published on installing ComSkip?

I mean really detailed, simple instructions for V6. Something for Dummies(that would be me)

Thanks,

boxpin
Old 01-20-2007, 07:15 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxpin
Are there any instructions published on installing ComSkip?

I mean really detailed, simple instructions for V6. Something for Dummies(that would be me)

Thanks,

boxpin
I'll bump this post and ask too. I've given up with figuring how to make this work. I too am running V6 but under SageMC.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-20-2007, 07:43 AM
SageTVaholic

It's not all that difficult to setup, but the steps involved are going to depend on what programs you run.

You have a choice between Comskip and ShowAnalyzer. Personally I prefer comskip. It's free and the last time I compared the two it was more accurate and stable; however, some people get better results with ShowAnalyzer. ShowAnalyzer has a gui and some nice features that comskip doesn't have, but it does cost a few dollars.

You'll also need a program to scan the recording directories and launch either comskip or ShowAnalyzer. Some people seem to love comskip monitor because it's supposed to be easier to setup; however, from what I've read it's currently not able to launch more than 1 instance at a time. This means it isn't capable of processing more than 1 show at a time. If you're looking for simple it appears comskip monitor is the best choice. If you want to process multiple shows at once then Dirmon2 seems to be the only choice. Processing multiple shows at once is something I won't go without so for me Dirmon2 is better than comskip monitor.

The last thing you need is an stv that can read the txt or edl files generated by comskip or showanalyzer. If you're using SageMC it's included in the stv. If not you'll need to install the comskip stvi.

To summarize you need:
1 - Program to scan the recording directories and launch the detection program. (Dirmon2 or Comskip Monitor)
2 - Program to actually detect the commercials. (Comskip or ShowAnalyzer)
3 - An stv or stvi that allows Sage to make use of the results.

Once you've chosen which programs you intend to use people can help you out with the specifics. Comskip Monitor should be the easiest to setup and is free. ShowAnalyzer and Dirmon2 has the most features, but ShowAnalyzer costs around $15. Comskip and Dirmon2 is my favorite combination due to features, accuracy, reliability, and it's free.

Last edited by blade; 01-20-2007 at 07:59 AM.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:37 PM
Sage User

SageMC enable of commercial skip

First of all, thanks sooo much over your post, I've been banging my head against the wall trying to figure out what's wrong with SageMC.

My question is, why does sageMC have an option to do commercial skipping via background or/and while recording. Does this mean that sageMC is calling the comskip executable, what is the intent of that option?

Thanks!
Old 02-20-2007, 05:55 PM
Sage Advanced User

Correct me if I am wrong- but I thought SageMC had the ability to run ComSkip on its own- you only had to put the comskip executable and the .ini files in the SageTV folder.

That said- I am looking for a way to run comskip within sage without having to switch to SageMC- any STVs/imports to do this?

Thanks!