SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-19-2007, 03:59 PM
Sage Expert

volume on QAM channels in sage very low

So, I just upgraded to 6.019 last night and then configured it to work with my hdhomerun.

All is good, except, shows (when watching live TV) coming from the hdhomerun (HD or SD) have their volume really low, while shows coming from my dual tuner hauppauge are much louder.

Makes it very difficult to channel surf. Any idea how to control this? Haven't compared recordings yet.

Thanks
Old 01-19-2007, 04:02 PM
Sage Advanced User

I have had the same issue ever since configuring my HDHomeRun for QAM in Sage. I would also be interested in anyones workaround or fixes for this.

Carl
Old 01-19-2007, 04:59 PM
Sage Expert

same issue here.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:35 PM
Sage Advanced User

Same here, with the same issue when watching recordings by the HDHomeRun.

Are the rest of you encountering issues where the sound effects and music are louder than the voices, basically drowning them out?
Old 01-19-2007, 08:56 PM
Sage Icon

It's probably due to the fact that the sound from the HDHomerun is AC3 audio like DVDs. AC3 volumes are usually lower than the volume of analog or MP3 recordings.

The fix is to boost the playback volume of AC3 by adjusting it in the AC3filter config. You can boost the entire sound range, or just the voice area. YOu may need to install AC3Filter to get the confg program. I don't remember if Sage installs the configer or not.

http://ac3filter.net/

edit: nyle posted this in another thread..
Quote:
Just to try and clarrify for anyone else that's new to using sage or external decoders. I'll try and do a quick summary of what they are saying here.

1.) Download the latest AC3Filter from the official site.
2.) Install the AC3filter(The current version 111 will open a tray icon when it's in use for adjustments or you can use the offline configuration utility which is placed in a folder on the start menu under AC3filter.)
3.) Under Setup->Detailed Setup->Video/Adio select the Audio decoder for MPEG2 to be AC3filter.
4.) Now you would modify the AC3filters settings using the tray icon when something is playing or with the offline config.

5.)
a.)If you have 2 speakers turn off the Normalize Matrix option under Equalizer which may be enough. If not boost the gain a little as well.
b.)If you have multiple speakers, If you look under the different options there is a Master Gain - try raising this to your liking during playback.

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.

Last edited by ke6guj; 01-19-2007 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-21-2007, 02:03 AM
Sage Expert

this worked great for me

thanks very much
Old 01-21-2007, 01:11 PM
Sage Expert

Actually, not so perfect.

Now the audio on the non-AC3 channels is a little staticy. Not really static, breaks up (crackles?) just a little on certain tones/sounds.

What next?

Also, when Sage is running I don't see a control panel for the AC3Filter, am running 1.11.

Thanks
Old 01-21-2007, 01:32 PM
Sage Advanced User

Need a better fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj
It's probably due to the fact that the sound from the HDHomerun is AC3 audio like DVDs. AC3 volumes are usually lower than the volume of analog or MP3 recordings.

The fix is to boost the playback volume of AC3 by adjusting it in the AC3filter config. You can boost the entire sound range, or just the voice area. YOu may need to install AC3Filter to get the confg program. I don't remember if Sage installs the configer or not.

http://ac3filter.net/

edit: nyle posted this in another thread..
It has been my experience that any HD programing always has low volume primarily because of AC3 and while you can turn up the volume in AC3 filter for individual playback of these programs. It does not solve the problem when playing both HD and SD programs.
I use a Divco Fusion card for OTA HD capture and while this thread was started primarily about QAM payback it is the same issue. I have searched for a solution for turning up the recording volume on HD only content but have yet to find anything. You see in the perfect world there should be a way to automaticaly make HD or AC-3 files playback equal to SD non AC3 content.
Seasonic S-12 380w, NEC 3520a Onboard SoundStorm S/PDIF out
WD-Caviar 120GB IDE (System) Seagate (3) Baracuda 250GB sata (Pooled)
GF-7600gs Forceware 93.71 Nvida-Decoder V.4.02.223HDHR-Prime 3-Digital Fios ,HDhomeRun-Qam/FIOS
Clients:GA-MA78GM-S2H -AMD 4800- Sage TV Client-FireFly Remote - Amd x2 Turino LAPTOP - HD-100 + MVP Client DVR Verizon Fios/ B]
Old 01-21-2007, 09:42 PM
Sage Expert

helpful to know it's just the reality

of ac3 stuff. I guess I see this on TV when switching between broadcast stuff and a DVD.

Anyway, after a reboot, although AC3 is still quieter the difference is tolerable and the static is gone. thanks for the help folks.